+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddy Hackett Dies at Age 78

Buddy Hackett Dies at Age 78

Really sad to hear this news this morning. Thought it was appropriate here since Buddy was one of the guest judges for Last Comic Standing.

Really love Buddy Hackett. Lots of good memories for great jokes and stand up.

Mods feel free to move to Current Events as appropriate.

Link:
    http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/...c50a310f0.html

Full Story:
    Buddy Hackett 1924-2003
    Comedian, actor instrumental in rise of stand-up comedy
    By Paul Brownfield

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Tuesday, July 1, 2003

MALIBU, Calif. -- Buddy Hackett, who broke into comedy as a young waiter-performer in New York's Catskill Mountains and went on to achieve iconic status as a raunchy nightclub performer and rubber-faced clown in movies including "The Music Man" and "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," died Monday at his home in Malibu. He was 78.

The cause of death was not immediately clear. Hackett had been suffering from a chest cold, although he had been in "robust good health" until a few days ago, according to a family spokesperson.

Hackett hadn't worked professionally since 1996, when he stopped performing after experiencing dizziness and shortness of breath onstage.

Like Milton Berle or Henny Youngman or Red Buttons, Hackett is among the pantheon of Jewish comedians forever associated with the rise of the stand-up comic on stage, radio and, eventually, television.

Over the decades, to be sure, Hackett's look helped make him inimitable: the rotund body with the cross-eyed gaze and the delivery in which he seemed to be talking out of the side of his mouth. His 1950s TV credits include his own sitcom, "Stanley," in which Hackett ran a newsstand in a swanky New York Hotel. The series, which co-starred Carol Burnett as Hackett's girlfriend, was broadcast live by NBC during its brief run in 1956-57. The pilot was co-written by Neil Simon.

A year later Hackett replaced Art Carney as a regular cast member on CBS's "Jackie Gleason Show," and he began showing up on Jack Paar's "Tonight Show," something he would continue to do when Johnny Carson took over the reins from Paar.

This is so sad.

I just added another report of this to the Current Events forum too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Wonder of LCS will make any mention of this during the show tonight? (Realize the show is on tape, but hope they will insert a memorial spot)

For those of us who are old enough to have grown up watching Johnny Carson each night, it's just sad to see another of the 'greats' go.

It's been a strange week for celebrity deaths, no?

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I think I need to borrow my friend's copy of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" this weekend. What a shame to hear of his passing.

I've got to say though, Buddy looked way older than 78 to me.

FORT Fan
    He was also in one of my favorite movies of all time..."The Music Man". He always made me smile when he sang, "Shabookie".

wow... sad indeed. And yes Bumpkin, it has been a strange week, and it's only Tuesday!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fan
    You know, I just can't help thinking of Lang Parker. What a nice memory she has of him telling her that she was a "star".

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

My favorite Buddy Hackett line (in reference to a woman's "monthly visitor"):

"What's your 'flo like?
    Linoleum!"

Buddy...you will be sorely missed
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

Originally posted by Marysafan
    You know, I just can't help thinking of Lang Parker. What a nice memory she has of him telling her that she was a "star".
    Joe Rogan will also have a nice memory when he was told to shut the f* up by Buddy.

It's sad that Buddy is gone.

FORT Fan
    There is a really nice tribute to Buddy on Dat Phan's site including a quote from Lang Parker saying how much that meant to her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast