+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are comics so self depreciating? I wonder what is their star sign?

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    "Caucasian Devastation"?

dea, you really DO need to do comedy!

FORT Newbie
    I used to do stand-up (late 70s through around 1984). Self-depreciating humor was the norm for me, having grown up in the 60s & 70s with the usual mix of school bullies, bad luck in dating, etc. It just came natural.
    I'm enjoying the series so far. The editing leaves a bit to be desired (leaving out a lot...or seems to) but I like the show.

Welcome to the FORT, Mark!

I also grew up in the 60s & 70s. There was this guy I grew up with - I was always bullying him and stealing his dates...

I'm kidding. Very cool that you did stand-up. I used to see a lot of comics just getting started when I was in college in San Francisco, and I always appreciated the ones that seemed natural and not forced. I can't imagine how tough it must be to be good at stand-up.

I have a great friend who recently finished his training with Second City here in Chicago. He's absolutely one of the funniest people I've ever known in real life. He's smart, he's witty, he thinks fast. Comic genius, really. He's also obese. The thing is, when you look at him, you notice it. How can you not? I'm not saying everyone judges him, but they're all aware of it. So he makes fun of himself. He isn't necessarily doing it because of some deeply rooted self-hatred, but he's doing it because it's there, and damnit, it can be funny.

He's also a Gemini. No clue what that matters, though.

Very cool for your friend, ajg!

The closest I've come to doing comedy was once I was in the front row at Rooster T. Feather's comedy club in San Jose, and this female comic made fun of me losing my hair. Ooh, that was original. I should have responded with "I may be losing my hair, but at least I'll never have to worry about my boobs starting to sag."

Wayner

You're probably lucky you didn't. Hell hath no fury like a woman whose boobs -and levels of sagitude - have been called into question.

Originally posted by ajg113
    Wayner

You're probably lucky you didn't. Hell hath no fury like a woman whose boobs -and levels of sagitude - have been called into question.
    Especially one that was all proud of having been in Playboy, like the comic in question.

FORT Newbie
    Dave from MN was very impressive in the set he did that eliminated Sean Kent.
    I had a feeling Sean was going to go. He looked terrified on the ride over to the place where they did their sets. And whenever one of the comics said "I know I'm funnier than....Sean" the camera showed him & he was getting a nervous twitch. Some comics can take that & make it a strength & he did pretty well. But not good enough. Dave started slow for about 30 seconds....then his set picked up big time.
    Next week will be fun to watch.

Mark! Glad you could join us.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12