+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are comics so self depreciating? I wonder what is their star sign?

FORT Regular

Why are comics so self depreciating? I wonder what is their star sign?

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Interesting question. I know that growing up I never really felt like I fit in. I used self deprecating humor because making people laugh felt good, and they accepted me more easily. And I was self deprecating because I had no confidence, and if I poked fun at myself, I beat someone mean to the punch and they couldn't do it. If you saw 8 Mile, when Rabbit ripped on himself, he took all the ammunition away from his rival. It was like that for me.

As for star signs, I'm a Libra. But I have no clue what that means. .

FORT Regular

Re: Why are comics so self depreciating? I wonder what is their star sign?

Originally posted by domiagnew
    Because comedy and tragedy are two sides of the same coin.

wayner... I'm not sure I like that story

I agree with both Wayner and Skwadim though. A lot of funny people use self depreciating humor as a defense mechanism. Others may not need it as a defense, but poking fun at yourself/your heritage/sex/weight/color is somehow seen as OK whereas making fun of other people or their heritage/sex/weight/color is not acceptable

Humor and tragedy are the same coin, just like love/hate... it takes pasion to love someone, but it also takes pasion to truly hate someone.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Not to worry, Cali; I grew up into a confident, relatively well-adjusted (shut up Paulie ) individual.

Of course, that's why I'd make an absolutely horrible stand-up comic.

Oh I know you're good to go now ... just made me feel sad
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Regular
    Another point worth metioning:

Most successful comedians have undergone a great deal of suffering and in turn base their entire acts and "voice" on that experience. I'd even venture to say its a requirement to experience suffering to being a successful comedian. (Note, It's a necessary but not sufficient requirement, it's not enough to just suffer).

An exception to that rule I'd say is Jerry Seinfeld: but his success is not as a comedian, rather a television star. His voice of "everyday observational humor" translated well to a television medium.

That suffering has to be real and believable to the audience - just as an example: There was a very attractive, "hot" blonde as one of the contestants on the show. I knew she probably wouldn't make it - She probably has had people bend over backwards for her, her entire life! How many people can relate to that? How many people are gonna believe she has anything to complain about?

Re: Re: Why are comics so self depreciating? I wonder what is their star sign?

Originally posted by skwadim
    Because comedy and tragedy are two sides of the same coin.
    That's the point the Vietnamese comedian made. He went through a lot of tough times so comedy came easy for him.

I agree with you, skwadim.

In any case, this question opens up some philosophical conundrums. Arthur Koestler writes, if I can remember it correctly, about how creativity is the mixing of two matrices. With humor, we are shocked by absurdity (at least with certain types of humor), so we see the proper straight-backed tight-bunned librarian slip on a kid's skateboard (the decorous rigid matrix clashes with the freeflow kidworld matrix) and we laugh. Perhaps when we hear a comedian say something self-deprecating, we partly imagine the situation they describe and we also witness an upstanding individual say, "I'm a dumba*s because..."

dea
    FORT Newbie
    I always wanted to do stand-up, but I am such a chicken, and for the last 14 years I have lived in small towns with no comedy clubs. I don't look at it as self-deprecating, really, but there are certain things that have happened in my life that just scream to me "you have to do comedy!". I mean, really, did anyone else lose their virginity to a white rapper who called himself the"Caucasian Devastation"? No? It was only me? Please, if that's not comical (and a perfect example of super bad judgment) I don't know what is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast