+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nathan

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Nathan

Nathan: Age 11
    Mount Prospect, IL

What is your favorite quote?
    "Think for yourself. No one else is qualified." (Frank Vizarre).

Do you have a favorite video game?
    No. I don't play video games.

List some of your favorite movies?
    I don't know. I can't remember all the movies I've seen.

Do you have a favorite book?
    I've read so many different books that I like that I can't choose one. Here are some of my favorites: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Hobbit, The Redwall Series, The Phoenix and the Carpet, Through the Looking Glass, Magic by the Lake, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, and Sunwing.

What are your favorite colors?
    Green, blue, orange, red, and purple.

What kind of music do you like?
    I especially like classical music.

What's your favorite TV show?
    Survivor and probably Kid Nation.

Who are your favorite movie stars?
    I don't have favorite movie stars.

Do you have a favorite drink?
    Milk.

What is your favorite food?
    Lasagna.

What's your favorite ice-cream flavor?
    Either peach or cookie dough.

What's your favorite sports team?
    I don't have a favorite sports team.

Do you read comics? What are your favorites?
    Although I don't read comics often, my favorites are TinTin, Calvin and Hobbes, Ironman, and Bionicle comics.

Where do you like to go on vacation?
    I loved going on a cruise but we only did it once.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
    I'm not sure. There's so many nice places in the world. Maybe I would go to Europe.

What's your favorite subject in school?
    Reading. It is fun and I learn a lot.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Re: Nathan

When i was younger i loved the book the Hobbit. I read my little brothers Redwall books aswell,they aren't that bad.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

nathan was profiled in our local newspaper earlier this week. i'm in battle creek, michigan and augusta is about 8 miles from here.

Augusta boy, 12, is part of Kid Nation

AUGUSTA For any kid that ever thought they could run things better than the grown-ups, the trial begins tonight.

Nathan Gibes, a 12-year-old with local ties, tried his hand at creating a functional Neverland on the new reality show "Kid Nation," debuting on CBS at 8 p.m. The show features 40 kids in the derelict mining town of Bonanza, N.M., for 40 days without adult supervision.

Although the show sparked plenty of controversy, Gibes and his family said it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

"I thought it would be kinda like summer camp," Nathan Gibes said. "I've been away from my parents for a week before, so I thought a few more weeks wouldn't be any harder."

Nathan attends the American Boychoir School in Princeton, N.J., and was a member of the Battle Creek Boychoir for several months before beginning filming in May.

His father, Kernon Gibes, began working at Kellogg Co. in January, and his mother, Valerie, is in the process of moving their belongings from Illinois to Augusta.

The Gibeses caught wind of the show through an e-mail to a homeschool parent list passed through a Chicago children's choir. Both Nathan and his parents thought it would be a good experience for him.

"I tried to emphasize to be friendly and make friends with everybody and be outgoing," Valerie said.

The kids, ages 8-15, were challenged to create their own town from cooking, cleaning and drawing their own water, to running their businesses and creating a government system.

So can kids stand up to the challenge? Nathan said they can and they did.

The show did have a few safety nets. Concerns over child labor-law violations and safety arose after one child reportedly was burned while cooking and several accidentally drank bleach.

According to CBS, they were treated immediately and a full medical staff was on-site at all times.

Valerie said she wasn't concerned with safety issues, but instead by the fact she couldn't talk to her son for 40 days.

"They would call every three days to say he was fine," she said. "I was just annoyed I didn't have the details."

Nathan plans to watch tonight's premiere on a big-screen television in his dorm. He's mostly excited, but still a little nervous.

"Most of the time I'm pretty sure it will be fine, but there might be some things on there I wish they didn't show," he said.

The experience made him physically stronger and slightly changed his ideas on politics, but overall, he said he now knows most kids have what it takes to get the job done.

"It depends on the kids," he said. "But I think it's possible."
    source

Wow, that's crazy I live in Battle Creek too. Hi Neighbor Grew up in Galesburg.

My husband and I are watching this show and I don't think I've seen this kid on the show yet.

hi neighbor!!! and
    this is a nice place ... you'll like it here.

and no, it doesn't appear that they've even shown him yet ... LOL

LOL. Yeah I have been on this site for 4 years I think. I just rarely have anything to say lol

hahahah, my bad. i just saw that you haven't posted many times, so i thought you were new .. didn't even look at the date! we've been here the same length of time

+ Reply to Thread