+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Update on Evan/Zora/Sarah

Update on Evan/Zora/Sarah

This is from the Feb 2nd issue of People that has updates on all reality couples:

Evan: "I wasn't expecting to find love," says ex-construction worker Evan Marriott, 29, who went from Joe Schmo to B-movie actor and host of the Game Show Network's Fake-a-Date. In fact, he sasy, love won't come "until my life settles down, whether I get on a show or just fade away forever."

Zora: "Nice guy, just no connection," is how Zora Andrich, 31, sums up her time with Evan. The ex-teacher has used some of the $500,000 from Joe for an aunt's chemotherapy, to start a pet charity and open a clothing store in New Jersey. And romance? "I'm dating. I'm content in that area."

Sarah: Pegged as Joe's bad girl -- the one who appeared in foot-fetish and bondage films -- Sarah Kozer, 30, was reluctant to dip her toe into the dating pool. "I'd had my privacy invaded and I felt guarded," says the L.A. resident, who's writing a cookbook for single guys. So how ironic is it that four months ago she fell for E! correspondent Jason Feinberg, 34, after he quizzed her on the red carpet? Kozer's philosophy: "Any time you're in search of love, you're almost guaranteed not to find it."

It has a cute pic of Sarah and Jason.

FORT Newbie
    Anybody see this Evan interview????

Joe Millionaire was Joe Faker from the start
    Published January 27, 2004

HOLLYWOOD There's something the 43 million Americans who fell in love with Joe Millionaire ought to know: He was cheating on you. Not that this should be a surprise, inasmuch as the series was built on a lie.

Evan Marriott, the erstwhile $18,000-a-year construction worker who was tapped by Fox to fake being a multi-millionaire searching for a bride, now says he never had any intention of becoming seriously involved with one of the 20 gold-diggers in his TV harem. "They weren't bad girls, but people go their whole lives not ever finding the person who's right for them and their soul-mate. How was Fox going to put 20 girls in front of me and expect me to find one out of that?"

But what about the anguished pacing around his room as he sought to narrow the field?

"That was all staged," Marriott said.

Didn't he go into the woods with one of the women, with a strong implication that heavy petting, at the least, was taking place?

"Totally fake."

What about the sweet-nothing whispers and smooching sound effects?

"Totally fake."

The heart-tugging scene in which Marriott eventually selected Zora Andrich as "the one," a decision seen by more Americans than those who watched last year's Oscars, also was invented drama. "I had to pick one of the girls, so I figured I'd pick the nicest one there," Marriott said. Zora, a New Jersey schoolteacher who does a lot of charity work, was chosen over Sarah Kozer, whose resume included bondage and fetish films.

Marriott presented Andrich with a $25,000 ring, ostensibly a gesture that he wanted their relationship to proceed, which is how she interpreted it. "I would like to continue this journey and see where it goes," she said in the climactic scene.

It didn't go as far as their dressing-room doors. The morning after the finale, which had been taped months previously, Zora appeared on Live With Regis and Kelly. As soon as she came out, Regis did a double take, asking where the ring was. Zora startled him -- and probably millions of Americans -- with the news that the relationship ended as soon as the set lights went out. Asked if it had, in fact, ended without ever getting started, Marriott said, "Yes, it did."

One bar to an ongoing relationship, even if Marriott did connect with one of the women, was geography. He's wed to California. "None of them were worth me living here and them living wherever they did in America." (Zora is from New Jersey.) "If they all lived in L.A., I might have said, `Give me your number. Maybe we'll have a beer.'"

When told of Marriott's comments, Fox Entertainment President Gail Berman said she was unaware he was faking it. Perhaps to spare her network embarrassment, she challenged his version of events. "I think revisionist history is an interesting way of looking at things. I didn't know about any of the things he says, nor am I positive that he was `in that head' completely when he was there."

Fox sweetened the show but didn't invent scenes, she said. "We put in the [smooching] sound effects. You have to produce a show well. You do editing. You cut things around. But we don't say, `Go out and make out in the woods.' I would have to argue that point with him."

This isn't Quiz Show Scandals II. There is no indication anyone coached or influenced Marriott's decision and you can't force someone to love someone he doesn't. Still, the episode has a pungent aroma.

Representatives of date-and-mate series on competing networks say creating scenes is out of bounds. "Everything that happens on ABC shows actually happened. There's no staging," said Andrea Wong, the network's executive in charge of reality series, including The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. "When the viewer is watching a reality show, they expect to see the story as it unfolded. We might build a moment or emphasize it with music, but it's a moment that happened. Any love scene you see actually happened."

Stuart Krasnow, producer of NBC's Average Joe, sometimes wishes he had writers and that his players were actors: "It would be easier than to have cameramen following them around 24 hours a day." However, network rules don't allow this, he said. "We do go back to the editing room and create stories about everything that happened and take things out of context to create drama. But we don't make things up. I think viewers have a good sniff sense."

Krasnow could be right. America made Joe Millionaire II one of the biggest disasters of this season. It opened to fewer than 7 million viewers, then declined weekly.

Berman thinks fallout from Marriott's Joe Millionaire was a factor. "The public knew it wasn't a love story at the end. I think they didn't do a particularly good job of carrying out the fantasy."

Marriott thinks he did a great job. "I sold 40 million people."

The payoff has well exceeded the $500,000 apiece he and Zora received. Thanks to the publicity from the show, he said he has been hired to do commercials for KFC and Ragu, and made guest appearances on several sitcoms. It also led to his latest gig as host of (appropriately enough) Fake a Date, a new matchmaking series that will premiere in March on the Game Show Network.

"It's been fun, one hell of a ride," he said. Tens of millions of viewers were taken for quite a ride, too.

Tom Jicha can be reached at tjicha@sun-sentinel.com.

+ Reply to Thread