+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: 7/1 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I hope if they pick on Dat next he mops the floor with one of them. He was pretty funny in the semi finals.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

OK, I just watched the tape of Tuesday's show and here's a few random thoughts:

I'm no fan of Cory or Tere, but Tere hit the nail on the head when she said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that Cory's act isn't anything new and that there are a lot of other comics out there doing the exact same thing. And I agree - I don't laugh at Cory's stuff because it isn't fresh: I've heard it all before, and from comics a lot better than her.

Tere's act, while not particularly funny, is at least more original than Cory's - I'll give her an a 'C-' for content, but an 'A' for effort.

About Dat Phan and his recordkeeping: the other comics might think he's a little nuts, but I think Dat approaches comedy the way an athlete approaches performance: the numbers matter. It's one way for him to track his progress as a comic, by measuring laughs per minute. How else would you know if you were getting better? How else would you know which bits to leave in your act and which to jettison if not by measuring the number of laughs each bit got?

So, while the other comics might be singling him out as a target (and making fun of him because of stats and charts), I'm looking forward to seeing him kick some butt during the challenge rounds, because I'll bet his act has been fine-tuned to get the most laughter possible.
    "It takes grace to play the second fiddle well" - The Fall, "Strife Knot"

I think that, next week, if the "triumverite" of Vos, Dave, and Cory picks Dat(Tess would pick him too, I would imagine), Dat would either go against Tess or Cory. I see him beating Cory. Although I think she is funny, I would have to think Dat would bring his good stuff and beat her.

It will be interesting the first time the person with the most votes actually BEATS the person that they challenge, and gets to return to the house.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by Doctor Mosby

Tere's act, while not particularly funny, is at least more original than Cory's - I'll give her an a 'C-' for content, but an 'A' for effort.
    I agree with you to some extent, Dr. M. But personally, if something isn't very funny I don't care how original it is.

Originally posted by Wayner
    I agree with you to some extent, Dr. M. But personally, if something isn't very funny I don't care how original it is.
    True, but I think the difference is that Tere has some sense that you need to be original in order to stand out as a comic, and Cory doesn't have that same understanding. If Tere continues to work at it (and she still needs a lot of work), she might eventually have an act that is original and funny. Cory, on the other hand, is someone I don't see developing any further as a comic - she already seems stuck in a well-worn rut.

Other people on this show like Dave, Ralphie, and Dat have each carved out a distinct comic persona that they bring to the stage, and I think they also have the understanding that a comic has to bring something fresh in order to succeed. (Plus all three of them have solid material, which helps ) These three all have a good shot at becoming nationally-known comics (well, they are now, but maybe only to LCS watchers); Cory, on the other hand, is doomed to the lower rungs of the ladder.
    "It takes grace to play the second fiddle well" - The Fall, "Strife Knot"

Originally posted by levi_d
    Ok, that's really off-base. The fact that someone would have to ask "Am I the only one who doesn't like Tess?" meaning that they're seeing a lot of people who do (she's my fave) would say that it's just diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Just because you don't like her doesn't mean she got through because she's like Mo'Nique. I mean, I can't stand Rich Vos, but I'm not saying he only got through because he had a friend on the judging panel (Colin Quinn). He has a lot of people who think he's funny. I'm just not one of them. So what? Same goes for you and Tess.
    Whoa.

I didn't say that being like Mo'Nique was necessarily a bad thing. Mo'Nique is certainly a funny woman who has a solid audience base, or she wouldn't have gotten as far as she has. I also didn't say that her being a judge is the reason Tess got in.

BUT! People have to be able to relate to a comic in order to find them funny. The comic's material has to speak to you in some way. So as far as Mo'Nique goes, I do think it probably benefited Tess to have someone who has such similar comedic sensibilities on the judging panel. Same with Rich Vos - do I think Colin Quinn got him in? No, but the shared sense of humor has to have helped. I also think Rob Cantrell benefited from Joe Rogan being a judge.

Again, though, that's one judge in their corner. Each comic had to get through six judges to get on the show.

I never said Tess lacked talent, and she's certainly shown that she has charisma, but does she have what it takes to win? I don't know, I think she needs to be able to relate to a broader spectrum of the audience. I posted my thoughts on that in the "What kind of comedy makes a winner?" thread. I do think she's relatively funny. I just don't think she's nearly as funny as all the hype makes her out to be.
    Joy
    Blogging away in my LaughAtlantis world...

+ Reply to Thread