+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kid Nation Recap 10/24 - The Queen of Trashy Town

Kid Nation Recap 10/24 - The Queen of Trashy Town

Last week, the town held reelections and the council gained some new blood. Will things change? Will the new council members be good leaders? Will Taylor cause more drama? Of course, she will. She’s a ratings gold mine for producers and will therefore be exploited at every given opportunity.

Guylan and Zach join Anjay and Laurel for their usual crack of dawn meeting. Both are confident in their abilities as town council members. Zach gladly does the honors of ringing the bell to wake the pioneers. Taylor isn’t happy about waking up to the clanging of that old bell. It reminds me of the bell in Walnut Grove that Mrs. Beadle or Reverend Alden rung for the start of school or church. Yes, I admit it. I love Little House on The Prairie and saw every single episode. I own the complete DVD set. Michael Landon was just the best paw ever! Ok, back to the “real” pioneers, folks. Bonanza City, it is! Taylor has decided that she’ll be putting the pressure on Zach since he put so much on her. The Bratz® --that’s my new name for Taylor’s crew. No offense to Bratz® dolls. I’m sure they’re perfectly good toys for aspiring hoochie mommas. I simply think Taylor and her crew are bratty snots, therefore I dub them Bratz®. Okey-doke? So anyway -- the Bratz® run out to where Zach is still clanging away and Taylor screams at the top of her lungs for him to stop ringing the bell. One by one, she brattily (Is that a word? I think not but it works here so I’m using it anyway.) names the kids who don’t like Zach. He isn’t bothered and says it’s just too bad. Taylor’s intelligent comeback is “That’s too bad, my butt.” Now I don’t typically condone corporal punishment. However, speaking of her butt….well, I think I’ll let you insert your own comment here. I’m certain most of you share my sentiments. And if not, you have more patience than I with smart-mouthed children. Zach recognizes that Taylor just doesn’t like losing and probably never will so he doesn’t let her get to him, not even when she tells him that he needs to shave his unibrow.

Bonanza is disgusting!

Wood, debris, and spoiled food are piling up in Bonanza City and it stinks. It literally stinks! Heaps of trash and stagnant water have attracted rats. DK fears they may soon attract wild animals like coyotes. Eek, I’d be more concerned about those filthy rats than a few coyotes. The town council leaders need a quick solution to the problem. Luckily, the original pioneers of Bonanza City were also soothsayers. That’s right. They knew the trash would become an odorous difficulty for the new town so they left behind words of wisdom in their journal. Their advice is to clean out the town trash bins. Brilliant idea, one I don’t think anyone could have possibly come up with if not for the astuteness of Bonanza’s forefathers. Now, the kids simply need to decide how it will be done. Anjay suggests getting some gunpowder to blow the whole thing up. While that sounds like a great idea, I don’t know where they’d get gunpowder and it might just leave more of a mess to clean up. They finally agree to choose people from each district to drag the trash away from town and bury it. Laurel suggests Taylor as one of the yellow district representatives for this job and the others woot(!) with glee in agreement.

The kids are gathered and the council lays out their plan. They announce the names of those selected to help and kids applaud when Taylor and Leila are called. The lazy pair was just rejoicing in the saloon that as upper class, they don’t have to do anything. Guylan says the plan is to show them that when you refuse to work, it results in even harder work. Jared waxes all philosophical about the environment and how humans have polluted the ozone and the waters.

Beauty queens don’t do garbage.

The clean up crew is ready to get started and Taylor tries to weasel out of it by asking if she and Leila could do other work in town that they needed to do. Laurel answers no and tells her to deal with it. They begin the hard work of shoveling the trash into wagons. Taylor and Leila refuse to pitch in and eventually run away to hide. Taylor says they’re beauty queens. They can’t be bothered with taking out the trash to be buried. Laurel, Morgan, and DK find Taylor and Leila and demand that they help. They refuse and Laurel mocks them with “She’s a pageant queen. She might get dirty.” DK reminds her that if she was still a district leader, she’d have to go anyway. The girls don’t budge so Laurel, who feels they’ve wasted enough time on them, lets them know they’ll decide a punishment for them when the job is done.

DK : “Teamwork is an extreme necessity. We’re here to build a town, not just sit around in it.”

The wagons of trash are pushed and pulled to the outskirts of town. Sophia jokes with Anjay that he isn’t pushing hard enough and the girls are doing all the work. He responds with the usual, “shut up.” The kids work in shifts to dig a hole. On his shift, Guylan had a hard time digging. Greg gave him a bit of a hard time and even called DK in to replace him. DK refused thinking that Guylan deserved a chance. He tries but when he can’t make much headway with the hole, Guylan walks away discouraged. Greg asks everyone to give a hand to the new council leader and the others all yell at him to shut up.

After worrying about the punishment, Leila reconsiders and decides to help the others. Taylor still refuses because she wants them to know they aren’t the boss of her and can’t make her do anything. The others welcomed the help from Leila and finished the task of ridding Bonanza from it’s smelly trash problem.

Guylan is discouraged and feels he let everyone down. DK understands how hard it is for Guylan and acts as a big brother. He encourages him to work harder and let the town see his efforts. Guylan feels a lot better after their talk.

Beauty queens don’t haul water.

The town’s water tower is empty. As punishment for her refusal to take out the trash, Taylor is told by the council that she must haul buckets of water from the well to the tank until it is full. Taylor cries that they’re dictators who think she can do the work that some of the bigger boys can do. DK looks at this as Taylor’s second chance to prove herself. She does alright. She proves to be the spoiled brat they all think she is when she purposely spills the buckets of water in front of them and walks away. Laurel chases her to the bunkhouse and tries to remind her that they were once friends but can’t get through to her. She tries to leave but the council members block the door. She then runs to the back door but Anjay blocks her way. She threatens to kick him if he doesn’t let her go. Laurel finally lets her out telling her to cool off. She runs off saying that she’s going home. DK looks on as he washes dishes. He’s tired of all the drama that distracts from building the town.

Mickey’s DK’s Fire Water Brigade

DK realizes that if they keep washing dishes with the dirty water they have, someone is going to get sick. They need water in that water tower. So, he organizes the group and they all work together to fill the water buckets and replenish the town’s water supply. Taylor looks on but doesn’t make a move to help. The kids should realize they can’t police the town and force Taylor to participate in anything. They should also stop paying her a salary and let her fix her own meals. You don’t work, you don’t eat. Her parents should be appalled at her behavior. However, they’re probably proud. I’ll cut them no slack since someone has given this little girl a sense of entitlement.

Now, since an undeserving little snot has been given enough of the limelight, on to DK. He’s proven to be a good leader, a team player, and interested in the betterment of Bonanza City.

Pork and Beans

The kids arrive for the showdown where Jonathan is waiting in his new Western shirt. This one is white and burgundy plaid, a welcomed change from the drab brown one he’s been sporting. The kids will have to wade through a gigantic frying pan filled with 1,600 gallons of beans and a herd of real, live, squealing pigs. They will need to collect empty cans of their district’s color. The team with the most cans in fifteen minutes will become the upper class and so on and so on. If the combined number of cans equals 75, they win a reward for the town.

This task proves to be the messiest and smelliest yet. Olivia complains about how long Anjay takes and his defense is that he’s still young. He doesn’t have a lot of muscles because his bones are still forming. Anjay and Nathan take a long time so when Greg is up, he dives head first into the beans to make up some time. Poor little Alex is near tears when time expires before he gets his can in. The fifteen minutes passes quickly. Jonathan counts the cans to reveal the red district as upper class with 24 cans. The green district is close with 20 cans so they'll become the merchants. Yellow district has 19 cans, making them the cooks. We can no doubt expect more Taylor drama when she’s expected to cook. Blue will be the laborers but with 17 cans, they do have enough to win the reward.

Jonathan reveals their first choice and it’s produce. Sophia was complaining earlier about all of the starch in their diets and expressed her desire for vegetables so the kids go wild over the idea of spicing up their diet. The second choice is two gasoline-powered dune buggies and all the gasoline they need to keep them running. Not a great choice for the environment after their concerted efforts to clean up the town. The council takes a walk to make the decision and Sophia yells for them to choose the produce. She doesn’t want to contribute to global warming. Ultimately, they choose the fruits and veggies. The town goes insane as the feast begins. All except Colton who thinks they’re all as dull-minded as hell for not choosing the dune buggies.

In case, you’ve forgotten, beauty queens don’t do dishes.

The next morning, Zach tries to organize the yellow district by assigning duties. Taylor and Leila are told to wash dishes and of course, they refuse. They run off to make fruit salad instead. DK wants to tell them to stop their constant drama but recognizes that it’s the council’s place to do that. Zach approaches the girls in an attempt to get them to wash the dishes. When they refuse, he tells them that if they can’t do their assigned job, not only will they not be paid but they will never receive a gold star.

Emilie, Eric, and Brett are upper class. Since they don’t have to work, they instead have a water/soda fight out in the street. Brett ends up hurt, whining, and mad at Emilie while holding his leg and DK is upset. He chews them out for running around acting childish. He grew up with six brothers and sisters and reports that his mother taught him to be strong and love each other without all the drama and negativity. He’s feeling homesick and the frustration of Bonanza City’s drama makes him want to go home.

The town council deliberates the gold star recipient. The unanimous nomination is DK. He’s a hard worker with an amazing attitude and drive. They look forward to the look on his face when he’s awarded the star.

$20,000 Man

At the Town Hall Meeting, Jonathan asks Taylor and Mike how it feels to be off the council. Mike admits it makes him a little sad that he lost his power. Taylor says that it’s nice that now she can “work normal like just a boy or girl here.” The kids laugh and after some nudging from DK and Laurel, she admits that she didn’t actually do her job. The meeting turns chaotic as the kids all ridicule Taylor. She agrees to “try” to work harder but the attacks continue. Sophia asks why she’s even there if all she does is eat their food and yells at her to go home. DK quiets the crowd and tells them to chill. He agrees with them about Taylor but they’re disgusting him by how mean they are being.

Jonathan asks if any of the kids want to leave and DK shocks the town by saying that he wants to go home. He quickly brings the entire town to tears as he explains that he wants to be with his family. He’s frustrated with all of the negativity and feels like he's in it alone, the only one trying to help the town. Guylan asks to speak to DK. He pulls him aside, expresses how much the town needs him, and convinces him to give it one more try.

The council awards the 2 pound, $20,000 gold star to DK. His mouth drops open in shock. He runs off to call his family. They’re surprised at the news of the star and all send their love. His mom lovingly calls him “$20,000 man.” She tells him he didn’t need it because he’s already a star and proudly declares that he deserves it. I agree.
    DK is glad he decided to stay so he can reap the benefit of seeing the town grow and prosper.

Next week, the kids hunt for treasure and learn that money changes everything. Isn’t that the truth?

My recap title was inspired by my 6 year old daughter. She watches the show with me; and when she saw all of the trash piled up, she started quoting a children’s book in her collection, Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha. It’s a cute little story with rhythmic verses about Mr. Gilly, the trash man, who drives around town collecting the garbage with two rats. When he’s all done, he drives home where he takes a bath. Okay, now that this is turning into a book review, I’ll end with the verse my six year old chanted throughout the show..... “I dump it in, I smash it down, I drive around the trashy town.”
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Re: Kid Nation Recap 10/24 - The Queen of Trashy Town

Great recap as always

Thanks Lil! I'm sure Taylor is a victim of editing, but yeesh...no one is forcing her to act that way. She'll probably get her own series at the rate she is going

She’s a ratings gold mine for producers and will therefore be exploited at every given opportunity.
    Love your recaps, and The Queen of Trashy Town is a great title!

Great recap lildago. I didn't get to see much of the show, and this helps fill in some of the blanks.

I'm glad DK was persuaded to stay by Guylan. He's someone their town needs, a hard worker and someone who will tell it like it is. Guylan should be commended because while he might not be the strongest person out there... he showed that he can be an encourager - the gold star aside.

Now Taylor... oh boy where do I start? I've seen better behaved two-year-olds than she is being. Correct that... one-year-olds, but both ages are considered trouble makers. While I do agree with DK that the town doesn't need to be a lynch mob around her, she needs a hard lesson in reality - you have to work to earn your keep. If you don't, you get punished, and if you don't do that, there are further punishments. Her antics were uncalled for, and I hope Zach follows through on the "If you don't do the job you're assigned, you don't get paid" rule. I also found her comment about the council's choice on the food over dune buggies rude and ironic, considering the toothbrush bit last week.

One gripe about the producers (outside some other issues already spoken) - the dune buggies and the gas choice was a dumb idea. Some of these kids act immature, i.e. the water fight incident, and someone could get hurt with the gas. Not only that, there's rollover dangers and other things that could hurt or kill them. The fruits and veggies were a great idea though, as it offered flavor and variety to their diets. This goes doubly so with the fact they were eating too many starches, which can start to cause problems. Personally, I think they should've made them both food items as reward this week.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2629437;
    No offense to Bratz® dolls. I’m sure they’re perfectly good toys for aspiring hoochie mommas.
    So true

Excellent recap, lildago.

Michael Landon was just the best paw ever!

The Bratz® --that’s my new name for Taylor’s crew. No offense to Bratz® dolls.

The town council leaders need a quick solution to the problem. Luckily, the original pioneers of Bonanza City were also soothsayers.
    Terrific recap as usual, lil! And that anecdote about your daughter was adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;2629848;
    While I do agree with DK that the town doesn't need to be a lynch mob around her, she needs a hard lesson in reality - you have to work to earn your keep. If you don't, you get punished, and if you don't do that, there are further punishments. Her antics were uncalled for, and I hope Zach follows through on the "If you don't do the job you're assigned, you don't get paid" rule.
    Spot on, jadewarlock !

If these kids think they're going to teach Taylor a lesson, they're wrong. If she learns her lesson at all, she's going to learn it on her own. She's clearly demonstrated that the town is not going to beat her in a battle of wills.

In the adult world, anyone who exhibited the kind of behavior Taylor has would be fired from their job. I would hope the council would pass a resolution that anyone, not just Taylor, who did not perform their assigned duties would not be paid, and that whoever stepped up and took up that person's slack would earn the slacker's wages. Each district leader would be responsible for deciding who would get paid what.

The next move I would like to see is for the council to go to Taylor and her lazy sidekick whatever-her-name-is and tell them that they are not going to waste anymore time trying to get them to do anything. In other words, "You two are fired !" Then let Zach assign duties within the yellow district among the others and ask for volunteers - even from other districts if necessary - to do the work of the two beauty queens and earn their wages. That way if the two of them get sick of having no money and realize they have to earn it to get it, they'll have to approach the council hat in hand and ask to be re-hired.
    "Better to burn out than just fade away...." - Neil Young

Lil, stellar recap, my friend, and I especially loved that your daugher inspired you.
    She’s a ratings gold mine for producers and will therefore be exploited at every given opportunity.

Brilliant idea, one I don’t think anyone could have possibly come up with if not for the astuteness of Bonanza’s forefathers.

I’ll cut them no slack since someone has given this little girl a sense of entitlement.
    I'm fed up with Taylor monopolizing such a major part of the show, and can't imagine what her parents are thinking. Like you said they've clearly nurtured her sense of entitlement.

Edgeover, it's too bad you're not a producer for the show because you've got some terrific solutions for the problem that is Taylor.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Excellent recap, lil!
    “I dump it in, I smash it down, I drive around the trashy town.”
    Love it.

+ Reply to Thread