+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SpikeTV might be dropped in Canada

SpikeTV might be dropped in Canada

Holy Schnikies!

According to the Globe and Mail, the Canadian Association of Broadcasters is challenging SpikeTV's license to broadcast in Canada because of a complaint filed by MenTV, who nobody has ever heard of or seen.

However, it's not a "done deal" (I really wanna say "fait accompli" -- 'cause it sounds smarter). Opposition party industry critic James Rajotte is on the side of SpikeTV.
    Mr. Rajotte questioned the Spike TV complaint. "Well, have you seen Men TV? I don't know what that is," he said. "Whereas Spike TV, I've seen it. ..... Why can Canadians not have the choice of watching it or not watching it?"

Spike TV broadcasts the popular Joe Schmo 2 and offers programs on stock cars, several detective shows and even the animated Stripperella, in which Pamela Anderson voices a character who is a stripper by night and a secret agent later at night.

The U.S. station says Men TV caters to an entirely different audience, broadcasting shows on gourmet food, men's beauty and fitness, and the book and music market. It argues: "The removal of Spike TV threatens the ability and choice of Canadian viewers to access programming that meets their varied and ever-changing interests."
    Sounds to me like "MenTV" is really "GayTV", and isn't that what Bravo channel is turning into in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by getreal
    Holy Schnikies!

According to the Globe and Mail, the Canadian Association of Broadcasters is challenging SpikeTV's license to broadcast in Canada because of a complaint filed by MenTV, who nobody has ever heard of or seen.
    Holy Schnikies indeed! Half the TV I watch is on Spike! What the heck is Men TV? Never heard of it.

Not being from canada, I have to say that sucks for you. BTW, Men TV sounds really really dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedONE
    Not being from canada, I have to say that sucks for you. BTW, Men TV sounds really really dirty.
    If their web site (http://www.mentv.ca/) is any indication, the channel is complete crap.
    From what little I've been able to find out about Men TV it sounds like a station for complete pussies.

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    for the love of god, NO!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Clarification , Men TV was online in Canada for years before Spike TV. As for being "dirty" what the heck do you expect "Men TV" to be - floral arrangements? As for " Gay TV" as we already have a Pride channel that pretty much covers that demographic. Bravo and Pride were sister stations before Bravo was rolled out to the US market. I don't know why they haven't seen fit to do the same for Pride. I just don't think America is ready for it, I mean you bleep Ozzie -
    Last edited by eny; 08-12-2004 at 11:34 PM.

+ Reply to Thread