+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is a Minnesotan hustling 'Joe Millionaire'?

Is a Minnesotan hustling 'Joe Millionaire'?

From the Star Tribune:

C.J.: Is a Minnesotan hustling 'Joe Millionaire'?
    C.J.
    Star Tribune

Published Jan. 3, 2003 CJ03

Prick up those ears for a Minnesota connection on the new unreality show "Joe Millionaire," which premieres Monday on FOX. Perhaps this is not all that shocking considering that O.J. Simpson (and one of those Menendez brothers?) found a Minnesota woman to be a particularly sympathetic listener.

Paula Weakly, an insurance company claims rep who lives in Brooklyn Park, tells me she was at a private birthday party at the Elk River Country Club in December, when she met a woman named Melissa (who goes by Mel). Mel is reportedly one of the women who may look like golddiggers while allegedly looking for love and marriage on FOX's newest reality show.

Weakly's failure to get a name, led to her being chided with Bad source, baaaaaaad source! "I know. I'm new at being a source. Bear with me," Weakly laughed. "I don't always believe what people say, and I watched the commercial [after meeting Mel], and she's in the commercial. They show her. She's got dark, curly hair. She's very cute. In the commercial they've got her like winking, and they make this ca-ching noise. It's really mean, but she laughed about it. I wonder if she's going to be laughing when she sees the show. It's all going to be edited to make these girls look terrible."

Whoever called these reality shows featuring women willing to parade around to land a man "Jackass for women" hit the nail on the head. But, I asked Weakly, whether FOX was taking the formula to nadir passing off the, albehim adorable, $19,000-a-year-construction-working Yeah Baby! as a multimillionaire. "Well, all those programs, 'Bachelor' and all of that, deceive people anyway. It's all in the editing," Weakly said.

Mel was reticent at the party, only telling Paula what we all know: It was shot in France. "I said [to Mel], 'Isn't this poor man going to get his feelings hurt if it turns out they are only in it for the money?' I said, 'He could really get hurt by this.' She made a face." The recollection of which caused this wonderful laugh to pour out of Weakly for a few seconds. "I think the face indicated to me that this poor man wasn't going to be hurt by too much."

Copyright 2003 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Very interesting. Is Weakly looking for her fifteen minutes here or what?
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

So Weakly basically knows no more than the rest of us
    "That's Numberwang!"

LG.
    I can tell you as a Twin Cities resident that CJ's "scoop" is about as insightful as Jackie Harvey's "The Outside Scoop" column in The Onion, but not as funny because it isn't satire. Not familiar with The Onion or Jackie Harvey, check out this link: http://www.theonion.com/onion3809/shame_on_you.html
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

...It's all going to be edited to make these girls look terrible.
    Is that even possible?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Originally posted by lurkinggirl
    I can tell you as a Twin Cities resident that CJ's "scoop" is about as insightful as Jackie Harvey's "The Outside Scoop" column in The Onion, but not as funny because it isn't satire. Not familiar with The Onion or Jackie Harvey, check out this link: http://www.theonion.com/onion3809/shame_on_you.html
    Excellent LG!
    Now we have a true insider scoop (you!)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

onetimer
    i know this mel.
    went to high school with her.
    ask me what you will.

I really liked her last night.
    I hope she's really as sweet as she appeared to be.
    "That's Numberwang!"

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Is this Mel M, the girl with the black curly hair and the smile that Evan loved?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Yep, that's her.

+ Reply to Thread