+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11/21/07 - show discussion **spoilers**

FORT Regular

Re: 11/21/07 - show discussion **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Badseed;2688624;
    Tell me if I'm closed-minded, but I don't like mixing sweet stuff with meat. Did chocolate syrup seem like a good idea to anyone here? It reminded me of Rachel's shrimp and chocolate from season 2 of Hell's Kitchen.
    Yeah, chocolate with any form of meat and/or seafood is a sure sign of trouble. In the current episode of the UK KN (La Parra Revisited), the chef's signature dish was prawns in chocolate sauce. Ramsay grilled him over it (pun intended).

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2688750;
    Ick! Same here. That reminds me of Shelby's, a self-proclaimed "fine dining" (believe me, it was anything but!) restaurant in La Jolla. Their signature dish was something called "cherry chicken."
    Hmm... maybe they will get their own episode of KN one day, if they can last that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Advantage;2689030;
    Yeah, chocolate with any form of meat and/or seafood is a sure sign of trouble. In the current episode of the UK KN (La Parra Revisited), the chef's signature dish was prawns in chocolate sauce. Ramsay grilled him over it (pun intended).

So then, I've got to know. How does orange chicken sell so well?

Quote Originally Posted by Advantage;2689038;
    Hmm... maybe they will get their own episode of KN one day, if they can last that long.
    I think they might already be out of business -- last time I drove past there, it looked abandoned. I don't remember seeing any cars in the parking lot. What a shock!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Badseed;2689100;
    So then, I've got to know. How does orange chicken sell so well?
    I didn't say anything about meat and fruit combinations, I like pineapple chicken myself. Chocolate and meat is the no no.

I like mango salsa and salmon. Some of the fruit salsa's also go well with chicken, pork and duck. Not so much beef. Well, I can see an orange or cherry sauce if done right with beef. I did have duck for Turkey Day and it was supposed to be in a cherry sauce, but really it was more orange based with some madarin oranges on the rice pilaf. It actually added a tang of sweetness to the meat and rice without being over powerful.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Fruit salsas and glazes do go well with meat. But it has to be a pairing, along with the right acid/spice/other-stuff balance. When everything works -- yowza. When not, blechhhhh!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

There is a Mexican chocolate sauce (mole) which uses unsweetened cocoa and is used on various meats. I think the real problem was that he used Nestle's syrup, which is borderline acceptable on ice cream, but unacceptable on anything else.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2690498;
    There is a Mexican chocolate sauce (mole) which uses unsweetened cocoa and is used on various meats. I think the real problem was that he used Nestle's syrup, which is borderline acceptable on ice cream, but unacceptable on anything else.
    I have heard of mole sauce and have a hard time imagining chocalate on my meat, but Nestle's Chocolate Syrup with lamb..UGH!!! Talk about an interesting flavor profile.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2689021;
    I, too, am sorry that Lela lost the business, but . . .

Buzzard? Come on. How could Lela possibly NOT have known? Was her head THAT far up her rear about this guy? Was she always or most times present in her place of business and didn't hear SOMEBODY complaining about the stuff he was taking out? Or SEE him going out the door at odd times (i.e., whenever he felt like it) with a bag in hand?

Come ON!

Also, the bickering that was always going on among the staff --- most notably between the cook and Tabitha . . .

You mean to tell me Lela never heard or witnessed any of that, then put her foot down and put a stop to it (ESPECALLY after in-house customers were making comments to the effect of what in the world was going on back there, etc.)?

"Fine dining" in a college-type, laid-back town?

Huh?

Chocolate sauce on lamb?

I'm sorry, but Lela never should've had the business in the first place.
    I agree with ALL you stated, other than feeling sorry that Lela lost her business. She deserved worse.

They never showed (or I missed) what role she played at that fine eating establishment. Whatever it was, she wasn't an effective boss at all. Nor was she any kind of a visonary, setting up 'fine dining' {hardy har har} on Ghost Town Blvd. I was waiting for tumbleweeds to make an appearance.

NO ONE in the business could have missed the endless cuss-fests being done as sport and entertainment. Nor theft and other low life behavior which appeared to be the norm rather than an exception.

Good riddence to them all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12