+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 9/19 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Leo
    Premium Member

Re: 9/19 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Why do I get the feeling those, uh, bill collectors weren't after the restaurant, but Peter personally? I have a hard time imagining his income (both legitimate and ill-gotten) is enough for his lifestyle.

I don't want to judge a new show based just on the premiere, but I don't think Kitchen Nightmares translated very well to the US screen. There was too much of Peter-and-the-Mob, and precious little else. We never got much chance to find out if, say, the head chef is really up to scratch, etcetera. (I had to admit, though, his reactions when Peter got dressed down after dinner service = priceless.)

I half-suspect that Peter's will get some regular costumers soon... namely, the FBI.

Why do I get the feeling those, uh, bill collectors weren't after the restaurant, but Peter personally?
    Those, uh, bill collectors were actually a personification of the 1970s. They wanted their polyester suit and knock-off jewelry back.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Newbie

As others have said, the BBC version is far superior (which I guess is to be expected seeing that FOX has given it there special lowest common denominator treatment.)

On the BBC version, the restaurant is the focus of the show and although personality conflicts often do occur they are not the focal point of the program. One of my favorite parts of the BBS version is when Gordon revisits the restaurant to see how well or how poorly his changes worked out. FOX completely cut that segment out in favor of more bickering.

I enjoy Gordon Ramsay and will continue to watch. I just hope that the show will tone it down a bit and focus more on the kitchen and the process of cooking. Judging from next weeks preview though, I think we are all in for more of the same.

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

Well, BBC may be better or not, I liked this episode... I think they all had fun - real or staged... (Well, I hope one or other, or the mob will put out a hit... And at this point, I really don't care if it's Peter or Gordon... :LOL

That's just wrong... I really like Gordon... ( But I could not make myself say "LURVE"... THAT is just WRONG!!!)
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

Frankly I think the focus was on Peter because Peter was the problem. I think the chefs,wait staff and the sister are capable of making the place a success. Peter is nothing more than a "Hoover" Peter was slowly sucking the life out of the restaurant and stealing the cash out the till.

I think Gordon did attack what was making the restaurant fail the menu and Peter.

FORT Fogey

Yes, Peter was the problem but that drama should not have dominated the show. There were many problems and we never got to see them resolved. What about the food?!

Food? Restaurants have food?
    Maybe the menu wasn't worth showing. I hear it's just risotto and Wellington.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

If I recall they did ask some of the diners about the food and they said it was good. I really think Chef Ramsey felt the Chef's capable if they had a kitchen that was workable. The condition of the kitchen was fixed, which the Chef's said was a problem.

Peter's inability to understand that he needs to change was the other problem. After chef Ramsey ripped Peter a new one he seemed to change for the better. Imo those are things that caused the restaurant the most problems and they have been addressed.

All restaurants in trouble are not failing because of the food. Alot are failing because of mismanagement and poor financial planning.

FORT Fanatic

caught this show by chance and have to say that i really enjoyed it. it was interesting to see gordon confront peter on his destructive behavior and the reaction from the waitstaff/cooks. I'd like to think that peter's new self awareness will have a permanent effect on his behavior: probably not, but one can never underestimate the power of the mighty dollar. In any event, i will probably never be able to eat at a small family restaurant again after seeing the "before" kitchen.
    Last edited by autumnsessence; 09-23-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;2583081;
    If I recall they did ask some of the diners about the food and they said it was good. I really think Chef Ramsey felt the Chef's capable if they had a kitchen that was workable. The condition of the kitchen was fixed, which the Chef's said was a problem.

Peter's inability to understand that he needs to change was the other problem. After chef Ramsey ripped Peter a new one he seemed to change for the better. Imo those are things that caused the restaurant the most problems and they have been addressed.

All restaurants in trouble are not failing because of the food. Alot are failing because of mismanagement and poor financial planning.
    Its the process of changing the food that's supposed to be the heart of the show. The Peter Drama could have been edited down to 5 minutes of airtime.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast