+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that Linda and David have reportedly gone their separate ways...

FORT Newbie

Now that Linda and David have reportedly gone their separate ways...

...do you suppose that any of the participants, given their backgrounds & personalities, would have at the very least dated David for awhile?

Was this a doomed experiment from the beginning, if nothing but for the cynical sake of TV ratings? Or is it possible that this might have worked with one of the women who were eliminated?

-kromike.

Quote Originally Posted by kromike
    ...do you suppose that any of the participants, given their backgrounds & personalities, would have at the very least dated David for awhile?

Was this a doomed experiment from the beginning, if nothing but for the cynical sake of TV ratings? Or is it possible that this might have worked with one of the women who were eliminated?

-kromike.
    I hope this doesn't sound awful but I would guess some of them would do whatever to get a green card. Not all. I don't believe everyone in the world is panting to get to the U.S. but a lot of people are. Everyone thought Linda was so sweet and honest and all but it turns out she just wanted a stepping stone to bigger and better things. After blathering on about loving the nature of the ranch, she toodled off to more exciting places, like L.A. and Vegas, and left David sitting in the pasture. I think she used David and the show to promote herself. That's no big deal except I think David was a bit more serious about this and may have been hurt. That's not right. It's too bad the whole thing is based on chicanery.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Haunted Lady
    I hope this doesn't sound awful but I would guess some of them would do whatever to get a green card. Not all. I don't believe everyone in the world is panting to get to the U.S. but a lot of people are. Everyone thought Linda was so sweet and honest and all but it turns out she just wanted a stepping stone to bigger and better things. After blathering on about loving the nature of the ranch, she toodled off to more exciting places, like L.A. and Vegas, and left David sitting in the pasture. I think she used David and the show to promote herself. That's no big deal except I think David was a bit more serious about this and may have been hurt. That's not right. It's too bad the whole thing is based on chicanery.
    Interesting. It's granted that the first JM also ended up in "Nowheresville, USA", at least the women participants were American women, so the cultural clash wasn't as "extreme".

So, JM2 was sold as kind of a tongue-in-cheek "Us vs. Them", where the joke was presumably on the educated, sophisticated women of Europe who had never heard of JM. But in the end, it seems as though the joke ended up working both ways, stinging David as well.

That said, does anyone think that it might (and I do stress "might") have worked with Anique, Petra, or Giada?

-kromike

FORT Newbie
    My thoughts were that Linda was sincere, but wanted to do something more with her life than live in Texas on the small farm. It would be nice to see if the can at least remain friends. I don't think we can blame it strictly on the culture, although they seemed to be genuinely happy together, once the euphoria wore off, the reality of what life held for each of them, if they stay together was not something that fit their personalities. David, although very athletic, is not a huge go-getter, Linda, on the other hand has been modeling since 15) , worked for the wireless company, went back to school, etc..

What I've read says that they are both nice people, and what we saw is apparently who they truly are. That does not mean that they were really meant for each other, time will tell.

Interesting. It's granted that the first JM also ended up in "Nowheresville, USA", at least the women participants were American women, so the cultural clash wasn't as "extreme".

So, JM2 was sold as kind of a tongue-in-cheek "Us vs. Them", where the joke was presumably on the educated, sophisticated women of Europe who had never heard of JM. But in the end, it seems as though the joke ended up working both ways, stinging David as well.

That said, does anyone think that it might (and I do stress "might") have worked with Anique, Petra, or Giada?

-kromike
    Out of all the women, I think Petra would be most likely to handle life on a farm/ranch without much problem. I think she said something about having lived in the country or worked on a farm or some such thing. The others were more urban and I think it would have been more difficult for them to adjust. They could have done it but not as easily as Petra.

FORT Newbie
    Out of all the women, I think Petra would be most likely to handle life on a farm/ranch without much problem. I think she said something about having lived in the country or worked on a farm or some such thing. The others were more urban and I think it would have been more difficult for them to adjust. They could have done it but not as easily as Petra.
    Hmmm. I could picture Olinda in pigtails skipping happily every morning to the barn with a couple of milk pails, ala "The Simple Life".

Hmmm. I could picture Olinda in pigtails skipping happily every morning to the barn with a couple of milk pails, ala "The Simple Life".
    Sure, if the milk pails are diamond studded.

FORT Newbie
    Sure, if the milk pails are diamond studded.
    Heh. Olinda could probably intimidate a pissed-off bull. I wonder if she auditioned for that new Brad Pitt movie, "Troy". She seems like a natural.

What's mildly ironic is that despite the women's general dismissal of the cowbow culture, I found that most of them looked really great in western clothes.

-kromike.

I think even Petra was more open to accepting David's religiousness. I think I remember her actually participating in grace one time.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow

I think even Petra was more open to accepting David's religiousness. I think I remember her actually participating in grace one time.
    Interesting. In a separate thread in another forum, the same question was generally asked. When it came to Petra, one poster felt that Petra was NOT a good match due to her "I am a princess" remarks (I forget the exact statement off-hand).

I tend to disagree with that assessment and agree more with yours. Petra seemed genuinely down-to-earth and relaxed with herself. It seems that she could have been best equipped of all the women to make the cultural adjustment to life on a ranch. But Austin is not some sleepy hick town; there's a very strong college atmosphere, so Petra could easily tapped into the night life. I could picture her hitting the honky-tonk bars and doing the Texas two-step in jeans and cowboy boots.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast