+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of comedy makes a winner?

Oh, Gotcha, touque! I don't remember who got the most laughs by the audience during the auditions, but you're probably right that it was Ralphie.

I wonder if they sell tickets to the face-off challenges or just get people off the street to come in.

Sometimes it hard to tell who is funnier, because everyone can have an off night or the crowd may not be into what they are doing. I think comedy is the hardest thing to gauge as "who is better" because it's so subjective and what I find funny maynot be funny to a 22 year old guy in Calif or a 60 year old woman in NYC.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

FORT Newbie
    "I wonder if they sell tickets to the face-off challenges or just get people off the street to come in. "

you guys do know that all the faceoff challenges and all the stuff in the house was filmed months ago, right? I saw the first episode WITH Dat Phan.

As far as who is going to win, I have seen Dat 3 times a week for the last 3 years and I've seen Ralphie 5 or 6 times within the last couple of years and even though Dat is a friend, Ralphie has made me laugh a lot harder. However, I will say that in the last 6 months, Dat has gotten A LOT better and could give Ralphie a run for his money.

Welcome ritalinrick! Glad you decided to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by ritalinrick
    you guys do know that all the faceoff challenges and all the stuff in the house was filmed months ago, right? I saw the first episode WITH Dat Phan.
    Yes, we are aware that the show was filmed a while back. I was just wondering how the voting audience were picked to attend the show. Was it random people from the streets or people that attended other stand-up comic shows and they were given free tickets to attend the LCS stand-up part of the show? It doesn't really matter. I was just wondering outloud.

BTW, welcome rick!

Comedy is subjective. You have to know your audience. For e.g., I think Ralphie's "ghetto" humor goes over better with a "specific" crowd. Jerry Seinfeld is very successful, because his comedy consists of every day trials and tribulations and the average person can relate.

This is an interesting question, because I think there is a difference between "what kind of comedy makes a winner on this show" vs. "what kind of comedy makes for a successful comedian, career-wise."

So far, on this show, it seems like more conventional stand-up has worked better in front of the "comedy warehouse" audience. Given that Ralphie beat Rob by a margin of 85% to 15%, it seems that Ralphie's more conventional material was more well-received than Rob's more abstract stuff. Same thing with Cory and Tere - Cory's material is far more run-of-the-mill than Tere's, and Cory trounced Tere in the head-to-head challenge.

But in real life, there is certainly a place for someone whose stand-up act is a little less conventional. Take Steven Wright, for example - his delivery and material is offbeat, but he's definitely made a career for himself. There is certainly a market for this type of humor, and if Rob continues to work on his act, I'm sure he could make a living from doing stand-up. He might not be as big as Jerry Seinfeld or Bill Cosby, but he could still do well.
    "It takes grace to play the second fiddle well" - The Fall, "Strife Knot"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12