+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Kid Nation - About the show

Re: Kid Nation - About the show

I'm excited for the show. I can't wait to see who the leaders are going to be, and if they are all going to be older kids. I already think i have afew kids figured out, and i can't wait to find out if they actually are what their biographies make them seem.

I'll watch the first episode at least, only be to see if my feelings about it are right or wrong. Even though I'm sure they picked kids of the "are you smarter than a 5th grader variety", I still don't think children are mature enough to handle adult situations. I'd like to be proved wrong so I'll watch the first episode. I'm not saying children are helpless and can't survive for a bit on their own but the premise of this show isn't about being lost in the woods for a few days and I hate to see children get their feelings hurt or get picked on. So I'll be tuning in at least for the first show to see what it's all about instead of just relying on preconceived notions.

Personally i'd love to see this show minus a few things.
    1) Leave on will: once the child and parent both sign the contract, the child has to make it to the end of the 40 days or whatever.
    2) No producers should be on site, no parents should be on site (that is in case they are. idk). There should only be 1:the film crew, 2:an ER team. The ER team would be stationed near by the 'town' but not accessible to the children (maybe a huge fence or maybe a wall in between). The film crew would have walky-talkies on for the ER team to pick up on, that way if they came across anything critical (fatal wounds, broken bones, unconsciousness) the ER would be there in an instant to give aid and take him/her away.

-Im just a big fan realistic reality shows. The closer it is to reality the better. I did like Survivor for the fact that they really do put themselves on the line for food and stuff like that... only reason why i never watch it is because there are challenges, and there is a host. My view is that they shouldn't make a show like this and only go halfway there. 90% is good enough for me (the ER and film crew), but the ability for the inept and spoiled brats to run back home to their mommies because they don't want to use the PORTERPOTTY (why?! why not just have the children figure it out themselves?) or because they don't want to work for their food...just kills me

(the concept of this show has been around for a while (Lord of the Flies on TV), but obviously there are a few things that hold it back.
    1) Death and injury... which is followed by
    2) Contracts (written "just so" so that the parents will sign but will still be held responsible for any accidents that should occur... another words: they have to find some stupid parents or parents that don't really care for their children.)
    3) Humanity ... It would be socially unacceptable (if not legally) to host a show in America or any other First-World Country that would show little kids getting beaten up by other kids or at least thrown away from their parents, or any parenting figure, to fend for themselves. It would probably be seen by some to be horrific.

Me? i don't. I agree with having an ER team nearby, but that's it. They could probably install some hiden cameras throughout the town and area surrounding it. Maybe even ones that move, that way even the film crew can't change the flow of things.

~Lets all just cross our figures and hope that the producers don't intervene too much and that not too many kids give up.

Okay i have to say i just read the article and it has changed my views a bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2534866;
    What i think now is this:
    1) Don’t drop the kids in a town. See what they can do to build a tent or something. THAT would get very interesting (if the kids decided to make a big community tent or something. That would actually pretty neat).
    2) If you decide to keep the town with the grill and bleach… dear GOD! If you aren't going to inform them of the dangers of those things prior to leaving them in the town, at least Freakin leave some flyers around the town or books that would show the kids what to do and what not to do...maybe with pictures and images or something for those that can't read yet… so they at least have a clue. ... (stupid producers... )

I’d take the first idea over the second… I didn’t know they were given working stoves! Lol… that’s sad…. I feel bad for that girl that got her face burnt by it (just look at the article, its really interesting). and bleach... wow...
    Last edited by Bwinks; 09-20-2007 at 11:53 AM.

I like to see children put in a situation where they don't have their IPods, PS2's, and Wii's. I don't understand how one kid can drink bleach without knowing. I won't blame the producers of the show or whoever is watching the children for this situation. You can't keep an eye on everyone. Let's see what happens during the rest of the season.

I found an article about the bleach and the burn incidents. With the bleach, it was bleach diluted with water and the child thought it was gingerale (don't know what the circumstance were that it could be mistaken for a drink). He/She (can't remember which) thought it tasted funny and asked two or three others to taste it. The burn incident was one of the girls got splattered by hot grease. While that can be painful, I still have that happen to me on occasion. I'm assuming in her case it wasn't a major burn.

The waivers the parents had to sign pretty much gave the show full reign. There was even language about AIDS, sexually transmitted diseases, possible pregnancy, death, etc. I couldn't have signed away my child's rights like that even if those are standard contracts for reality shows. And, the participants can't discuss their experiences (maybe not publish?) until three years after the series (not this particular show) ends. So if there are several seasons (which I doubt), it would be three years after the last season, whenever they may be. But obviously some parents have talked about it so not sure if they broke the contract or found a way around it.

Oh yeah, and the $5,000 stipend (for those children who make it the whole 40 days), along with the $20,000 for the gold stars, don't necessarily have to be paid until the series (again, not this particular season) is over. However, with all the flack the show got about child labor practices, I bet they were pretty quick to go ahead and pay up any money the families were promised.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 09-20-2007 at 03:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345