+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Ambrosia is the Bitch then Joe Schmo is racist?

If Ambrosia is the Bitch then Joe Schmo is racist?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...-wickham_x.htm

I personally think this guy is full of crap. He says that the show is perpetuating negative black woman stereotypes. I think that is a load of bull.

First off this guy never watched the show before and second, last year's bitch was a white woman (Ashleigh). This guy is clearly trying to move his own agenda. Hell, he filed a complaint to the FCC. I swear people like this irk me so bad.

Here it is:

TV-show parody feeds stereotype
    By DeWayne Wickham
    As soon as Charles Stith got a look at the Joe Schmo 2 ad that ran in USA TODAY last week, he fired off a letter to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
    "I found the ad unconscionable and offensive," the United Methodist minister and former U.S. ambassador to Tanzania said in his missive to Michael Powell, the FCC chairman. Stith said Spike TV, the cable television network that caters to men, crossed the line when it captioned one of the show's cast members in the ad a black woman as "The Bitch."

Labeling her in this way, Stith argued, "is defaming of African-American women and represents an unfair stereotype that disadvantages them by characterizing them as difficult, unreasonable, treacherous persons not to be trusted."

It's also something the FCC, which regulates broadcasters' use of the public airwaves, has no control over. Even the show's use of "The Bitch" label in its season premiere broadcast last week does not fall under the purview of the FCC.

While the content of print publications is correctly protected by the First Amendment, it is subject to self-regulation. Asked about USA TODAY's policy, Steve Anderson, the paper's director of communications, said it has three criteria for rejecting an ad: It raises legal concerns, is libelous or is patently offensive. The Spike TV ad, which also ran in Entertainment Weekly and US Weekly, apparently didn't meet any of those tests. And it didn't set off any alarm bells at Spike TV.

No intent to offend

"Joe Schmo 2 is a satire on the conventions of reality television," said Robert Pini, the spokesperson for Spike TV. "All of the characters in the series are parodies of the genre, and they are not meant to offend or demean any specific race or gender."

Though there is no reason to believe that Spike TV had bad intentions when it generated the print ad, labeling a black woman "The Bitch" is likely to make as many blacks bristle as laugh. Such a characterization in what is popularly called "the mainstream media" comes in the wake of years of protests over the increasingly misogynistic lyrics of some rap artists songs that have sparked a mix of anger and soul-searching among black women, who are largely the focus of the music.

In April, the rap artist Nelly was forced to cancel a bone-marrow drive at Spelman College, a historically black college for women in Atlanta, because of the protests of students who were offended by the lyrics and images of one of his music videos.

The negative portrayal of the lone black woman in the Joe Schmo 2 ad also comes just a few months after the sole black woman on The Apprentice, NBC's hit reality show, was saddled with the same label. In the case of Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth, the tag came from other contestants. They all were competing for the chance to work for mogul Donald Trump.

In the Joe Schmo 2 ad, the black female character is named Ambrosia, a parody of The Apprentice femme fatale who came to be known simply as Omarosa.

Promoting stereotype

And that's the rub.

"The stereotype of the black woman as being cunning and back-stabbing has gone from being implicit to being explicit" with the Spike TV ad, Stith said. That the cable network's executives and the creative folks in its advertising department didn't anticipate a hostile reaction is understandable. Far too many people in positions of power lack a sensitivity to the subtleties of this nation's racial divide.

It is one thing for a female competitor on a reality show to call another one a "scheming, conniving bitch," but it's something else for a television show to brand a black woman with that ugly handle.

Spike TV could have called Ambrosia "The Vixen." It could have branded her "The Siren" or "The Shrew." But instead it chose to label her "The Bitch" a designation that might bring it more grief than viewers.

DeWayne Wickham writes weekly for USA TODAY.

Nerds Just Wanna Have Fun Boredom's Avatar
    Oh, come on. I wasn't offended in the least by it. They're just trying to parody Omarosa, and there is no doubt that O was a bey-otch. The entire show is meant to be a joke, and if you can't accept that, then you might as well not watch.

boy, is this guy stupid

he doesn't realize the concept behind the show i guess

"ambrosia" is not a bitch, but she plays one on tv

the problem with people today is that they are too sensitive and offended by every little thing

everyone needs to just relax...

This guy is a moron. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, someone please fire him. He is being racist himself, so he is saying a white woman should be hired as a bitch? I find that extremly offensive and racist. :nono ...moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Boredom
    Oh, come on. I wasn't offended in the least by it. They're just trying to parody Omarosa, and there is no doubt that O was a bey-otch. The entire show is meant to be a joke, and if you can't accept that, then you might as well not watch.
    I think the guy just wanted his own 15 minutes of fame.

He actually went on "The Kevin and Bean Show" on KROQ in LA. He couldn't defend himself against Ralph. Ralph was great in defending his show and made excellent points. Sure they guy wouldn't admit he's wrong, but everyone else knew Ralph was right.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    Isn't this show supposed to be one giant stereotype? Even though "bitches" on reality shows/dating are usually white, so that one doesn't hold true. It's just a parody of Omarosa. Cammy is a parody of Jessica Simpson, Gerald of the metrosexual guy from Bachelorette 2, Ernie of Average Joe's Adam, Rita of Ruthie from Real World and the drunken girl from the latest Bachelor, and so on. All these people being mocked were white, but they aren't being accused of being racist stereotypes.
    Who I'm rooting for: Survivor: Vanuatu - Scout Cloud Lee, Leann Slaby, Lea Masters, Eliza Orlins, Twila Tanner, and Lisa Keiffer.

Stith is a moron.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast