+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Taylor

Re: Taylor

The little I've seen of this show, and Taylor, makes me think that some very misguided adult has encouraged her rude, self-entitled behaviour in the name of making her "assertive" and "confident". It's not bad-mouthing a child to honestly assess their behaviour, and her behaviour is reprehensible...not to mention sad, because it will not serve her well as she matures into an adult.

I don't like to use the term "bitch" in regards to a child or their behaviour, and anyway, Taylor is neither a bitch nor bitchy. She is a child who apparently has lacked discipline and guidance. There are light-years between demure/submissive and "bitch". Successful, confident women find the balance. Taylor has plenty of time to learn, and hopefully someone will take it in hand to teach it to her.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I put my use of the word "bitchy" in quotes like that for the very reason that we might have to consider whether or not its actually true with a kid, as well as because it was in response to someone's statement that "being a bitch is the only chance for a woman to take charge".

Whether or not you pose being "bitchy" as a good quality indicative of strength, or a bad quality indicative of an excessive and undiplomatic temper, its a loaded term.

That said, I do think there's a little tiny hair-splittable difference between calling someone "a bitch" and describing some of their behavior as "bitchy". The first seems like a judgment about them as a total person. The second is a judgment of a specific instance of behavior.

I'm on the fence about how much we pull punches with dear little Taylor. Ultimately though, pretty much everything we are seeing on screen is the responsibility of her parents I think. And I've seen, on other sites, links to articles where her mother describes Taylor "performing" and how this is "Taylor's biggest role" and crap like that. In a way that actually puts my dilemma to rest. On one hand I can concede that that what we are seeing on screen makes me annoyed enough to want to speak plainly about it. On the other, it also makes it clear that no matter what I say about Taylor, perhaps I SHOULD make sure there are caveats added that the real responsibility doesn't lie with the girl--that the same girl might be absolutely wonderful under other circumstances.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2623322;
    I put my use of the word "bitchy" in quotes like that for the very reason that we might have to consider whether or not its actually true with a kid, as well as because it was in response to someone's statement that "being a bitch is the only chance for a woman to take charge".

Whether or not you pose being "bitchy" as a good quality indicative of strength, or a bad quality indicative of an excessive and undiplomatic temper, its a loaded term.

That said, I do think there's a little tiny hair-splittable difference between calling someone "a bitch" and describing some of their behavior as "bitchy". The first seems like a judgment about them as a total person. The second is a judgment of a specific instance of behavior.

I'm on the fence about how much we pull punches with dear little Taylor. Ultimately though, pretty much everything we are seeing on screen is the responsibility of her parents I think. And I've seen, on other sites, links to articles where her mother describes Taylor "performing" and how this is "Taylor's biggest role" and crap like that. In a way that actually puts my dilemma to rest. On one hand I can concede that that what we are seeing on screen makes me annoyed enough to want to speak plainly about it. On the other, it also makes it clear that no matter what I say about Taylor, perhaps I SHOULD make sure there are caveats added that the real responsibility doesn't lie with the girl--that the same girl might be absolutely wonderful under other circumstances.
    If she's really wonderful and this is all acting, she's got a great career ahead of her....way to stay in character, Taylor!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2623398;
    If she's really wonderful and this is all acting, she's got a great career ahead of her....way to stay in character, Taylor!
    I meant... with better parenting.

FORT's Fiercest!!! Ruairidh1992's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2623107;
    Well, if lazy and bossy and snide don't bother you, then she's fine I guess. To each their own....
    The girl just needs protein, I don't think she's a good leader but she's struck a chord with the girls in her team so she must be likable as a person.
    NOT(!) a Dominique fan*~

i hate her big old aligator tears!!! she cried up a storm when that boy was asking her to leave but they sure dried up fast enouhg when the spot light got off of her. shes just a queen bee in a small hive and will sting anyone who gets in her way.
    All was well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruairidh1992;2625398;
    The girl just needs protein, I don't think she's a good leader but she's struck a chord with the girls in her team so she must be likable as a person.
    I'm not sure that logic follows.

If you are "Queen Bee" of a group which feels entitled, as the girls of her district appeared to feel, it doesn't follow that you have to be likable in general. It just means you have to be able to maintain the position of an Alpha female among that group.

Sometimes being bossy is enough. And even if not, if she and her girls were all benefiting from her stint as a leader, then its entirely possible they acted like they liked her simply to keep those benefits coming.

Kids aren't immune to this type of behavior any more than adults are.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruairidh1992;2625398;
    of course she struck a chord with them ... she doesn't expect them to pull their weight, just like she isn't.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2624282;
    I meant... with better parenting.
    Ah, then we totally agree... although with those comments from her parents I suspect better parenting would require better (and probably different) parents. Poor kid.

FORT Newbie

My 8 year old daughter - who is a very nice, honest, hard working kid - loves her...I was really surprised. It shows what are children are drawn to and why there are queen bees. If one of my children were to act like Taylor I was be horrified!

+ Reply to Thread