+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions to improve the show?

Re: Suggestions to improve the show?

i'm a kid and find loads of stuff about K.N. hookey. no one in my grade would believe that book from the poineers is real. only babies would believe it so it's really silly when the counsil reads from it like its the bible and they believe the stuff in it. my brother and i make better books for our short stories.

i also think that they should just rotate the positions of the kids so everyone gets a chance. thats what we do for our chores each week. we all help around the house and my parents make alll us kids do diffent things each week so that we learn to do everything. maybe the green team is smarter at things other than building big puzzles and stuff and if they were given a regular chance they woudl make great leaders.

i don't think that little kids like cody should be there. maybe not have anyone under 10 years old. i wasn't allowed a sleepover until i was 12 years old. and they should let the kids figure out how to run the town themselves so that maybe the grownups could see how well they do and they could copy them and not fight so much and have wars and stuff.

they should give kids a chance.
    All was well.

Quote Originally Posted by animagus;2625683;
    i'm a kid and find loads of stuff about K.N. hookey. no one in my grade would believe that book from the poineers is real. only babies would believe it so it's really silly when the counsil reads from it like its the bible and they believe the stuff in it. my brother and i make better books for our short stories.

i also think that they should just rotate the positions of the kids so everyone gets a chance. thats what we do for our chores each week. we all help around the house and my parents make alll us kids do diffent things each week so that we learn to do everything. maybe the green team is smarter at things other than building big puzzles and stuff and if they were given a regular chance they woudl make great leaders.

i don't think that little kids like cody should be there. maybe not have anyone under 10 years old. i wasn't allowed a sleepover until i was 12 years old. and they should let the kids figure out how to run the town themselves so that maybe the grownups could see how well they do and they could copy them and not fight so much and have wars and stuff.

Good post, Animagus !

I don't think the kids really believe that journal is real. They know the town is fake, so how could the book be real ? That's just the way the producers of the show suggest to the kids what their next move should be.

Automatically rotating the kids' positions would make everything nice and fair, but it wouldn't be like real life. In your family, everyone shares the work and plays fair because you're all looking out for each other. In the real world, strangers don't look out for each other. Some people won't do their job even when they know it's their job. Plus, the competitions for the social classes (another ugly part of the real world) makes for good show material.

I think you may be right about the smaller kids. An 8-year old can't be expected to do as much hard work as a 14 or even 12-year old.

I hope and pray every day that your generation will be the first to figure out how to run a world without wars. God Bless each and every one of you.
    Last edited by edgeover17; 10-23-2007 at 08:44 PM.
    "Better to burn out than just fade away...." - Neil Young

Don't pay them if they don't to the work. In the real world, people who pulled Taylor's crap about not cooking would be canned.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2626054;
    Don't pay them if they don't to the work. In the real world, people who pulled Taylor's crap about not cooking would be canned.
    That's the next step I see the show taking to make it a little more real-world. Only question is who decides who earned their pay and who didn't ? The council ? I tend to suspect so. In fact, I have a feeling that's why they waited until there will be no more council elections to enact a no-work-no-pay rule. If I were a council member, I would be nervous about retaining my seat if I had to publicly deny voters their paychecks !

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by animagus;2625683;

Right on! Yes, edgeover17, that's the way the world we have now works, but maybe if they left the kids alone they would have figured out a way to run the town more like animagus' family. Or of course it could have turned out like Lord of the Flies ... although hopefully the producers would have stepped in at that point. But the interesting thing would have been to see what would develop if you left the kids alone to sort it out, not automatically invest the society with a class system. Maybe put out the rewards to work for, for the town, to spice it up as a show, but not structure so much how they got them. And definitely let them choose their own leaders... or even decide if they need leaders and a council. If there's a Chinese version are they going to force a Communist structure on the show? Why are we callilng it an "experiment" and then forcing it down a certain road. Even if they run it again, now there's a "standard" set up that the next season's "actors" will have been exposed to and try to follow. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2627012;
    Right on! Yes, edgeover17, that's the way the world we have now works, but maybe if they left the kids alone they would have figured out a way to run the town more like animagus' family. Or of course it could have turned out like Lord of the Flies ... although hopefully the producers would have stepped in at that point. But the interesting thing would have been to see what would develop if you left the kids alone to sort it out, not automatically invest the society with a class system. Maybe put out the rewards to work for, for the town, to spice it up as a show, but not structure so much how they got them. And definitely let them choose their own leaders... or even decide if they need leaders and a council. If there's a Chinese version are they going to force a Communist structure on the show? Why are we callilng it an "experiment" and then forcing it down a certain road. Even if they run it again, now there's a "standard" set up that the next season's "actors" will have been exposed to and try to follow. Too bad.
    I know I probably say this too much, but "Reality TV" is an oxymoron. If CBS just let the kids totally run the show, it would be more like reality, but it might not make good TV. If the kids wind up holding hands and singing, the show's boring, like Big Brother Season 1. If they go like Lord of the Flies, the producers have to step in and take control and you have to deem the show a failed experiment.

The play from the network's standpoint is to tread the thin line between exercising too much control while having enough checks and balances in place so that the town doesn't totally implode.

Remember, too, that of all reality shows on the air, KN is probably the most heavily edited of all. It's only on once a week, so the material is carefully chosen. Ask the people who subscribe to the Big Brother live feeds about the editing of reality TV shows. They'll tell you the regular viewers have no clue how heavily edited the shows are.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by edgeover17;2630265;
    I know I probably say this too much, but "Reality TV" is an oxymoron. If CBS just let the kids totally run the show, it would be more like reality, but it might not make good TV. If the kids wind up holding hands and singing, the show's boring, like Big Brother Season 1. If they go like Lord of the Flies, the producers have to step in and take control and you have to deem the show a failed experiment.

The play from the network's standpoint is to tread the thin line between exercising too much control while having enough checks and balances in place so that the town doesn't totally implode.

Remember, too, that of all reality shows on the air, KN is probably the most heavily edited of all. It's only on once a week, so the material is carefully chosen. Ask the people who subscribe to the Big Brother live feeds about the editing of reality TV shows. They'll tell you the regular viewers have no clue how heavily edited the shows are.
    Yeah, I know... I read the live feed reports for BB. And that's a show where they KNOW we know what's going on so there has to be some remote connection to reality...one can only imagine what happens with other shows. I'm just actually curious to know what WOULD happen if "kids ran the world". But I don't expect that reality shows are the way to answer the question.

I've not been much of a fan of this program from its beginning, though I watch. This last episode, however, landed me at a point where I'm now pretty certain I wouldn't watch another season if there is one.

The Golden Star campaigning in this latest episode finally crossed the threshold of intolerability, and I believe it constitutes a starkly obvious jumping the shark moment in time. There were so many previous candidates in this nightmarishly conformist reality show about a town with "no rules".

Horsecrud. These kids (town bosses, at least) are all too willingly led around by their pre-existing perceptions of what the figure is expected of them to make an independant choice when they have one to make.

Every episode hypes something new the producers, not kids are revved up over. Consider the heavy handed religoid force-feeding fest of an episode as an example. When the town leaders had the choice of something fun or religious texts, they OF COURSE chose the texts (was there ever any doubt of what they'd choose after the path they'd been prodded down? Of course not.)

Since the end of that specially heartwarming episode, no sight of religious text, prayer or other ceremony.

I don't care for this format where they concentrate on one issue exclusively for an episode only to jettison it and negate (to my eye) whatever importance they placed on it just last week by embracing the next vital message.

Yucka doo. Not the kids (mostly), just the show.

Leftcoaster, you make some good observations. Thing is, I've seen this show as a hot potato from a producer's standpoint right from the git-go. I don't see how KN could not be the most edited of all "reality" shows in history. And the editing would have to be really a tightrope act. The show is on only once a week, so I imagine the producers are trying to cover as many angles as they can with what time they have.

As to the "no rules" bit, you have to know that just can't be done. To leave 40 kids totally on their own for 40 days with no adult supervision at all would simply open the network up to too many potential lawsuits. Other participants have sued other reality shows, or tried to. Those networks ain't seen nothin' like the fury of a mother lion defending her cub !!

I understand what everyone who would like to see a show that the kids were truly running are saying, and I'm not for a second saying I don't think it's possible for kids to make it work. What I'm saying is it is just too risky for the networks, who lest we forget are concerned only about putting out a show that people will watch.

FORT Fogey

I love the show and can't think of a single way to improvie it (although I probably will once the novely wears off).

Anyway, does anyone know how the kids are chosen for the sho? Are they all intellectually gifted? It seems like most of them are, but that there are a handful who aren't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast