+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EW Article on Joe Millionaire

EW Article on Joe Millionaire

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,4...razzes,00.html

===================

Funny Money

How ''Joe Millionaire'' razzes ''The Bachelor.'' As would-be brides compete for a fake fortune, the show's cocreator says he aims to give a new twist to reality TV

by Brian Hiatt

Call it unreality TV. ''Joe Millionaire,'' which debuts Jan. 6 on Fox, is a ''reality'' show based on an elaborate lie. On the program, 20 women travel to the French Riviera to compete for the hand of 28-year-old Evan Marriott, a handsome Romeo who recently inherited $50 million. But in the final episode, the women discover that Marriott hasn't inherited a dime and that he's a construction worker with no prospect of making more than $19,000 a year. According to the show's cocreator, Jean-Michel Michenaud, ''The question is, Can somebody really be loved for who they are, or just for what they appear to be?''

Such high-mindedness aside, the show may be a sign that it's getting harder to entice audiences with what are now reality-TV clichés. Michenaud acknowledges that ''Joe Millionaire'' is as much a commentary on such clichés as it is a reality show. ''How could we take reality concepts that are now so familiar to audiences and make them feel different?'' he asks. ''Here, it's the fact that the audience knows something that the cast doesn't. It's kind of a meta-reality show, because the real point of interest is watching how people are trying to present themselves on TV.''

''Joe Millionaire'''s producers hope that viewers will buy into the drama of the women's competition for Marriott -- as each episode ends with a ''Bachelor''-style elimination. But watching Marriott struggle to maintain the facade of a wealthy man is meant to be equally entertaining. ''It wasn't always easy for him,'' says Michenaud, ''especially as he was narrowing it down and getting closer and closer to the inevitable outcome.''

In the first episode, Marriott gets a style makeover, along with lessons in wine appreciation, horseback riding, and other high-income hobbies. Despite reports that Marriott periodically supplemented his construction income in the past with work as a fashion model, Michenaud says that the show's star is ''the real deal. He's a genuine guy who drives a bulldozer.''

If ''Joe Millionaire'' is a success, Marriott's real-life style may change. Though he wasn't paid a salary for ''Millionaire,'' he could end up with commercial endorsements or other gigs that would help him quit construction for good. Still, the chances of Marriott becoming an actual multimillionaire seem low -- unless he's offered a followup gig on ''Survivor.''
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I was shocked to read this sentence:

"Though he wasn't paid a salary for ''Millionaire,'' he could end up with commercial endorsements or other gigs that would help him quit construction for good..."

I think this is a little bit unbelievable. No salary? I am definately leaning toward Fox making him rich at the end.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

It will be interesting to see him struggle with this big lie as he gets attached to at least one of the last three or so girls. No doubt he will get burned in the end too.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Yeah, and further, if he comes across in a less than flattering manner... and I don't see how he will not come across that way... then he will find a harder time getting dates in the future than Rick Rockwell did...

I do not believe that he isn't going to be compensated.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    with no prospect of making more than $19,000 a year.
    Damn, what a slam! If I were him I'd be a bit peeved!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I think he musyt have gotten something.
    Unless he's a complete moron he must know this could have an impact on his life.
    He's almost certianly going to be branded as a sleeze by many women that he meets in future.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Newbie
    Here's something I just thought of.....These girls go off a couple at a time until we are left with one "winner." What kind of drama is that to reveal to the one girl that he isn't worth $50M. Don't you think they all would find out together?

I'm not sure what kind of curveball this could create but doesn't it seem lame to tell one girl at the end? And even worse, what are they going to do with the ones voted off? Mention it as they exit? "Oh by the way, he really isn't worth all that money." and they do a good-bye a la Survivor saying, I didn't care about the money anyway????

I would wager that they probably didn't tell the departing girls anything other than remember the terms of your contract, and we hope you had a good time in France.

They couldn't risk the surprise being blown.

Originally posted by fluff
    I think he musyt have gotten something.
    Oh don't worry fluff, if he did, I am sure they will show it with those night vision cameras and all the good parts filtered out...

Another article I posted a little while ago says that the departing girls were NOT told the truth about Joe...Only the one that he chooses at the end.

And $19,000 per year is $9.50 per hour. These days, you can almost flip burgers for that much (not that flipping burgers isn't a noble calling, but my point being that the article says he 'has no nope of ever making more than $19,000 per year.')

How can a construction worker not make more than nine-fifty?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast