+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indy Star: Article on MoJo TV Jobs

Indy Star: Article on MoJo TV Jobs

'Mojo' hopes to turn 'Joe' to TV jobs

By Marc D. Allan

marc.allan@indystar.com

January 18, 2003

Let's start with the obvious: Melissa Jo "Mojo" Hunter won't answer many of your questions.

Like whether she won the heart of "Joe Millionaire" on Fox's hit reality show, which airs at 9 p.m. Mondays on WXIN .

Or how she reacted to learning that the man she and the other 19 contestants thought was worth $50 million is a $19,000-a-year construction worker.

Her response is simple: You'll find out in 30 days (or less), when the series ends. She has to keep that secret, even from family and friends.

What the 25-year-old Indianapolis resident -- one of five finalists -- can say is that she loved the experience and doesn't regret it for a minute. Oh, and by the way, she's not a gold digger who was after Evan Marriott ("Joe") for the money she thought he had.

"People need to get to know the true Mojo," she said by phone; "once they find out who I really am, they know I'm the farthest thing from a gold digger."

Hunter describes herself as "a city girl with a country heart," a graduate of Broad Ripple High School (1995) and IUPUI (2000) who was a loan officer when the show was taped and now works in commercial real estate. She declined to say where.

"I've worked hard for everything I have in life, and I've come a very long way," she said. "I'm the first person in my family to graduate from high school, let alone graduate from college with a triple major.

"I'm just getting my foot in the acting door, and I'm wanting to pursue that much further. I was single at the time of the show, and I was looking for love. That's what took me on the show. I got a trip to Paris" -- contestants weren't paid but received three weeks in Paris -- "something I probably would have never been able to do."

Because access to the "Joe Millionaire" contestants has been severely limited, the vacuum of information about her has been filled with speculation. She was listening to WNOU-FM (93.1) the morning after the show's Jan. 6 debut and heard a segment called "Mojo, Friend or Foe?"

"Some of my ex-friends were calling in and talking all this b.s.," she said. "One girl called in and said, 'She's just money-hungry. Anything free, that's Melissa Jo.' Well, you know what? That girl was not complaining when she was going out to bars with me and getting free drinks. I don't beg guys for free drinks. They just offer them to me. Why not accept? It's so funny. Those people just want their little two minutes on the radio, but they won't finish the whole story.

"It hurts that I can't call up the radio station and defend myself and say, 'That girl's lying. She's only talking (trash) because her boyfriend used to want to date me.' But . . . my skin's getting thicker, and I just think it's funny as hell now."

As for the caller who derided her for working at Hooters, Hunter said she worked there for two or three months to pay for college.

"I did what I had to do. I didn't have a rich mom and dad to pay my way through school or anything like that. I had to survive on my own. I was a waitress there, and a lot of the girls were p- - - - - off because I would get lots of the modeling and promotions, and I was only there two months."

Wank and O'Brien, WNOU's morning team, said they heard from the pro- and anti-Mojo camps. Their feeling? "I don't look down on those women at all," Dave O'Brien said. "I think they're having a good time, doing something they thought would be fun, and if anybody seriously thinks they're going to find their mate on a TV show, then they need some help."

Hunter said she applied for the show after a friend sent her an e-mail about the casting call. She had no idea "Joe Millionaire" would be as popular as it is (more than 18 million viewers last week; about 164,000 in central Indiana) or that she would have such a pivotal role.

She'd like to parlay "Joe" into an acting career. "I want to ride this wave as long and high as I can. I've done 'Charmed' and 'Son of the Beach' as extras, but this is . . . a seven-episode show."

Then, reverting to secrecy, she added: "I could be on every episode, or I could be booted next week. Who knows? You've gotta watch to find out."
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Just like Jerri Manthey did.

I'm curious to know why a production company would fly someone out to L.A. to be an extra on a TV show? I mean, there aren't a crapload of blonde bimbos in L.A. that would love to be "lady lying on beach" for an SOTB episode?

Extras are usually only paid like what, $100?

Sleeping with George W

Re: Indy Star: Article on MoJo TV Jobs

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
    "People need to get to know the true Mojo," she said by phone; "
    Um, what is she? The friggin' Queen?

"I'm just getting my foot in the acting door, and I'm wanting to pursue that much further.
    Then going on this show probably wasn't the brightest thing she ever did.
    "That's Numberwang!"

JR.
    Gee, she wants to be an actress, that's a surprise :rolleyes
    So much for the triple major.
    "they know I'm the farthest thing from a gold digger."

I am beginning to wonder if she already has some kind of publicist on the job.

Most all of the articles about the show are either about her, or prominently mention her. There have been better TV characters on the show already, but the focus seems to be on MoJo.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

lol_its_fun

Re: Indy Star: Article on MoJo TV Jobs

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
    I was single at the time of the show, and I was looking for love. That's what took me on the show.
    Hmmm " I was single "AT THE TIME OF THE SHOW".......Sounds like timing is everything

Also sounds like she might not be single now.

I got a trip to Paris" --- "something I probably would have never been able to do."

I thought she was supposed to be ambitious.
    Three weeks in Paris is not out of reach of someone with a triple major and a career in modelling and acting ahead of them is it?
    "That's Numberwang!"

She'd like to parlay "Joe" into an acting career. "I want to ride this wave as long and high as I can. I've done 'Charmed' and 'Son of the Beach' as extras, but this is . . . a seven-episode show."
    This strikes me as a very strange thing to say.
    It may be seven episodes, but it's seven episodes in which the producers of the show will want to show every bad quality they think she has while masking every good quality she undoubtedly has.
    I know this is a little more than standing in the background of a shot with a bikini on, but I really don't see this show as providing her with any kind of a leg up into acting.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast