+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Show discussion thread 9/26

Ti5
    FORT Newbie

Re: Show discussion thread 9/26

I just read that the judge in the lawsuit has sent the case to arbitration!

Manhattan restaurant manager Martin Hyde was fired during the filming of a “Nightmares” episode, then filed a $1 million lawsuit in U.S. District Court against Mr. Ramsay and the show’s producers in June. Mr. Hyde accused “Nightmares” of planting spoiled meat, fixing a chair to fall apart and hiring actors to pose as guests lending the appearance of a successful makeover. Earlier this month, a judge tossed the suit into arbitration.
    www/tvweek.com/news/2007/08/gordon_ramsay_lawsuit_kitchen_ nightmares.php

(sorry...still not allowed to post links)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2590557;
    The more I watch the American version of this show, the more I think the guys at Fox don't really "get" Kitchen Nightmares as a show. There's too much personal drama and the way they edit it overwhelms the whole show. Also, the way they show the changes to the restaurant is too sudden. On the UK version, you really see the progression and effort they put in. Here... it might as well be magic.

Frankly, I think Fox is doing a piss-poor job of translating the show to the US. They imported the name and the overall idea of the show, but they're not doing the things that made the original so successful and well-received. The original won a BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) Award and an International Emmy. The Fox version is not even close.

As for the episode itself... the managers and the owner are lucky none of them are in jail. The conditions in the restaurant were so bad, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in violation of some law that could result in jail time. And Martin has the temerity to sue? Unbelievable.
    I agree. I was stunned to learn that this case is going to be heard in court. Judges are as eager to spend our tax dollars as the litigious Martin I guess. This show is a huge disappointment but I expected it. If a tape of the show is allowed in court it will be the end of it but the prosecution will stop that, most likely and on it will go.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2588061;
    Why the hell do they need 3 stupid managers??
    Hah...

You answered your own question...

I finally got this one mostly watched... I should finish before I get through the posts...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

So THIS was the episode that caused the law suit... Apparently, the current customer reviews have vindicated both Fox and Ramsey...

Sorry Martin...

Though he should not have been singled out... Heheh...

;0))

Hmmm...

It seems the latest reviews have nothing to do with THIS restaurant...

The new name, courtesy of Gorden is "purnima"... IT seems to be OK reviewwise...

;0))

I'm finally posting.....I just wonder if they passed out barf bags with the bill.....ewwwww

I sure hope Martin walks away with absolutely nothing. The restaurant is much better off without him.

I thought the restaurant owner was next to useless too. He was so passive and allowed all the mismanagement......he really needs to find a different business interest.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2591271;
    .....I just wonder if they passed out barf bags with the bill.....ewwwww
    I sure could have used one. I was too nauseated to watch Top Chef, afterward.

I still have the episode on tape, but I can't go back there. If I remember correctly, Martin quit. He said he didn't need the abuse (or something like that) and walked off the job. How ridiculous that his lawsuit is going forward. Is this the same judge that's presiding over the 65 million dollar lost pants lawsuit?

The thing about the U.K. version being better than the U.S. version, it's not surprising at all, really. All of their programming is better, IMO. They pretty much shun the bells and whistles, which U.S.A. apparently loves, in favor of the written word. They definitely have that over us, many times over.

Of all of the three episodes that have aired so far, I think this one is closest to the spirit of the UK edition. Here, there's less drama, less scapegoating, and more focus on the restaurant itself. ...needless to say, eating out has become much less appealing! I'm sure I've walked past this restaurant a few times. Thank goodness I never thought about going inside.
    Gustav Holst was right!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345