+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox Chief Says Second 'Joe' Was Greedy

Fox Chief Says Second 'Joe' Was Greedy

From AP

Mon Nov 24, 3:52 PM ET

NEW YORK - A top Fox executive acknowledged Monday that "we got greedy" in ordering a second edition of "Joe Millionaire."

In nine months, the show has gone from one of TV's most surprising successes to the new season's most spectacular flameout. The final episode of its second season was to air Monday.

"Our instincts told us from the very beginning that `Joe Millionaire' was a one-time stunt and I think we got greedy," Sandy Grushow, Fox television entertainment chairman, said on Monday.

About 40 million people watched in February when hunky Evan Marriott revealed to the woman he picked that he really wasn't the millionaire. The series as a whole drew an average of nearly 23 million viewers.

Some critics doubted that the show's concept would bear repeating, but Grushow said in February, "we're obviously optimistic that it will perform extremely well when it returns."

But despite moving the show's setting to Europe to find gullible women, audiences have yawned. This season, the series has averaged 6.5 million viewers (ranked No. 85 for the season), with 5.4 million tuning in last week, according to Nielsen Media Research.

"We tried to sneak it by the American public a second time and we got called on it," Grushow said.
    "That's Numberwang!"

How about that for a misleading title?
    Anyone else think the article was going to be about David being greedy?

I think the exec is right though.
    Although I loved the ending for this series, I do think the concept was really a one off.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Yep, I thought too that David had turned greedy for some unexplainable reason

I agree with you Fluff, ending was great, but otherwise it was not so good to watch. Mostly because the concept really did not bear to be repeted. Maybe it is these dating shows where the whole concept is to trick and make contestants look absolutely ridiculous, that can only make one season. Examples are Joe Millionaire, For Love Or Money, and Average Joe. Hopefully with Average Joe they have enough sense to not make AJ 2. (Paradise Hotel I can see being in summer programming in the future. It is not 'looking for love' programming, it is just fooling around...)
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    The girls were the difference. For the most part they seemed way too sophisticated to play along with the reality TV gig. The main show was a snore , but you have to love the ending.

I had to read the article with that title. there is no way I could see David as greedy , and was wondering what's up?

FORT Fan
    Yes, I thought they were going to say David was greedy, which I found hard to believe. When Paul said to him, "David, we told you that you would not earn any money from this" David responded "Yes, sir" in such a way that he just didn't strike me as greedy.

Lynne

It could have worked. David just didnt have the broad appeal as Evan. Bad casting, IMO.

I guess I'm very much in the minority here. I thought the European girls were FAR more entertaining and interesting than the American girls. I also liked David more than Evan. He seemed more down to earth. And I loved the cheesy, made-for-TV ending, even though I know I was being manipulated by FOX.

Mark
    Not laughing, just rolling on the floor!

on vacation
    I thought that David wasn't exactly a draw, but I'm sorry if I'm the only one, but I never thought Evan was that great either. And now seeing him after the show, me thinks me right. I think the other problem with the show was in order for it to work they had to go abroad. A lot of people don't understand how different European's are either. Probably not a great idea to have a sequel but their casting was more of the reason than the premise of the show.

I preferred the Euro women as well, but David was a square peg. Ah well, it appears we have seen the last of the JMs...bring on P-Ho Part 2, FOX!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne
    Yes, I thought they were going to say David was greedy, which I found hard to believe. When Paul said to him, "David, we told you that you would not earn any money from this" David responded "Yes, sir" in such a way that he just didn't strike me as greedy.
    I thought that was a very telling line about how obediant David is.

But did they announce this restriction before? Was everyone else aware that he wouldn't get any money? I figured he would get the same deal as JM1.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast