Closed Thread

Thread: Joe Schmo 1 (all posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Inundated
    I'm gonna make you all blush now.

I'm guessing that perhaps the TJSS audience is among some of the brightest, most intelligent people holding onto a cable TV remote. I'm constantly amazed at the kind of people who "delurk" here and share with us their love of the show, and their backgrounds.
    I was thinking the same thing. The calibre (ah, nuts, now I have worry about spelling!) of the posters here is outstanding and impressive. I wonder if Muggum anticipated attracting a group like us. (I think he may have.)

Hey it's Thursday and Muggum still has not forsaken us.

I wonder if anyone else related to the show will ever be back?
    Visit Random Terrain. Gaze in awe and try not to crap your pants.

My Opinion

Well, now that the show's over, I'd like to share my opinion (Not that anyone cares):
    Sorry to anybody I may offend, but I'm just being honest. (And sorry it's so long).

The Cast:

Gina - Didn't really have enough time to get into her roll. Horrible acting during her farewell speech, but I guess it was supposed to be over the top.

Earl - Fine, but I got the idea that he was just acting as himself. I forgive him the "underwear slip" because the fish boxers weren't originally supposed to be his.

Dr. Pat - A fine actress, and I liked her character a lot. I loved her performance piece with the puppets, and her "relationship" with Hutch (complete with her final vote).

Molly - the producers should have gotten someone with some acting/improvisation talent instead of hiring some Hawaian Tropics model for her looks. I'm shocked that she didn't blow the whole thing. She didn't remember she's supposed to be religious and say Grace! She didn't remember where she was supposed to be from! When she did get caught in a mistake what did she do? She bit her own tongue and ran! (I think I tried that same thing when I was 6 years old). She shouted out "Johnny Carson" when that is the ONE NAME SHE WAS TOLD NOT TO SAY! Everything about her seemed phony and forced. "I'm wearing a bikini, which is ok I know now"?!? Try *ACTING* instead of just saying things.

Kip - Brilliant. Hillarious. Excellent casting. Excellent acting!

Ashleigh - She was supposed to be a bitch and she wasn't until like the 2nd to last episode. Kip and Hutch showed they're great acting ability by playing characters that were different from how they are in real life. Ashleigh is not a great actor.

Hutch - F*ING AWESOME! Genious! Totally threw himself into the role and it paid off big time!

Brian - I put him in the same group as Earl. Great, but it didn't seem like he was playing a character. He was just being himself.

Matt - What can I say? Cudos to the people that cast him. You did an amazing job. Matt was the perfect Joe Schmo.

Ralph - The perfect smarmy host. I loved every eviction ceremony because of him. (and I loved the bee suit).

Molly's Boyfriend - Great job.

Network Exec. - Not very believable. Even gullible Matt wasn't entirely fooled.

The Show:

My main problem with the show was how sexist and demeaning to women it was. This was a great show because of the characters, and didn't need to have naked whores in every episode. ("Stay tuned after the break and you'll get to see Molly's nipple pop out of her bathing suit!!") But I guess I should expect that from Spike TV. They're trying to make a name for themselves as "The First Network for Horny Men Who Don't Respect Women". I'm sorry this show wasn't produced for a less chauvanistic network. I think it could have been a lot better.

Maybe the ratings wouldn't have been as high if it wasn't for all of the strippers, but I know several people who STOPPED watching the show because of them.

Quote Originally Posted by YCan'tAngieRead
    [Some things I noticed from the finale and random other episodes highlighted in the finale:
    -Could it be possible that Earl got confused about the underwear thing because they switched the underwear he was supposed to have? I remembered (and then watched the scene again) that Matt got so many answers right they had to switch the right answers around. If they'd changed my underwear answer, I'd probably mess it up too.

-On that same subject, I had a great time last night rewinding and fast forwarding the Whose Drawers Are... contest and trying to figure out what underwear "belonged" to who originally-if they changed the right answers. Which led me to think maybe Earl's was supposed to be the cammo boxers. There are some you couldn't change-like the no underwear being The Hutch's, Matt's (obviously), and Molly's. But how funny would it have been if the crotchless were actually going to be Kip's?
    Funny, I had the same thought about why Earl got confused. They probably didn't have an opportunity to call an audible saying "cast pay attention!".

Great fun to think about the original answers to Whose Drawers Are These. Sounds like a great idea for a matching game - do you hear me getreal?

Imagine Earl going "au natural"!
    Angie, great to have you back online. It's nice and warm here
    Last edited by Hapa; 10-30-2003 at 02:44 PM.
    I like to watch - Chance the Gardener, Being There

Pearle,

So sorry about your woes. Things seem to happen in bunches. I hope things take a turn for the better - and quick! Just don't lose your computer so you can stay with us online!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schmo
    My main problem with the show was how sexist and demeaning to women it was. This was a great show because of the characters, and didn't need to have naked whores in every episode. ("Stay tuned after the break and you'll get to see Molly's nipple pop out of her bathing suit!!") But I guess I should expect that from Spike TV. They're trying to make a name for themselves as "The First Network for Horny Men Who Don't Respect Women". I'm sorry this show wasn't produced for a less chauvanistic network. I think it could have been a lot better.

Maybe the ratings wouldn't have been as high if it wasn't for all of the strippers, but I know several people who STOPPED watching the show because of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Terrain
    Hey it's Thursday and Muggum still has not forsaken us.

I wonder if anyone else related to the show will ever be back?
    Muggum must be doing research for TJSSII or his next altered reality series based upon an online chat room.

Just remember, that we want some writing credit or at least an invite to the premier party if any of the ideas are used.
    I like to watch - Chance the Gardener, Being There

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schmo

I know what you mean. I just wrote it off to the fact that it was on SPIKE, after all. But I do think Spike may have misinterpreted what men want. T & A is a given, but that's available EVERYWHERE these days. If I'm reading the comments here, the T & A was appreciated but it wasn't what attracted and kept the male audience. I think it was in a review somewhere, and I won't even come close to what they said, but basically it mentioned that men were apprecaitive of the humor and cleverness. If Spike is paying attention, they'll be looking for more show like this and leave the T & A (or most of it) to the multitude of other sources.

As for the female characters, I don't think they were given much to work with. I think the writers should have given them more defined traits than virgin, bitch and schemer. At least Dr. Pat's character had some heft to it - she had something to work with. The other descriptions are somewhat vague.

FORT Newbie
    I quoted Matt Schmo, before I typed in my opinion, accidentally hit enter, and Wendiness just about said what I was going to (are you psychic?)! Thanks Wendiness, you said it better than I could have!

Quote Originally Posted by pearle
    one last thing, could someone please repost that funny remote control picture? that would really cheer me up! p.
    Sorry to hear about all of the difficult times that you have been/are going thru. But it sounds like you have a positive attitude thru all of it and that is the most important thing. Mental health is very important. And I hope that your life takes a turn for the better and we are all glad that you have joined us and hopefully we have entertained you and made you laugh (just like Joe Schmo did)!

Now which remote were you talking about?

Chris

Closed Thread