+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Something's Fishy

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    No kidding Wolf and Cali! Any of the Combat Missions guys would have been better than this dude (though they all had more class than to be "Joe" on this show)....

I agree that there's something really wrong with this show...I have a feeling Fox is trying to pull a double whammy and we're all going to end up thinking it sucks.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I agree BF.
    Evan just doesn't seem genuine in any way to me.
    I'm just waiting for the big lie surprise to be sprung on us.
    "That's Numberwang!"

"dis"-comfort level

I thought it was just friggin' hilarious when he came galloping up on that horse, just about falling off first one side and then the other, and then couldn't quite mount up again, and then the poor put-upon beastie almost bucks him off as he gallops away again. Anyone who's ever even seen a horse before could tell that the guy had never been on one before, and yet the resounding agreement amongst the $$-struck "ladies" was that he handled that horse so darn well. I'm sure if a monkey had come trotting up in front of them they would have said the same thing about him; they probably would have just had to squint a little bit more to see how hand$ome he was. The same thing happened when they danced at the ball. the guy had 3 left feet, couldn't take his eyes off those size 14's long enought to see with whom he was dancing, and yet they were all agreeing that he was the next best thing to John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. I have never watched any reality TV show at all since these things started, and I am so hooked on Joe and these freakazoid women, that I will be there every excruciating episode til its done. At this point, I'm not quite sure whether to root for someone to win because I like 'em, or root for someone to win because I hate 'em (case in point Heidi...... she needs a huge wake up call). I guess we'll find out........

realityvirgin! welcome to the fort! nice first post! feel free to join in on all the conversations!

i'm rooting for heidi... as i dislike her and think her "winning" this blockhead would be just desserts.

also, if you're just starting with the reality tv shows, give The Bachelorette a shot. lots of eye candy and much better show imo than joe.

Oh lordy when I do something I usually do it all the way.....yes indeedy I watched The Bachelorette tonight. Maybe next I'll jump off a tall building! And ohmygod did I like checking out most of those guys. Think I've got myself a new 2-day a week bad habit? Who knows.... maybe i'll take the ultimate plunge and start watching Survivor....... or not.

Thanks for the welcome, and I'm sure I'll have at least a comment or 3 for next week. Nite all!

Welcome, RV. And as long as you're jumping headfirst into the reality pit, might I suggest that in February you give the best one a look - The Amazing Race?

You won't be sorry.

(sorry for the commercial interruption - now back to your regularly scheduled gold-digging show)

John re: the commercial interruption...

And don't forget that American Idol 2 starts in less than two weeks!

I think that dabbling with 2 addictions for now will probably do me just fine........

Otherwise how would I have ANY time at all to come here?? Thanks for the suggestions though, and maybe someday I'll get brave and try another....

and maybe another....

sort of sounds like drugs........hmmmmmmm

Griffe at Survivor Pheonix has posted this:

Beach native no millionaire, but he'll play one on Fox TV ~
    The Virginian-Pilot
    By EARL SWIFT

The latest of television's "reality'' shows has 20 comely young women competing for the attention of an obscenely rich bachelor. Or so they think. In fact, the title character in "Joe Millionaire,'' which airs on the Fox Network beginning Jan. 6, is a heavy-equipment operator, sometime male model and former military school cadet from Virginia Beach -- and, alas, merely a thousandaire.

Cementing the region's role as a breeding ground for players in such contest-dramas, 28-year-old Evan Marriott will pull a grand-scale bait-and-switch, wooing the bachelorettes on romantic dates in the French countryside, whittling the field to a sole "winner,'' then -- in the climactic seventh episode -- revealing the truth about his humble finances.

The network figures the show's audience will learn something of value in whether the final contestant ditches Marriott, or is commanded by true love.

That audience will be in on the scam throughout, and watch as Marriott -- whom Fox describes as "raised in humble surroundings with only limited financial security'' -- morphs, a la Eliza Doolittle, from rough-and-tumble construction worker to suave boulevardier before setting out to break 19 hearts.

But the Internet is already busy with folks who detect a rat, along with desperation, in the show's premise: postings on several Web sites speculate that the trick on the women is wrapped in another, bigger hoax, this one on the show's viewers.

Marriott isn't talking. "He's under a very heavy blanket,'' said his father, Robert H. Marriott III. "I don't think I'd call it `hiding,' exactly, but they want to move him to a gated community, and maybe they already have.''

"I really don't know how to reach him,'' said his mother, Charlotte Marriott, "because he's in and out and in between places.''

Born at Virginia Beach General Hospital, Marriott was raised in the city's comfortable Chelsea neighborhood and attended John B. Dey Elementary and Great Neck Middle schools. In the seventh grade he was enrolled in the Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., near Danville. He graduated in 1992.

Over the next seven years, Marriott split his time between construction jobs in Virginia Beach and modeling gigs in Paris, where he spent several months, and New York, where he worked with famed fashion photographer Bruce Weber.

He also modeled for Port Folio Weekly in Hampton Roads. "I rarely touch star power in this area,'' said local fashion consultant and writer Kim Wadsworth, who put together several photo spreads in which Marriott figured prominently, "but he's got it.''

Invited by New York contacts to pursue modeling in California, Marriott moved to the Los Angeles area in January 1999. He's worked mostly in construction since, his father said.

If the show is, in fact, saving a surprise for its viewers, it doesn't appear to be that predicted in a slew of Web postings: that Marriott really is a millionaire, which the show will reveal only after he announces that he's broke, and his prospective mate has had an opportunity to respond.

While his upbringing wasn't quite the log-cabin story Fox would have its viewers believe, it wasn't that of a rich kid, either: The Marriotts live in a house that's modest by the standards of its neighborhood. His father is vice president of Norfolk's Old Dominion Trust Co. His mother manages a Laskin Road linens boutique. Hank Marriott said they're a long way from millionaires, and as far as he knows, Evan's not one, either.

"There's nothing fancy about us,'' he said.

Whatever happens on the show, one of Marriott's Hargrave classmates figures he'll be up for it. "The role he'll be playing on the show fits his personality perfectly,'' said Kevin McKeon of Houston. "Evan was a big cut-up. He was always a practical joker.''
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    : You've got a great bunch of smilies over here!:

:pond:

Punkin, thanks for sharing. We already have that article posted, in the "Evan Marriott, aka Joe Millionaire" thread, though. In fact, it's been posted for about a month.

And thanks for the smilie-love! I have a bunch of new ones to add this week, too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast