+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Smoking

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Ah, thanks for the correction octobergirl, I had a sneaking feeling that I was in error somehow. I remember now - I saw the previews a kazillion times but never saw the movie.

Originally posted by Tuluminous
    I think it's been reported that Evan is into the gym, big time. It seems highly unlikely anyone with the dedication needed to maintain such a chiseled frame with body sculpting would smoke or date a smoker. A former smoker friend commented to me the other day how smoking is in this age of "body Nazism" popularly perceived as being "low class". It seems obvious that Evan is a social climber type

Around my last 2 gyms, you had to walk through a thick cloud of smoke at the door from people taking their last drag or lighting up one on the way out. Some of the people working hardest on the weights were the ones smoking the most. With women, so many keep smoking or start smoking as a diet aide.

With smoking (like so many other habits) you can't make a blanket statement, lots more people do it then you think, they just hide it now since it's considered less acceptable in some circles. I thought smoking was on the way out totally until I recently worked for six months selling lottery and cigerettes at a large store.....never realised how many people smoke and play the lottery.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

lol. wayner, that reminds me of a line from "spark" by none other than tori..."she's addicted to nicotine patches".

i am actually trying some kind of new cigarettes called "quest". they come in like 3 steps with step 3 being nicotine free. i really need to quit, but this probably sounds odd... i really enjoy it. and, i can't for the life of me figure out what people that don't smoke do with their hands while they drive??? lol

oh, and i have tried the wellbutrin (although not with the patches - because the insert said not to), but i couldn't take it because it made me have heart palpitations. which, i guess is a fairly common side effect for this drug.

as for joe, i really don't feel that he would be that "picky" about smoking. you could miss out on true love by not giving someone a chance based on smoking alone. i know. my husband thinks smoking is absolutely disgusting - but, we are together, and i don't think anything could ever seperate us. and, to be honest, he is the reason that i now want to quit smoking... but, not because he doesn't like it or doesn't want me to - but, because i want to have as much time with him as i possibly can. i don't want to give up our "forever" for a few hits on a cigarette. and, with his encouragement and support, i think that i just might be able to do this... it's just so hard!
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

Originally posted by broken_pryncess
    i can't for the life of me figure out what people that don't smoke do with their hands while they drive??? lol
    Are you serious? I thought everyone knew that we pick our nose.

In all seriousness BP, I admire you for trying to quit, and even more for your reasoning behind trying to do so; that is just tremendously sweet. I'm pulling for you!

thanks, wayner. and you know, i never knew. perhaps i could give that a try...
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

FORT Newbie
    BP, what is wellbutrin? Is that what "Smoke Away" is? Just being nosey.

no, it's actually a mild anti-depressant that helps curb your cravings to smoke.

Originally posted by broken_pryncess
    no, it's actually a mild anti-depressant that helps curb your cravings to smoke.
    I think I've gotten to the point where I need either (a) hypnotism or (b) the "Stephen King" method to quit smoking. Here, tell you what I mean:

Like a lot of kids, I went through a "rebellious" stage in high school--slinking around in black T-shirts, motorcycle leather jackets, and Dr Marten's boots. I started smoking and quit a week later. No big deal.

Then in college, I took an acting class where the character smoked. I did it just to "get in character," thinking that I could quit anytime. Yeah, fat chance there. Note: The acting teacher did NOT say I had to smoke. In fact, he never said anything about it. I just did it for the assignment.

I've smoked pretty much since that time...

So...

(a) Hypnotism: Call it my paranoia, but I think I would need somemone sitting in on the session if I were to undergo hypnotism. I don't want the hypnotist to plant some wacked-out CIA-assassin persona in me ala The Bourne Identity/John Doe/The Manchurian Candidate so that I quit smoking, but a week later when I'm in a restaurant and the waiter mouths off to me, I get up and stick a fork in his eye.

(b) The Stephen King: Any King fans here? I read an old short story of King's back in the days when he was still scary. The premise was that: Guy couldn't quit smoking so he went to a friend who quit cold-turkey. Friend told him to go see "Quitters Inc."--they'd get him to kick the habit 100%.

The deal is this: You pay Quitters Inc., and QI watches your every move. You don't know where their employees are, you don't know how or when they're watching you, but they are. Don't try to sneak a cigarette because they'll catch you. So the guy goes, "Yeah, whatever, I'll try anything once."

He thinks he's going to sneak one a few days later sitting in a traffic mess, and when he gets home, he finds that some guy in a raincoat walked up to his wife and smacked her around outside their house.

Here's the dilly-o: They don't hurt YOU for smoking; they hurt the ones you love.

One of the most frightening and funny stories I'd ever read!

phat, I'd totally forgotten the "Quitters, Inc" story - that was a great one!

I've been hypnotized before - at a nightclub in front of a whole group of people. The hypnotist (I think his name was Belante), put all the women on stage into a deeper trance, then told them that every time he said "Hypnosis" they would think that the guy next them had just pinched them on the butt. Some of the women got really mad, but the woman next to one guy said "If you want to go out with me just ask, you don't have to pinch me on the ass!"

I am a hypnotist. No hypnotist is going to make you do anything you don't want to do. Even if s/he tried, it wouldn't work. If hypnotists had that control, I could make people give me money, cars, whatever.

Hypnosis is the absolute best (percentage-wise) method to quit smoking. It's not at all close to 100%, but it's much higher than the patch, nicorette, and all the other programs out there. Plus, people don't have the withdrawal symptoms normally associated with it.

(I just can't help not getting into a discussion on hypnosis.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast