+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say It Isn't So, "Joe"

Say It Isn't So, "Joe"

Say it isn't so, 'Joe'
    Mon Dec 30, 7:18 AM ET

Who is worse, the woman who seeks out a rich man to fall in love with, or the poor man who seduces that woman with false claims to immense fortune? That's about as deep as the philosophical questions get on Joe Millionaire, the distasteful new reality show from Fox that debuts Jan. 6. It's not very deep. A liar always is worse than a gold digger; a lack of integrity always trumps a lack of self-respect.

The premise of this ''unscripted drama'' is simple. Fox persuaded a construction worker and part-time model who earns a reported $19,000 a year to pose as a ''dashing millionaire'' who has inherited $50 million. Then it invited 20 ''beautiful, smart and sophisticated'' women to visit him at a French chateau on the pretense that he is ''looking for a special someone to share his newfound wealth.'' In the end, the poser will choose one woman as the object of his affections. If she reciprocates, he must tell her the truth. Her reaction is the money shot.

Believing that anyone worth $50 million would actually look for a mate via TV pretty much betrays that ''smart, sophisticated'' line. But at least the women aren't kidding anyone. They are honest mercenaries. Fox, on the other hand, is using false pretenses to set up the women for humiliation, which is cruel. It is inviting viewers to watch the torture, which is pandering. And it is pretending to do all of this in the name of exploring human nature, which is baloney.

Fox reality-programming chief Mike Darnell told Reuters: ''In a way, we are ripping the mask off the people. We find out whether they're really doing this for love.'' But who could possibly be that naive? We know they aren't doing it for love, otherwise it wouldn't take $50 million to sucker them into getting spoony for a construction worker.

Assuming Fox has protected itself from possible lawsuits for deceit and slander, this show has only two credible outcomes. Either the deceived woman genuinely likes the guy and doesn't care, or she slaps his face for being a fraud and nearly indigent besides. Anything else is just more contrivance.

That isn't going to stop Fox, where voyeurism and romance-novel cheese prevail with pride. But it ought to stop viewers. Reality programming has provided some of the best in television (the first Survivor) and most of the very worst (Temptation Island, Chains of Love, The Anna Nicole Show).

Toss Joe Millionaire into the latter category and then toss it out the door. When it comes to setting bad examples, sex and violence have nothing on Joe and Fox.

Fox reality-programming chief Mike Darnell told Reuters: ''In a way, we are ripping the mask off the people. We find out whether they're really doing this for love.'' But who could possibly be that naive? We know they aren't doing it for love, otherwise it wouldn't take $50 million to sucker them into getting spoony for a construction worker.
    I agree.

I will watch the show as I won't be able to stop myself.
    If it really is sleeze I'll stop watching.
    Viewers switching off is the only thing that will prevent the networks from getting more extreme.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I won't be watching, just because I don't watch dating shows. But I think it's an interesting jab at other reality shows, most notably The Bachelor. But they're playing a cruel trick on the ladies at the expense of getting that jab.

What I think is REALLY funny is that both Fox and this production company have already played out this "he's not really as rich as he said he was" with Rick Rockwell - although it was unintentional that time.

Good point
    "That's Numberwang!"

Originally posted by John
    I won't be watching, just because I don't watch dating shows. But I think it's an interesting jab at other reality shows, most notably The Bachelor. But they're playing a cruel trick on the ladies at the expense of getting that jab.
    I agree.
    I think the people whpo have gone to the boards defending the ladies with their "they didn't know about any of this, it was just a free holiday" claims have done the ladies more harm than good at this stage.

I think once people have seen a few of the shows and see how often Joe has to lie to keep up the pretence they will probably be more in favour of the women.
    If any throw themselves at him, claiming undying love half-way through episode one, then give confessionals explainging how they intend to spend the $50m then they will rightly come in for some major criticism. Beyond that I can see myself feeling more sympathy for the women, particularly any that seem to exhibit genuine feelings for Joe and will later find out that he has lied to them over and over again.

Perhaps a bit argumentative here, but I think that the article creates a strawman argument when it says "A liar always is worse than a gold digger; a lack of integrity always trumps a lack of self-respect. "

I think that it is a little off base to say that gold-digging is a lack of self-respect issue. As if that behavior is almost explained away with a new-age excuse.

I think the lying will work both ways here, and that is far more the money shot of the program that this author claims.

Joe is hardly a bastion of integrity in all of this, no one would claim otherwise, but once again, we have here an attempt to excuse the women's behavior.

As per the norm, fluff said it best when she pointed out that we need to see how the women behave, especially those who go far, but I long since have past the point of having any sympathy for folks who knowingly signed up for a dating show.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Who is worse, the woman who seeks out a rich man to fall in love with, or the poor man who seduces that woman with false claims to immense fortune?
    I think both are equally bad. A liar and a gold-digger deserve each other. Okay, so there might be a handful of ladies that might not be gold-diggers, but they will be perceived as one in this kind of show.

Believing that anyone worth $50 million would actually look for a mate via TV pretty much betrays that ''smart, sophisticated'' line. But at least the women aren't kidding anyone. They are honest mercenaries.
    This quote best summarizes the ladies.

FORT Fanatic
    Ah, Bill has a point. Gold-digging IS lying - the gold-digger claims to love someone when in fact he/she only loves the money.

I think this show is just desserts for those women - kind of like the first Bachelor; look what *that* prize turned out to be! Yeach. Yet, they all chased that loser anyway! I'll never understand that. I haven't watched any other dating shows but I might just watch this one - at least the final episode anyway. I know that some people really love those kinds of shows, and to each their own, but I think they give women a really bad name and reinforce the stereotype of the single twentysomething desperate to avoid spinsterhood. They really don't do much to alleviate the slutty-sex-crazed-single-guy stereotype either, but I notice guys aren't up in arms about that

I agree Bill, there really isn't anything to choose between the liar and the gold-digger, they are as bad as each other.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast