+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kid Nation in the Media

Re: Kid Nation in the Media

My question is, how long have people known about this show and its premise? And they are just now raising concerns? Wasn't the time to do that BEFORE the show started taping and BEFORE the children went through it?

I completely think that the majority of those complaining are doing it because they didn't get the fame and fortune through their children that they had hoped for OR are people who have something to gain by this show tanking (the actors union).

Reading the posted articles, many of those children said it was hard work but a positive experience and as a responsible parent, you can bet your butt I'd never let my child out of my sight in a situation like that. Meaning, if I wasn't allowed to be there to make sure he wasn't being mistreated.... I would have never signed him up. Then again.. I wouldn't have signed him up anyways but thats neither here nor there.

Did anyone else see the Court TV special report on this controversy today? It was a report that included some footage from the show, as well as interviews with varioius people, including child psychologists, legal beagles, parents, etc.

I won't get into the report itself, I just wanted to mention that when they were showing some of the footage from the show, one shot showed a lovely little girl with long brunette hair who appeared to be about 9-10 sitting alone at a table, and she was looking at something on her hands and wrist area that appeared to be burns or scrapes or something -- the footage went by too fast to see the detail of her injuries and I didn't tape it to see exactly what they were. But in the shot of her, her eyes were full of obvious tears and it appeared she was trying hard to keep the tears back. But you could see the pain on her little face and the tears in her eyes, and my heart just broke to see it.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand any reason on this earth why any parent would subject their child to anything like this, or what dumbass network exec thought a show like this would be a great idea. I absolutely believe if this show airs that it'll be watched by many viewers due to the publicity of this, but that doesn't make it morally right. And I take back the first two words of this paragraph... no, I'm not sorry for believing this way.

And I don't buy the 'it's good for building a child's character and self-confidence to experience something like this' line, either. There are thousands of ways to do that with a child without exploiting them on national television for the entertainment of viewers. There are lines that should not be crossed, even on reality tv. Our job as responsible members of the human race is to protect children, not exploit them for the entertainment value.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fan

Also this week's issue of Time magazine has a story on Kid Nation

It's going to be good stuff it seems. And if it doesn't last, well then CBS wil have a good night to plug in TAR when it comes around again.

The Canadian Press: 'Kid Nation' debuts amid criticism, media speculation

'Kid Nation' debuts amid criticism, media speculation
    1 minute ago

LOS ANGELES - "Kid Nation," the CBS reality show that fanned concerns about child endangerment and exploitation, subjected its young stars to nothing more dramatic than homesickness and a pulled muscle in its debut episode.

Whether viewers were entertained by Wednesday's hour - in which the most thrilling line was "We got the Port-A-Potties. Yeah!" - remains to be seen.

But in its initial airing, the series drew an audience of 9.1 million, according to preliminary numbers released Thursday by Nielsen Media Research. This made "Kid Nation" the runner-up to NBC's "Deal or No Deal," seen by 9.7 million viewers. (During the first half-hour, Fox's premiere of the Kelsey Grammer sitcom "Back to You" had 9.4 million viewers, leaving "Kid" and "Deal" each with 8.5 million. And Fox's second half-hour, with the returning "'Til Death," had 7.8 million.)

Filmed over 40 days during April and May in a movie-set ghost town in the high desert just south of Santa Fe, N.M., "Kid Nation" gathered 40 children ages eight to 15 and gave them the task of organizing and running their own lives.

From the start, the kids are put through the physical and emotional wringer. They're told to drag supply wagons through the desert, while the youngest ones confront fears of being isolated and away from their families.

"I think I'm gonna die out here 'cuz there's nothing," one eight-year-old frets as "Kid Nation" gets the party started.

"There's no President Bush. There's nothing," observes another dispirited youngster.

Kids say the darndest things. Oh, wait, that show aired with Bill Cosby nearly a decade ago, based on a 1950s Art Linkletter idea; consider this the modern version, with reality-show trappings galore to make it exciting for today's presumably jaded young set and, CBS hopes, their parents.

CBS kept the finished product under wraps and away from critics, allowing media speculation and criticism to help promote the show.

There were allegations that the production may have skirted New Mexico's child-protection laws and that youngsters faced unsafe conditions, which CBS and the show's producer denied.

No injuries other than the muscle pull were shown Wednesday. But one mother has complained to authorities that her daughter was splattered with cooking grease and that four other children accidentally drank bleach during production.

The show confirmed that the incidents occurred but said first aid was immediately provided. Parents and children made available by CBS praised the production as a safe, well-supervised learning experience.

As the "Kid Nation" kids begin to organize in the premiere episode, guided by the alternately comforting and menacing host Jonathan Karsh (he warns them of "rough" times ahead), rewards emerge in forms any red-blooded American child would treasure: candy, soda pop and the possibility of a TV set.

When the pint-sized four-member town council wisely picks outhouses over the television set, supplementing the one toilet that had been serving the town, the rest of the group breathes a collective sigh of relief.

Besides goodies they can buy with their earnings from chores, the kids compete for a weekly solid-gold star, worth $20,000, that goes to the most deserving child.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123