Closed Thread
Page 13 of 538 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Schmo 1 (all posts)

FORT Fan
    Angie, I'm really sorry, but I just can't talk about how the show ended. Hang in there, though!

Muggum

FORT Newbie
    I heard a radio interview this morning with "kip" who was saying that Matt won't do any interviews and is super pissed at everyone- apparently he didn't get the joke at the end of the season. "kip" said that he has tried calling Matt several times and that Matt won't return his or anyone else's phone calls.

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by realitytvfan
    I heard a radio interview this morning with "kip" who was saying that Matt won't do any interviews and is super pissed at everyone- apparently he didn't get the joke at the end of the season. "kip" said that he has tried calling Matt several times and that Matt won't return his or anyone else's phone calls.
    Matt didn't strike me as having much of a sense of humor but maybe he will get over it and decide to cooperate if the show turns out to be a hit.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

FORT Fogey
    I would be more then happy and go on TV and be made to look liek a fool if i got to put my hand on Tawnie Roberts boobie, getting 100K would be a bonus.

lool @ charlafan, I concur!! ... yay tonight more schmo!!

On Hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Does that help? It doesn't really help me, because I don't like prank shows, and this is just a serialized prank show...But maybe you.
    I wish it did. But I'm like you-I don't enjoy prank shows...

I am going to hang in there with this one, though, because I love watching the actors. But all the news that Matt is mad is very, very troubling to me. I'm not sure why it didn't bother me the first time I watched it...but it sure does bug me now. Maybe I'll just look away when Matt is doing the one-on-one interviews.

I've never enjoyed prank shows. Even Candid Camera makes me uncomfortable. I can't even watch The Daily Show, despite the fact that I love everyone on there...I wish Joe Schmo could turn out to be a prank on the actors or something...now THAT'D be funny.

I do so love watching the actors...
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

FORT Fan
    For what it's worth, Angie, I would take all internet rumors with a grain of salt. That probably includes everything I type, too! =)

Muggum

On Hiatus
    Ha. Good reminder. I should NEVER believe anything I read on the internet. It's all a big conspiracy by the American government anyway.

And no worries, Muggum...we'll both be watching in my house. Unfortunately, once I watch one reality show episode, I'm usually oddly hooked...
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Oooohh, I hate to disagree with Fluff, my dear Ruben Studdard comrade-in-arms, but I LOVE JOE SCHMO! It is very funny. I initially was not going to watch it cuz it sounded only like another reality show pulling a stupid prank on a hapless person. But my fiance, who rarely watches reality shows, told me he loved it and thought it was funny. I checked it out and discovered the wonderful parodies, such as:

Breaking the plate in the fireplace, the "you're dead to us now" comment (hysterical).
    Matt recognizing the hooker after her top was off.
    Hutch's claim that he peed in the pool--and a sink.
    The king-size bed reserved for the marriage counselor, the war veteran and Matt.
    Matt earnestly wanting to compete better after loosing the ridiculous underwear contest.
    The board on which Gina wrote her impressions of each cast member.
    The host wearing the big-bird immunity robe.
    The super serious "scheming" between Gina and Matt.
    The marriage counselor blandly explaining why she's gotten divorced three times.
    Matt "outing" Kip in the beginning of the show.

I also think it is very possible that Matt is another actor in the show--partly cuz his bio sounds suspiciously like another parody (law-school-dropout-turned pizza deliveryman who lives with his parents). Also, his recognizing-the-hooker scene seems a little too convenient parody-wise to have been by chance. Anyway, if he is an actor, so much the better.

Here's what's brilliant about the show: It manages to be a great parody of a parody (the reality show genre). All reality shows are parodies in themselves, starting with the granddaddy "Survivor" and its rather absurd take on Machiavellian plotting, Shakespearean-offstage-technique of comments to the camera (audience) and the satirical, dopey tribal sessions complete with torches and hokey sets. The marriage shows are parodies of the dating scene. Even my beloved American Idol is a kind of parody of amateur talent shows (though I would argue American Idol doesn't really fit the reality TV genre)

And, as has been written extensively, reality shows are not particularly "real," given the manipulations of the producers of the non-actors. "Joe Schmo" is just shining a light on the manipulations and parodies them. So in one sense, Joe Schmo is the ultimate reality tv show.

Last edited by pillbeam; 09-09-2003 at 01:03 PM.

Not to harp on this subject, but terribly crappy shows that nobody watch have a real forum on this site. This show should have one too. I mean John, seriously, extreme makeover and race to the alter do not have the support that this has, give it a forum, it deserves it imo cuz the next few weeks are gonna be good! if not I still love the fort, just wish we could have a Schmo forum.

Closed Thread