Closed Thread

Thread: Joe Schmo 1 (all posts)

I'm not going to sit idly by while you guys completely re-hash the "after taxes" discussion that happens on every single reality show discussion forum.

Matt joined a reality show called "Lap of Luxury" whose grand prize was $100k. He won that $100k, plus other prizes, so that's the end of the story.

I'll delete further discussion of that particular point. Whether that's "enough" or not is not up for contention.

FORT Newbie
    Joe Schmo definitely has been one of the best reality shows ever.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I'm not going to sit idly by while you guys completely re-hash the "after taxes" discussion that happens on every single reality show discussion forum.

Matt joined a reality show called "Lap of Luxury" whose grand prize was $100k. He won that $100k, plus other prizes, so that's the end of the story.

I'll delete further discussion of that particular point. Whether that's "enough" or not is not up for contention.
    First you wanted to edit out any discussion not considered "on-topic". Fair enough. But now you're trying to edit out on-topic discussion because you're sick of it? Understandably, it's your board and you have the control to do whatever you want with it. But you've conveniently chased off the vast majority of the regular users of the TJSS forum soon after several of their names have "turned green", so to speak. Ever heard of that term about biting the hand that feeds you? I'm glad I didn't contribute any money to FoRT, which I had seriously considered doing. But it's fair for you to return the monetary contributions to those who donated solely because of their appreciation for this board. I think I speak for them when I say that appreciation is nil now, because of the recent turn of events.
    "Fool me-fool me once, shame on you. Fool me-you can't get fooled again." - George W. Bush

Here is a little something I read on "TheFutonCritic.com" about Matt's new Spike TV job...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE JOE SCHMO SHOW (Spike TV) - The show's "star," Matt Kennedy Gould, has signed a development deal with the network. His first duty: record "commentary" for the series' first season when it begins re-airing on November 11. Gould will record 15-90 second segments to air between each commercial break, letting viewers in on his state of mind as he was being duped. Also as part of the pact, he'll appear on the network's upcoming special "Spike 52: The Hottest Holiday Gifts" on November 23. Hosted by Aisha Tyler, the special will feature 52 gifts appropriate for men to buy for their girlfriends, relatives and pals. Gould will chime in and ask questions in the role of surrogate for the male viewer as well as do a few man-in-the-street interviews to solicit opinions about people's favorite gifts.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Clipse; 11-10-2003 at 05:58 AM.

But you've conveniently chased off the vast majority of the regular users of the TJSS forum soon after several of their names have "turned green", so to speak.
    If anyone who donated money to the site feels that I've "bitten the hand that feeds me", I will happily refund anything they would like, if they send me a PM or e-mail. None of those who have donated have, at this point.

And for the record, I don't feel that the particular discussion that I put an end to IS on-topic.

'Joe Schmo' Works Mojo at Spike TV
    (Friday, November 07 12:15 PM)

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - So maybe this is how you parlay reality-TV stardom into fame: Appear on a fake reality show where the only one who's not an aspiring actor is you.

It seems to be working for Matt Kennedy Gould, the star of Spike TV's "Joe Schmo Show." He's signed a development deal with the cable network and will appear in at least two projects in the coming weeks.

Gould, a law-school dropout from Pittsburgh, was the unwitting center of "Joe Schmo," an elaborately constructed fake in which he thought he was competing for $100,000 on a reality show called "Lap of Luxury." In actuality, all the other "contestants" were actors, and their roles were scripted.

The series finale, in which the ruse was revealed to Gould and the producers gave him the $100,000 prize, drew 3.4 million viewers -- the biggest audience for an original series on TNN/Spike TV since September 2000.

Spike TV will re-air the full run of "Joe Schmo" beginning Tuesday (Nov. 11). Gould will provide short commentaries before and after each segment of the show, describing what he was thinking at the time.

He'll also be part of the special "Spike 52: The Hottest Holiday Gifts," scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 23. The special, hosted by Aisha Tyler ("Friends"), will run down a list of gifts men can feel safe giving their relatives and significant others for the holidays. Gould will offer a guy's perspective on some of the choices and do on-the-street interviews about people's favorite presents.

FORT Fogey
    You have no idea how much this article excited me.... I thought that the Schmo shows were just re-runs.... wooohoooo!!!! thanks John for posting this... despite the opinions of many others, I still think you are doing a WONDERFUL job... you can't please everyone, and I'm glad you understand that, unfortunately others can't see this.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by melsbud
    First you wanted to edit out any discussion not considered "on-topic". Fair enough. But now you're trying to edit out on-topic discussion because you're sick of it? Understandably, it's your board and you have the control to do whatever you want with it. But you've conveniently chased off the vast majority of the regular users of the TJSS forum soon after several of their names have "turned green", so to speak. Ever heard of that term about biting the hand that feeds you? I'm glad I didn't contribute any money to FoRT, which I had seriously considered doing. But it's fair for you to return the monetary contributions to those who donated solely because of their appreciation for this board. I think I speak for them when I say that appreciation is nil now, because of the recent turn of events.

First off, let me start out by saying melsbud...how ungrateful you are. This board/site/threads/etc/etc is brought to you by our friend John. Nobody else. I for one don't visit other sites because this site is run/monitored/updated better then any other site that I've come across. You seem to be "biting the hand" that feeds YOU imo. You "thought" about contributing, but are happy now that you didn't? Wow. So you posted over 80 some posts on this site, and I'd dare to speculate that it was all about The Joe Schmo Show.... NOW that the show is over, you're saying the appreciation is nil? Well, you sure did have a dandy good time in the thread when you were posting whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted...without any problems. Convenient that you're appreciation is nil NOW.
    John has a valid point for the discussion about the $$ and taxes, if you'd of read the whole THREAD, you'd see that the subject HAS been hashed over plenty. Usually it is erickman who starts the banter about Matt being paid or not...and it's a typical trollish behavior. John...being the astute site owner he is...saw the tell-tale signs of yet another "troll & bait trick" happening, and decided to nip it in the butt before it consumed the thread again.

"Recent turn of events"? What's that melsbud, you deciding NOT to contribute? The recent turn of events that I've noticed of this site is alot of dedication to making it absolutely wonderful AND FREE for those of us who want to participate. How about a site where to even READ it, you HAVE TO PAY?!
    I think I speak for "ALL THE OTHERS" who are still on this site and DON'T give a rats crap if the tired old debate about taxes/100K is still able to be talked about or not.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To keep this post on-topic..I saw Matt in a promo for the upcoming episodes and he looks like he's having a great time!! I'm so happy for him.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by dfleming2
    ... despite the opinions of many others, I still think you are doing a WONDERFUL job... you can't please everyone, and I'm glad you understand that, unfortunately others can't see this.
    I'm sorry, but that part of your post will be deleted because it is off-topic.

Although I'm not a brown-noser (not saying you are), John is doing a pretty good job compared to other forums I have visited in the past where they let people (especially the regulars) get away with murder. They'll let them use 4-letter words and attack other members as long as the moderators agree with the attackers.

I think a lot of people were put off because John sees more of the big picture where no one is an individual, it's just faceless cattle and he's just trying to do his best to corral them or move them in or out of here. But many people who posted in this thread see things more as individuals sharing an interest. They want to talk about that interest, but they are not robots, so they goof around a little or go off-topic for a few posts when an interesting subject is brought up. Whether it's about jobs, dead relatives, video games, how much you like the FORT site, how much you want to have John's baby, and so on, they soon get back on track and all is right with the world.

Some anal retentive people say that a thread should be strictly on one subject and every post should either be a question about that subject or information on that subject. That would be great if the world was full of Hitler "wanna-bes," but although most people need a little structure, they also have a need for a little flexibility, a little freedom so they don't feel like they are trapped in a cage. John provided that friendly environment for a while and it was great. It seems that as a thread dies here, things get a little more strict and that's OK, but that combined with John's statement about not really caring if we stay or go turned off a lot of people and that's OK too. No big deal.

John made many people feel like:

1. He didn't care if they were here

2. He didn't want or need their money (So why not get rid of the ads and just stick to donations from his buddies and any brown-nosers who pop up?)

3. He doesn't want us to clump together anywhere else on the site, even for a small amount of time (although it is clear to anyone with half a brain that there are cliques in various areas of the FORT site.)

Many people just didn't feel welcome anymore and since this thread was dying anyway, there was nothing to keep them here. No one wants to be thought of as cattle, they want to feel special, even if it's a lie.

I'll probably be back here in another thread one day to discuss some other show that I like, but Joe Schmo made me want to participate while other shows that I love such as "Survivor" don't really motivate me enough to join in. To be clear, I don't hate the FORT site or John. I do think that I'm one of those people who wants to be lied to a little about how welcome I am. I know deep down that any host or hostess wishes I were dead, but I'd rather have that odium concealed.
    Visit Random Terrain. Gaze in awe and try not to crap your pants.

Thanks, RT, for the well-thought-out comments. I realize this particular topic has been beat to death, and everyone's already decided what they're going to do, but I just wanted to address these 3 things below...

John made many people feel like:

1. He didn't care if they were here

2. He didn't want or need their money (So why not get rid of the ads and just stick to donations from his buddies and any brown-nosers who pop up?)

3. He doesn't want us to clump together anywhere else on the site, even for a small amount of time (although it is clear to anyone with half a brain that there are cliques in various areas of the FORT site.)
    1) Obviously, I care a little about members, or I'd just close the place up and leave it open to only staff. I enjoy 97% of our members and their opinions. But I'm also a realist, and know that not everyone will like the site the way it's run. My uncompromising position is that we will not change the site to appease the people who don't agree with it, and we understand that it means some of them leave, and not always happily.

2) While I don't *need* the money, several members asked for ways they could help out the site. Since not everyone can be a writer or a mod, we give them some benefits in return for a financial contribution, which helps them feel like they're supporting the site, and gives us a little extra cash flow to plow back into the site in the way of improvements. The single banner ad on each page helps offset the cost of this expensive, dedicated server we run on, so that it doesn't entirely come out of my pocket. We have always maintained, and always WILL maintain, a strict "no pop-ups" policy here, even though it would help us make a lot more money than we currently do. I didn't get into this for the money, and as it happens, I am fortunate enough to make decent money with my real job. The site will never shut down due to lack of funds coming in, and unlike a couple of other well-known sites, we will never have a "donate or we're going bankrupt" drive. If you are able and willing to donate, thank you. But if you're not able or not willing, we're just as happy to have you here.

3) There's a difference between "clumping together elsewhere on the site" and starting a thread in another forum called "the Joe Schmo Exiles thread" or whatever it was called. If a bunch of you had said "hey, I'll catch you over on the Survivor forum", or whatever, there would have been absolutely no resistance to that idea. Where you get resistance is when you try to avoid being part of our general membership by self-imposed segregation within a public forum. I see the difference, and hopefully you can as well.

Closed Thread