+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If Ambrosia is the Bitch then Joe Schmo is racist?

Oh for Pete's sake. Was this guy serious? Does he even know what the show is about?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Apple obsessed goddess Tangerinejoy's Avatar
    This is so stupid.

So maybe homosexuals should be mad about Kip? And Virgins were being mocked by Molly? Or better yet, the redneck Hutch? Give me a break. It's a parody. I doubt they were looking for a black woman to be the "bitch" anyway, maybe she was just perfect for the role? This guy, who never even watched the show is expecting to win this arguement? pfft.

FORT Newbie
    Personally, I don't care, but Mr. Race Card does have a valid point, although he's too much of an imbecile to make a reasonable argument.

True, Ambrosia is a parody of Omarosa. And Ashley, who was either white or hispanic or some mix was the "Bitch" in the First one. However, why was Gina the "Schemer" in the first Joe Shmoe.

I think the point that Mr. Race Card was trying to make, although failing miserably in his attempt to make it, was that there are only negative representations of Black women on reality tv shoes (Schemer, Bitch). What he should have said was that they should include some positive representations as well so that negative stereotypes aren't reinforced through this medium.

Now if JoeShmoe2 was really smart they would have just hired the real omarosa as the Bitch, but not told her that the show was fake.

And I don't think he had a valid point at all. If you're going to complain about negative representations, you should do so about the ORIGINAL reality show that is presenting those stereotypes, and NOT the scripted, cast parody of those shows.

It would be like writing to the FCC to complain about Saturday Night Live ruining the English language by portraying Snoop Dogg as a guy who can't complete a real word without adding "izzle" on the end of it, when in fact Snoop is the guy they should be complaining about, not SNL. Anyway, my point is a little hard to get down in type, but basically they're bitching about the wrong thing completely, which I summed up earlier by stating that the guy was a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    And I don't think he had a valid point at all. If you're going to complain about negative representations, you should do so about the ORIGINAL reality show that is presenting those stereotypes, and NOT the scripted, cast parody of those shows.

It would be like writing to the FCC to complain about Saturday Night Live ruining the English language by portraying Snoop Dogg as a guy who can't complete a real word without adding "izzle" on the end of it, when in fact Snoop is the guy they should be complaining about, not SNL. Anyway, my point is a little hard to get down in type, but basically they're bitching about the wrong thing completely, which I summed up earlier by stating that the guy was a moron.
    The underlying theme of Joe Schmo is making fun of reality shows. The booting out of the minority extras at the beginning was a pointed barb at what happens on other shows. Making Ambrosia the bitch isn't racist. It's poking fun at Omarosa. I suppose they could have cast a white woman and had Montecore graze her head on the way to landing on Derek's arm and then had an ambulance take her away with a disclaimer flashing on the screen that she had recovered after spending 3 weeks in intensive care. Would people have found that to be racist because it mocked Omarosa?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHippo
    Personally, I don't care, but Mr. Race Card does have a valid point, although he's too much of an imbecile to make a reasonable argument.

True, Ambrosia is a parody of Omarosa. And Ashley, who was either white or hispanic or some mix was the "Bitch" in the First one. However, why was Gina the "Schemer" in the first Joe Shmoe.

I think the point that Mr. Race Card was trying to make, although failing miserably in his attempt to make it, was that there are only negative representations of Black women on reality tv shoes (Schemer, Bitch). What he should have said was that they should include some positive representations as well so that negative stereotypes aren't reinforced through this medium.

Now if JoeShmoe2 was really smart they would have just hired the real omarosa as the Bitch, but not told her that the show was fake.
    How about making the black woman the drunk? Or the idiot? There are no positive representations on Joe Schmo, so touchy people are going to be offended no matter what. If no minorities were cast in these roles, somebody would complain about the lily-white cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Hag
    How about making the black woman the drunk? Or the idiot? There are no positive representations on Joe Schmo, so touchy people are going to be offended no matter what. If no minorities were cast in these roles, somebody would complain about the lily-white cast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123