+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fox's 'Joe' Blows Away American Music Awards

Fox's 'Joe' Blows Away American Music Awards

Fox's 'Joe' Blows Away American Music Awards
    Wed Jan 15, 2:12 AM ET

By Rick Kissell

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - "Joe Millionaire" was money once again for Fox on Monday, dominating its hour and contributing to the lowest-ever ratings for ABC's "American Music Awards."

According to Nielsen, "Joe" easily led at 9 in adults 18-49 (9.4 rating/21 share), adults 18-34 (10.9/26) and total viewers (17.53 million), down about 7% from its boffo bow of a week earlier. Combined with a rather tame score for "Boston Public (news - Y! TV)" (3.7/9 in 18-49), Fox won the night by most key measures.

The 30th "AMAs," hosted by the Osbournes, averaged a 5.7/13 in adults 18-49 for its three hours, a 22% slide from last year (when it aired on a Wednesday) and the lowest on record for the kudocast. Its overall average audience of 12.9 million is also an all-time low, off 19% from last year.

Most of the show's biggest winners -- including Eminem, the Dixie Chicks and Creed -- did not show up, likely contributing to the soft ratings. Having to face Fox's gigantic "Joe" couldn't have helped, either.

Still, ABC was a solid second on the night in most key demos.

NBC's "Fear Factor" won the opening hour in adults 18-49 (6.0/15) while "Crossing Jordan" (5.2/13) hit a season high for the second straight week and topped a repeat of CBS' "CSI: Miami" (4.3/10). NBC won the night in total viewers, edging out Fox.
    I have to say, I'm a little impressed that Joe only dropped 7% from last week. I expected the novelty to wear off.

The awards were pretty grim, imo.
    I watched the hours befre and after JM, but was pretty unimpressed.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread