+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe's Ranch and Texas

FORT Newbie

Joe's Ranch and Texas

I'm a transplanted Texan and I wanted to make a few comments:

Several people have wondered about the ranch, where it is, what it's worth, and how he could afford taxes, etc. I cannot give exact figures here b/c I have not actually looked-up the deed but I can provide an informed answer. First of all, the ranch is not in Austin itself. For those not from Texas, we're not all a bunch of backward farmers. Cities like Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc. don't have ranches in them!! They have glass office buildings, airports, factories, freeways.....even Starbucks! Now, Austin is at the edge of an escarpment, with the Hill Country to the west and rolling plains to the east. I know the area pretty well and I can tell you this Ranch is not in the Hill Country. It looks very much like the area about an hour east of Austin - near LaGrange a Brenham, or even Gonzales further south. David is from Bellville which is 50mi west of Houston. I don't think it's that far east, but it makes sense for the ranch to be not too far away from home. I've looked at some land in the area and the ranch with 90 acres and house probably was around $500K-$750K. If it had been up in the Hill Country west of Austin you are talking more like $2-3 million for that amount of land.

As far as paying the taxes, etc. that will be easy. As long as he can make it a working ranch, he will get HUGE tax breaks from the government. Any knowledgable accountant will be able to make the numbers work for him.

Finally, back to something I alluded to in my first paragrapgh. One of the girls in an early episode (I think the other Swede, not Olinda) remarked that she imagined living in Texas in a "small village" and I think Olinda said she would never get to shop or get her Starbuck's. I'm sure that's the perception of Texas in Europe -- which is very odd since they all seem to watch Dallas, and the whole opening theme is nothing but shots of downtown -- anyway, I digress. It seems like a lot of people from all over the US think the same of Texas and I have to admit David didn't do us any favors. There is indeed a large rural population in Texas with ranches, farmers, and SOME cowboys with a Texas drawl. There's also a large rural pupulation in California and Illinios too, but that doens't mean people from LA and Chicago are backward. The fact is that 3/4 of Texans live in a major city that's just as modern and sophisticated as a major city on either coast. My point here is that if he had chosen Olinda, she'd be in heaven going to the Galleria (or any of the other 20 malls) in Houston or Dallas. If he had chosen Cat, the music scene in Austin is way ahead of most any other place in North America. And as for Linda - I'm not too sure what she's interested in but she won't be too far from Houston, Austin, or San Antonio to get her "city fix".

Anyway, just wanted to pass along the info. and I hope David and Linda are happy!

For those not from Texas, we're not all a bunch of backward farmers
    Oh, you are too...Y'all can't fool us, dadgumit!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jms1973
    I'm a transplanted Texan and I wanted to make a few comments:

to the site, and thanks for the information!!!

I have travelled through Texas, and I liked alot of it. No matter what state you travel through, there are rural areas all over.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

One of the girls in an early episode (I think the other Swede, not Olinda) remarked that she imagined living in Texas in a "small village" and I think Olinda said she would never get to shop or get her Starbuck's. Anyway, just wanted to pass along the info. and I hope David and Linda are happy!
    That was Lina. At the ball she asked Linda, "doesn't it scare you that he doesn't have any neighbors? I asked him, what no Starbucks?"

I hope they are happy too!

FORT Regular
    Property taxes shouldn’t be much. He’s outside of any city limits, and if he keeps cattle on it should receive a break there.

Hey JMS - I'm from Gonzales and...

it's funny - didn't even occur to me to think it might be near there. (We're in Houston now). I pondered with my husband whether it might be near Kyle or Buda, in between Austin and San Marcos. Beautiful country either way!

It seemed fairly hilly (rolling hills) but did you notice when he first got there and was dropped off, looked like you could see interstate in the background. (Think I saw some cars/big trucks going by). Could be off of I-10 somewhere. I remember thinking "what kind of retreat/ranch is right off of the interstate?"

Oh well..just had to pipe up since I saw a post from another friendly Texan. You hit the nail on the head talking about how folks think we all wear 10-gallon hats and have tumbleweeds blowing down our streets. (Of course, that accurately describes a BUNCH of small towns near where I grew up).

TTFN

Lucy

I've looked at some land in the area and the ranch with 90 acres and house probably was around $500K-$750K. If it had been up in the Hill Country west of Austin you are talking more like $2-3 million for that amount of land.
    So David gets a property valued at somewhere between $500K to $3 million, and Linda gets a measly $250K?

Doesn't seem fair somehow. After all, last year's winners split a million bucks 50/50.

I have some friends in Dallas and Houston and have visited them several times. I like Dallas more than Houston, but I'm always glad when I leave so I can escape the big city(s) and return to my (relatively) small village here on the Left Coast.
    Last edited by Captain America; 11-25-2003 at 04:15 PM.

Questions. Linda is not a U.S. Citizen, so does she have to pay taxes on the money? How much is it in Czech dollars?

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGal
    How much is it in Czech dollars?
    Appx. 30 Czech Korunas to 1 USD right now, so that's 7.5 million Korunas.

I have no idea what that would buy there, but I'm guessing it's a good chunk of change.

-Randy (no idea about US Fed taxes)

FORT Newbie

Ranch Location and Price

Hello LU fellow Texan:

I see you're from The Woodlands. I bet your out-of-state visitors are pretty shocked when they come to visit! I lived in Houston for a year and almost built a house out there - nice area. We are in Frisco (Dallas) now. Anyway....

I noticed that too. I have been on I-10 several times and the scenery on David's ranch is identical to the area along I-10 from Columbus to Luling. It's also very much like 290 from Bastrop to Brenham and Hwy. 71 from Columbus to Bastrop. There is this distinct area west of Houston where there are lush rolling hills and big Live Oak trees, and once I saw it I knew exactly where this region was. It reminds me a lot of North Central Florida the way it once was.

Once you get into the Hill Country the scenery is much different - higher hills, cedar, rocky soil, prickly-pear cactus, the Live Oaks have a different look to them, etc. It's a very distinct difference.

As for the price, Captain America, I don't think the ranch was more than $750K, maybe, maybe $1 million max. Just to clarify, this ranch was NOT located in the Hill Country west of Austin and therefore would not command a price in the $2-$3 million range (unless the house we saw was just a guest house, but I don't think so...). That said, it looks like Fox dished-out about a million bucks between the two of them, which is what they did for Evan and Zora, they just divided it up differently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast