Closed Thread
Page 534 of 538 FirstFirst ... 34434484524525526527528529530531532533534535536537538 LastLast
Results 5,331 to 5,340 of 5372

Thread: Joe Schmo 1 (all posts)

LDK

Thanks guys!

I just got back from vacation yesterday. It looks like this forum may go bye-bye soon, so I wanted to thank everyone personally for your support of the show. You made being a part of Joe Schmo even more special for me and I will never forget it.

Lance Krall

Best of luck to you Lance. Please let us know about your future projects!
    I love your website!!

Praise, Observations, and Constructive Criticism

I have really enjoyed this forum, and while I do appreciate the moderators' obvious work in maintaining this site, I have to admit that there are very obvious patterns in the 54 pages of posts.

The Joe Schmo Show was about reality; how writers can never recreate but only attempt to portray reality, because despite their best attempts "to hold, as 'twere, the mirror up to nature; to show virtue her own feature, scorn her own image, and the very age and body of the time his form and pressure." They did a great job following Hamlet's advice to the players, especially keeping in mind that, "this overdone, or come tardy off, though it make the unskilful laugh, cannot but make the judicious grieve; the censure of the which one must in your allowance o'erweigh a whole theatre of others."

400 year old wisdom that has generated a thoughtful and caring following on this board.

The strengths of the show came from the respect for Matt, the actors, and the crew. Their work and their feelings were important to those controlling the situation. We all responded to this, and the show's growth in popularity was reflected in our discussions.

However on this FORT thread, when JOHN came on he not only dismissed the show as being unworthy of his interest (or that of any other moderator's,) he also treated us like squabbling children when we tried to challenge his perceptions of the show. Each time this happened had a noticeable effect on the members. Some tried to convince you, some tried to rebel against you, some ignored you, and others left.

It would have been nice to perhaps have extended the offer to one of the more prolific posters (especially those that were able to make a donation) to become a moderator. That would have demonstrated that there was respect for the general FORT members, and not simply for those that like the shows the current moderators enjoy. It would have shown the members here that our presence was more than simply tolerated.

-Let me interject that I voluntarily run a free Shakespere Festival where I do more work than anyone else, but am the last to get paid when the season is over. Those who know theatre know that I never see a penny, so I am not advocating something I am unwilling to live up to. The money meets the mouth.-

The moderators have chosen to offer a service. If you cannot muster the energy to pay attention to the show itself, or to the members, why not deputize someone to help. 5300+ posts showed pretty remarkable interest for a cable show with a very limited run. Yet you only showed up to chastise us or to justify your rules.

It is very much like waiting tables... it takes very little to earn a good tip. The devil is in the details. Simple respect, joy, and a willingness to improve service would have had a dramatic effect.

Despite the apparent lack of interest in anything other than keeping us on topic, most of us stayed and had a great time. But after each chastisement people clammed up. And now the thread is dead despite the fact that we are now getting answers to much of what we discussed and asked about in this forum. Matt gives his commentary each week!!!

But we have found other places to chat and call home.

John & Co., you all have a great service, and I appreciate what you have created and maintained, but its too bad you cared so little about this that you were willing to let us depart rather than find ways to improve the service.

You might delete this as being "off-topic" or being anti-FORT, but it would simply confirm what I feared all along, that if we won't play by your rules you will take your toys away. And yet we were the ones treated like children.

Thank you moderators for the forum, the opportunity to make new friends, and the chance to post my suggestions.

Thanks to all the members for the insights, and I look forward to more free discussions on our other boards.

And thanks to Rhett, Brian, Lance, David, Angela, and anyone else I from the show. It has been a pleasure to share your experiences.

Finally: Thanks Matt for being real.
    TheDouglas
    -doing shakespeare in cleveland-

"Be safe; act dangerous."

"Now is the time when you vote and one of you will be sent away, back to your pathetic little life, working for the man." -Ralph, the Smarmy Host on The Joe Schmo Show

FORT Fan
    Thank you, TheDouglas, for your nice words. We'll see you over on Tivo community!

R

It would have been nice to perhaps have extended the offer to one of the more prolific posters (especially those that were able to make a donation) to become a moderator.
    Simply put, that's not how we run the site. For better or for worse, but we have decided how this site will be run, and that's the bottom line. It's certainly not our intention to run off our members, but in the interest of keeping them around, we're not willing to change what we do and how we do it. Sorry if that upsets some people, but we can't please everyone, so we don't set our sights that high. We only aim to please the subset of visitors who enjoy our site and the way we run it - I can't and don't worry about the rest.

For what it's worth, even though I never watched the show, and felt it was only a reality show by the widest of descriptions, I tried to get a recapper for the show on a couple of occasions. All I heard were crickets, and this from a staff who normally jumps at the chance to recap everything from "North Shore: Boarding House" to "American Idol" and everything in between.

If we had found a willing recapper among our staff, we would have had a forum for the show. But we didn't, so we didn't. We didn't inhibit anyone's discussion of the show, on topic and within our rules, in any way. I jumped into the discussion with small corrections here and there, just like I do with any show I'm not watching - Paradise Hotel, for example. The only posts I have in the PH forum are to bring things back on topic.

We enjoyed having everyone here during the run of the show, especially the actors and producers, who gave our members and visitors insight into the show they would otherwise not have gotten. We appreciate everyone who visited or posted about the show. But was the show REALLY important enough to make us change the way we choose to run this (privately funded and privately owned and operated) site? Not in my opinion.

that you were willing to let us depart rather than find ways to improve the service
    You say improvement, but what you really mean is change... I say that the change requested is not an improvement, and that's where we differ.

Best of luck to everyone, wherever you land, whether it be here or somewhere else...

Goodbye to High Society
    From Matt's sister:

Hi Its about 2:45pm on [Sun] and my brother is on his way over to my house..I have told him about this site and he's going on line in a few minutes to check it all out..I have been telling him how awesome all of these comments have been , so hopefully we can have a chat with evevryone in about a 1/2 hour...

http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...294#post512294

We're all waiting in the other FoRT thread. Please join us!

I noticed a lot of people are posting over on the TiVo forum.
    We also have another new resource.
    www.angeladodson.tv
    Angela just launched her own site.
    (sorry if you've already talked about this here)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDouglas
    John & Co., you all have a great service, and I appreciate what you have created and maintained, but its too bad you cared so little about this that you were willing to let us depart rather than find ways to improve the service.
    TheDouglas, I think the FORT site is great and could not be improved by changing its policies. The great thing about the FORT is that it is a very civil, reasonably intellectual AND freewheeling place to discuss topics of interest. Those qualities are possible because of the judicious control exerted by John and the mods. The irony is that this great, secure evironment for discussion could be threatened if John started loosening things up the way some Schmo posters wanted. (The vagaries of the slippery slope, etc.)
    Last edited by pillbeam; 11-17-2003 at 03:08 PM.

LDK

yo

Hey Schmo nerds,

I am working on a new demo reel. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Here is the link: http://homepage.mac.com/lancekrall/iMovieTheater7.html

BTW, did anyone see Master and Comander yet? It is AMAZING.

Later,
    Lance Krall

Haven't checked on this forum in a week or so, looked in tonight 'cause I figured people would still be lighting it up with posts, with Matt doing commentary on the re-airing and all. Skipped a bunch of posts so I'm not sure what happened, but it looks like folks are complaining about something-or-other. Sucks that this forum ended up like that, especially considering that some of the people responsible for the show are still checking in. But hell, that's the internet.

Lance, checked out your demo reel. It's great. The Spider-Man clip had me rolling. How are the post-Schmo opportunities?

Closed Thread