+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Butler Says He Didn't Know

yeah, nothing really seems to add up here. i've never watched any of fox's other "reality" shows, so i'm wondering how does this one add up? i mean, is there usually this much wondering and guessing and trying to figure things out? this whole thing just seems kind of odd. do the other shows have that same feel?

oh, and thanks for the welcome, guys!
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

Fox has a way of doing reality shows half-assed. So, it's really a toss-up as to whether they're devious enough to have something up their sleeves, or just plain idiots.

I might believe it if he said he didnot know until the FIRST day of shooting. Mr. Hogan is not that naive.

Paul Hogan=Crocodile Dundee in my mind. Anyone else?
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I thought that the butler also made reference to the fact that they entire show was set-up, but as stated here, perhaps those comments were shot after the show. Seems likely.

As for him not suspecting anything while he was turning Evan into a man of culture, that doesn't surprise me. There are plenty of millionaires in the US that have no culture at all. Of course, most of them are professional baseball players.

And Feif, you aren't alone in your Dundee thoughts; I think Bill made reference to it in his recap. What? You haven't read it? Shame on you!

Ultra Concealed Lurker Invisigoth's Avatar
    But they could be setting it up to say

"Even with this Joe Shmoe who could not even pretend to be a millionaire very well, the money grubbing gold diggers were completely fooled by thier desire to get their hands on his money."

Or something like that.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Wayner
    [B]I thought that the butler also made reference to the fact that they entire show was set-up, but as stated here, perhaps those comments were shot after the show. Seems likely.

As for him not suspecting anything while he was turning Evan into a man of culture, that doesn't surprise me. There are plenty of millionaires in the US that have no culture at all. Of course, most of them are professional baseball players.

I agree wayner, I beleive after all was said and done, they sat the butler down to do the commentary afterwards. remember he is sitting by the fireplace with a nice brandy in his hand.

plus too, he probly was told that evan probly just got the money and need some training to mesh in with the high nose crowd. Kind of like eliasa doolittle in reverse

sunsiray
    OK, I'm going to weigh in with some firsthand experiences about English Butlers.

One of the dates I had with a wealthy Englishman was to Yorkshire, England. We stayed in an Estate Home (a little less than a castle). The place was about 400 years old and dripping with opulence. The stairways were so narrow you could barely get through them and the floors creaked everywhere you stepped.

The entire staff of the Estate was so stiff you had to check their pulses to see if they were alive. Competent to the utmost degree that it was sometimes sort of scary.

There was something I picked up on in the silverware training episode that I thought would have been rather important for Hogan to have taught Evan: in England, you have to place the service ware upside down on the plate to let the ever-lurking staff know you are finished with an entre. They appear in a flash to remove the plate and utensils. That may have happened and been edited by FOX TV, but I believe it would have appeared as a curiosity to the American public.

It's kind of difficult for me to imagine Paul Hogan coming out of a Butler registry, unless he was one of those jovial guys who really stood out and was accustomed to dealing with the nouveau riche.

And there's yet another thing: having been elbow-to-elbow with millions of Brits, Hogan does not sound British to me. At times I had a hard time understanding what the English were saying. That accent coming out of Hogan's mouth sounds faked.

IMHO, Paul Hogan is an actor playing the part - regardless of what is being released to the press.

I guess this Joe Millionaire show has so taken over the airwaves there will be a special 2-hour repeat on Thursday.

Well, being English, I'm telling everyone his accent is not from anywhere in the British Isles.

He might have been born in Britain but he has spent a lot of time in either Australia or New Zeland to end up with the accent he has.
    "That's Numberwang!"

sunsiray
    Fluff - you are right on target. I've not yet been to Australia, so I have no first-hand experience in listening (yes, I am also a trained musician and my ears are acute).

Thanks for offering support to what I am hearing in this "English" accent.

I can understand what he's saying, so I'm not sure about New Zealand.

But definitely Australia is a possibility.

Has Ducky seen commercials? She'd know, being from the land of Oz herself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast