+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My issues with this show...

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sheela
    I don't think LCS's goal is to show us what the comics are like IRL.
    Isn't that the entire point of reality TV though? - to show what people are "IRL" At least thats how it's marketed to the general public.

How many posts (not just here, I mean everywhere) have I read from people criticizing the reality contestants for "acting so fake" , or doing certain things just to "extend their 15 minutes."?

LCS probably thought what most people think: comics walk around 24 hours a day making people laugh, when in fact its probably the exact opposite.

I agree about the "real life" situation scenario and seeing how comics really do get along with one another. There are a few comics who have made it that I would love to see sequestered and "challenged" like this. Janeane Garofalo (sp?), Ellen Degeneras (sp, again?), Richard Jeni, any one of the younger Wayans brothers, to name a few. You could go for some of big names (i.e., Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Jim Carey, Whoopi, etc.) but I think once you've done Barbara Walters or something similar you've pretty much layed it out there so it wouldn't be as interesting and the challenges would be popularity contests.

I'm not sure what this group is doing by creating alliances in groups like this, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skwadim
    LCS probably thought what most people think: comics walk around 24 hours a day making people laugh, when in fact its probably the exact opposite.
    An interesting thought, skwadim. But since Jay Mohr is a comic himself, and he's the executive producer of the show, I'm guessing he had a pretty good idea about what comics are like when they aren't on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    An interesting thought, skwadim. But since Jay Mohr is a comic himself, and he's the executive producer of the show, I'm guessing he had a pretty good idea about what comics are like when they aren't on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by skwadim
    Isn't that the entire point of reality TV though? - to show what people are "IRL" At least thats how it's marketed to the general public.

... LCS probably thought what most people think: comics walk around 24 hours a day making people laugh, when in fact its probably the exact opposite.
    Skwadim, you've started an interesting thread.

I don't think that most people expect comics to be "on" all the time. Everyone tunes in to see the comics perform. And that's precisely what we are seeing. Albeit not all of it on stage, and not all of it funny.

As for "reality TV," it's an unfortunate misnomer, imo. People are put in unreal situations, their environments are manipulated, they are asked leading questions in the hope that they'll say something outrageous, music and sound effects are added, and the whole thing is edited to produce "good" and "bad" characters that we can love or hate. Most of us understand that and it doesn't diminish our enjoyment of the show or stop us from commenting on the contestants.

The point of reality TV, imho, is to entertain.

I really liked the early part of the show where we got to see little bits of all their acts and was disappointed by the first episode after they moved into the house.

I'm used to it now and am enjoying it.
    "That's Numberwang!"

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Some clarification about the rules and when America gets to vote would be nice... sheesh!

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    Some clarification about the rules and when America gets to vote would be nice... sheesh!
    True. But look at how much discussion they're getting out of keeping us in suspense.

And if we knew the answer, I wouldn't have had such a catchy title for one of my recaps.

FORT Regular

The point of reality TV, imho, is to entertain.
    Well I think the point of TV in general is to entertain. It's how the goal is accomplished: "Reality TV" does it by taking non actors (well one would think), no script, limited sets (a house, an island, a stage) putting them together and seeing what conflicts may ensue. In many cases conflict is instigated by the shows creators (through games, challenges, immunity, etc..)

Now in my view, comics can be entertaining "IRL" but not because they are cracking jokes non-stop but because comics are very insecure people! And insecurity can lead to conflict.

But I turn on the TV 15 minutes before the shows end, because I'm in it for the comedy, nothing more.

Thanks for your response.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345