+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 10/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/17 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Thanks to some show on the food channel or Cooks Illustrated I am now able to cook a perfect steak everytime and they generally surpass any restaurant. It is very easy to do. In a skillet, on a grill or in a broiler. The trick to broiling is to keep the oven door open during the entire process, including allowing the coil to heat if you are using electric. It takes some experimentation but you cook the steak to the point of rare if you are aiming for medium rare, wrap the steak in foil for a full five minutes after. This enables the steak to cook further from its own heat to it's proper doneness rather than going over and allows the juices to distribute.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2617943;
    Thanks to some show on the food channel or Cooks Illustrated I am now able to cook a perfect steak everytime and they generally surpass any restaurant. It is very easy to do. In a skillet, on a grill or in a broiler. The trick to broiling is to keep the oven door open during the entire process, including allowing the coil to heat if you are using electric. It takes some experimentation but you cook the steak to the point of rare if you are aiming for medium rare, wrap the steak in foil for a full five minutes after. This enables the steak to cook further from its own heat to it's proper doneness rather than going over and allows the juices to distribute.
    That seems like a bit of a hassle. I'd rather just go to a steakhouse.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

First I must say it was a beautiful building. The interior wasn't so bad. I sorta though Gordon would have the linens changed to white. I personally do not care about photos and history of the place I want a good meal, fast and for a reasonable price.

I thought the sign that the design crew came up with was HORRIBLE. They basically tiled slate tiles on to a board and hung it up. I could barely make out the letters as the bronze color faded into the background. The projected light sign shown at the end of the show was much, much better.

The kitchen/chef...there was only one person doing the cooking??? Not a good idea. At least the kitchen was clean.

Why is it the owner, Tom the manager and Blondie the hostess all look as if they are doing the same job and not helping out very much.

Totally disliked it that the owner blamed the wait staff for being incompetent. Hey he is leading by example. As if the reason for the restuarent failing is their fault.

You are $500,000 in debt by doing business the way you have and you don't want to change things because you are afraid you will fail. What part of being $500,000 in debt and still loosing money is being successful??

Are there any competent restaurant managers out there? I would love to see one on this show.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I thought the sign that the design crew came up with was HORRIBLE. They basically tiled slate tiles on to a board and hung it up. I could barely make out the letters as the bronze color faded into the background. The projected light sign shown at the end of the show was much, much better.
    Totally agree on the crappy sign. Looks like they threw it together at night. And the little "steakhouse" sign next to it looked even more crappy.

When the owner's wife came in the office asking for money, he had a big cigar he was contemplating. Hope that wasn't an expensive brand, being $500,000 in debt.

Just because they're located next to the retirement home didn't mean they had to cater to them. The lower Hudson Valley has plenty of affluent people willing to drive to a good restaurant. Menu really needed that change.

The owner did a nice job in converting the old building into a restaurant. Maybe that is his calling. He really doesn't know food, or how to run a restaurant.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLVNV;2617414;
    Heh! I love that "I've got 12 highly successful restaurants...my man...and you've got nothing".
    I find that self grandizing comment very disappointing coming from GR. He would never say that in the UK version, in fact, he talked about how he had to close down one of his resturants in Scotland in one episode.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2618383;
    Are there any competent restaurant managers out there? I would love to see one on this show.
    If they were competent, they wouldn't need to be on this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Advantage;2618459;
    I find that self grandizing comment very disappointing coming from GR. He would never say that in the UK version, in fact, he talked about how he had to close down one of his resturants in Scotland in one episode.
    He did also mention failing at one point Advantage. The comment, I feel, was justified as the owner was questionning Gordon's abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2617964;
    That seems like a bit of a hassle. I'd rather just go to a steakhouse.
    it is a hassle, and I don't care what anyone says, a steak just like lots of other food just isn't the same at home.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2618646;
    it is a hassle, and I don't care what anyone says, a steak just like lots of other food just isn't the same at home.
    Exactly. I love cooking but things just taste better when someone else makes them and serves you.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2618383;
    I happen to know one personally.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast