+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Smoking

Yes Wayner, I saw the irony in my statement.

T. I don't appreciate being called low class

Hardy from BB smoked and he worked out all the time
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by cali
    Yes, he did!

I did NOT call anyone LOW CLASS, cali! My friend, a former smoker made the comment. I have never smoked a cig--figure he would know. He was talking about a cultural shift. I left out the old movies part of our conversation, you know, Bogie and Bacall lighting up as on-screen idols. Figured it would be obvious, and CONDESCENDING, for me to attempt a historical narrative of smoking.

I only have watched a few episodes of BB, season 1 and 2. I don't know Hardy. And one exception does not make a rule/trend in popular culture. I have been extensively involved in working out and fitness. I have known of only 1, out of maybe 20, body builders that smoked, and this was a 50 something man, more like a weight lifter, not a body builder. In my opinion it's absurd to think that a guy who is going to go to the trouble of eating 4 doz egg whites and lettuce for lunch is going to smoke. These guys and gals care much too much for their bodies to do that.
    Last edited by Tuluminous; 01-21-2003 at 12:31 PM.

Well, just to add my two cents to the conversation, I quit smoking last March after smoking 2 - 3 packs a day for over thirty years. I was the only smoker at work and had a chronic cough, day and night. I had tried quitting many times but always cheated till I went back to it full time. I had become convinced that I was one of those people who couldn't quit.

My doctor wrote me a prescription for Welbutrin, a mild anti-depressant that has been found to be of particular help quell the cravings when quitting smoking. I took these pills for two weeks and then quit, using the patches as well. I am amazed at how easy it was this time. No cravings, no temptations. I have not cheated even once and it doesn't bother me to be around smokers. The other advantage Welbutrin has is that you don't gain weight while quitting! I gained not one pound! My son, daughter-in-law and two sisters have also quit using this method.

It's cold and rainy outside today and I don't have to go out into the cold and wind, standing stupidly outside my office, smoking. All by myself. I would highly recommend this combination of medication/patches to anyone.

That's all I know.

um, notice my laughing emoticon? Also, I didn't say YOU called me low class, said I didn't appreciate being called low class. No biggie T. Lighten up

Oh, the thread is about the JM girls who smoke anyway.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

There's another new quit-smoking pill out these days. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it just recently hit the market.

It's the first drug that actually reduces your nicotine addiction, so you can quit effectively. Something new.

John, that is interesting. Pretty soon there will be a pill for everything.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

The emoticon didn't register, cali.

The thread was begun by keving86, and in the first post he wrote,"Did anyone notice that in the preview for tonight's show they show Sarah smoking. Do you think this will have any effect on if she stays or not. ..." I was sharing my opinion about how Evan's body building ethic/sub-cultural ties would likely preclude him knowingly chosing a smoker. Makes sense to me--here on Mars.

Originally posted by cali

I never really thought of Hardy as being much of a smoker.
    To me anyway, he never really looked comfortable smoking.
    He probably worked out more in the house as there was nothing much else to do.
    If he is a smoker, for every "Hardy" who works out everyday, there are probably 10,000 smokers who struggle to get up a flight of stairs.

Congratualtions on quitting Punkin.
    Last edited by fluff; 01-21-2003 at 04:23 PM.

Yes, I forgot to add my congratulations...WTG, Punkin!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast