+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kid Nation - About the show

Re: Kid Nation - About the show

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2537974;
    The idea of this is somewhat intriguing, but the reality of it is simply that it will never work. It's a ratings-disaster waiting to happen... because no way is it really going to be free from adult/producer manipulation and that is the one aspect I would find most appealing: are these kids capable of living and forming an acceptable, workable society that is any different and/or better than what they already know?

I just cannot see how this will be entertaining for long - is there a vote-out or some other elimination procedure that will happen each week? Is it survivor-esque in theory or simply a series in which we get to see the progression only of their "society"?

I just don't see it, but I could be totally wrong.
    This show reminds me of the "house" series on PBS were people went to a location and lived like pioneers in the 1800's, or like the first pilgrims. It's a social experiment. I know we are geared to seeing competitive reality shows with eliminations and prizes, so the audience for this show may be slow to build. At first it sounds great, no parental units to tell you when to wake up etc.... But lets face it, it will be a cultural shock. No TV, no Cell phones, No text messaging, No ipods, No take out, No refrigerator full of full and sodas, that alone will weird out the kids. After all who will cook, who will wash the clothes. Garanteed there one of the older kids will want to boss everyone and do no work. What will be the incentive for these kids to work together? Bet some had mom and dad waiting on them hand and foot. Temper tantrums, you bet.

Initially I had no desire to see the show, but all the scandals and lawsuit talk has piqued my interest mmmm..... wonder if that is why the spin doctors released all those press kits to everyone?

If nothing else some grad student is gong ga ga at having a social experiment on this scale to observe and write a thesis about. Seriously, how is a society put together from scatch? Think about it. If we had a pan-epedimic or God Forbid a nuke or two go off and our economic sturture is devasted and there are many, many deaths how would the remaining population survive especially if all the adults were gone? Considering the adults on Survivor can't even start a fire, except for Michelle of course this could be a very interesting show.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If you think about the AIDS epidemic in Africa, a lot of children were left without parents and have to step up and become heads of families, at very young ages....and they have done it. It is a rough situation for these children, and this experiment is nowhere near what it's like for them. It will be, comparatively, cushy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It has been mentioned that each child on this show received $5,000 to do the show and there was a possibility that another $20,000 could be earned. Well, I was over on TV.com and the show summary over there stats that at the end of each episode there will be a town meeting and one child will recieve a gold star that is worth $20,000. Ah...the ugly head of greed raises its head. This explains alot about parental units grumpling over their kids especially if they did not receive any gold stars. Also all the kids are supposed to be over-achievers, again explaining the litigious overreacting of the parents. I also read another article that said one of the girls involved, Meggie was rushed to the emergency room because of a stress fracture in her thumb. Oh, please, I didn't realize that a stress fracture in the thumb was life threatening.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Are the kids going to have some kind of elimination process? If so that's not going to be fun for the kids to endure rejection.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

No, they won't be eliminated. They can, however, leave at will.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

The more I read about this show, the more I wonder about the age difference. 15 years old to 8 years old? That is a huge difference, and I wonder what effect it will have. Bearcata, until they knew it was a stress fracture (by x-ray) it could have been any type, ie. avulsion....that needs treatment or it could affect the use of a thumb for life if left.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2570857;
    The more I read about this show, the more I wonder about the age difference. 15 years old to 8 years old? That is a huge difference, and I wonder what effect it will have.
    I wonder about that too. I mean around 13 years old a lot of kids, ehem... discover their sexuality (whether or not they act on it). Whereas the younger kids have a completely different mindset about gender differences.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Regular

I cant wait for this show to start, but thing is it comes on the same time as americas next top model

FORT Newbie

Ths show looks interesting.. I wonder if they will leave, get homesick and stuff..

This show looks pretty interesting! I was afraid that my cable didnt have this channel. I saw it on a yahoo preview a month ago I think, and it looks amazing!

And I remembered something about gold coins that valued up to real cash but its only for their scholarship when they get into college. Cant wait!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast