+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12/05 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 12/05 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2708653;
    Taylor made the comment about coyotes eating the council.

I still don't like Jared. He annoys me, and he was mad when he didn't get the star last night, you could see it in his eyes.
    I don't think that Jared is all that bright.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Oscar Levant once remarked "There is a fine line between genius and insanity". I think that observation may well apply to Jared. I think he's quite intelligent. However, it seems to me that he has been misdirected in his application of that intelligence.

I wonder if his social ineptitude has caused him to apply his inquisitive mind towards theories well outside the established convention. I also wonder if his role models (more than likely his mother and father) have had a heavy hand in his slow social development.

To me, it is his theories that make him 'seem' insane. When I imagine him minus the crazy theories, he seems to have the spark of genius.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I used to know a boy that is eerily like Jared. I mean, if I closed my eyes, I'd think I was hearing "T". Brilliant, read up on topics way beyond his age and able to discuss them intellectually, but incapable of having a "normal" conversation with most kids his age. I knew him from about age 2-10. His parents almost pushed him to be different, Montessori Schools for preschool through maybe 1st grade and then an alternative public school for the rest of elementary.

It fit his style of learning, moving at his own speed on subjects of his own choosing, but sometimes in life you have to follow other people's schedules. I knew his family from church and he's my son's age. He would have meltdowns in a Sunday School setting when he had to do what the rest of the group was doing. One time he tried out for a part in a play that was way beyond him and when he didn't get it, he quit the whole play. More importantly, his mom let him quit and supported him in making "his own decisions".

I wonder how he is doing these days? He's 16 now and probably a sophomore. It was interesting that as smart as he was, he was held back a year. Probably for his lack of social skills.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I don't see Jared as being socially inept at all. Quite the opposite in fact, to me he seems to be quite a bit of an "offbeat social butterfly". I think he gets along fine with the other kids (as much as any of them and more than some). I think he loves to interact with others, and does a fine job of it. His quantum theories may be a bit above and beyond some kids, but no more so than a kid who knows oodles about, and is obsessed with, say Dinosaurs.

Nothing wrong with this kid socially, he just walks to the beat of a diferent drummer, and sometimes the perception is that if you aren't following the "in" crowd - you must be socially backward.

I would, as a parent, be concerned with the situation veejer described above, learning how to get along in this world is important. But I just don't see Jared as having the same type of issues. He had a bit of a meltdown over the whole Divad merchandising thing - but he's also a kid (most of whom have meltdowns at some point) - that just tells me he's normal....lol

Anyway - just my opinion.

Even thought they didn't choose the momument...bet it ends up staying there at the end
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2708763;
    I also wonder if his role models (more than likely his mother and father) have had a heavy hand in his slow social development.

To me, it is his theories that make him 'seem' insane. When I imagine him minus the crazy theories, he seems to have the spark of genius.
    I don't know about genius, but I believe he possesses a gift of sorts. Comparing him to the other show 'brain' Alex, Alex seems more studious than gifted to be. Perhaps I'm just mistaking Jared's being out-of-step with his peers as being a sign of something to be desired, not embracing herdism.

I don't know anything about Jared outside the program, but I'm inclined to guess that his parents celebrate and encourage his projected persona rather than viewing it as something to be at all concerned about.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster;2710267;
    I don't know about genius...
    I do get tired of always having to put things not meant literally in 'quotes'. Unfortunately, when working with the printed word one needs to take care so that the lack of vocal inflection is made known to the reader.

If you'll note I only refer to him as intelligent at the beginning of the post. At the end I only use the words 'insane' and 'genius' to tie back into the quote I used to start the post.

As to his parental guidance, I thnk veejer expressed my concerns quite well, so I'll just leave it at that.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

My intended meaning didn't come through, Uncle David. Sorry about that.

My stating "I don't know about genius" wasn't in any way meant to be directed at your earlier comments. I was simply stating (poorly) that I'm personally nowhere near possessing authoritative knowledge about genius. Being inclined to offer opinion about subjects I all too often possess scant knowledge of, and having been taken to task having done so, I tend to offer qualificating heads-up about the lack of depth of my knowledge base to head off responses calling on me to offer up proof about a personal opinion which another had read as an offering of fact.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dodie430;2709707;
    I don't see Jared as being socially inept at all. Quite the opposite in fact, to me he seems to be quite a bit of an "offbeat social butterfly". I think he gets along fine with the other kids (as much as any of them and more than some). I think he loves to interact with others, and does a fine job of it. His quantum theories may be a bit above and beyond some kids, but no more so than a kid who knows oodles about, and is obsessed with, say Dinosaurs.

Nothing wrong with this kid socially, he just walks to the beat of a diferent drummer, and sometimes the perception is that if you aren't following the "in" crowd - you must be socially backward.

I would, as a parent, be concerned with the situation veejer described above, learning how to get along in this world is important. But I just don't see Jared as having the same type of issues. He had a bit of a meltdown over the whole Divad merchandising thing - but he's also a kid (most of whom have meltdowns at some point) - that just tells me he's normal....lol

Anyway - just my opinion.

I agree on all counts. What happened with the Divad merchandising thing? I must have missed that scene!

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;2711985;
    I agree on all counts. What happened with the Divad merchandising thing? I must have missed that scene!
    Divad was using the community food supply to make treats to sell, and set up a little counter, and Jared kicked it apart. Somebody help here--I think Jared had already set up a little booth to sell little souvenier necklaces he had made-or was that another kid, and if so, what made jared kick the stand over? I've forgotten.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast