+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David and Linda - what's next?

David and Linda - what's next?

Since it's after 1AM I'm gonna post this and hope it's not removed...
    I do not know if David and Linda are infact still together or not, but there is a big chance that they are not. For those who are not familiar with how "US/the rest of the world" relationships work in real life (i.e. not in a FOX fairy tale) let me give you some interesting insight :

--- Every time Linda wants to come to the US to see David she needs to get a visitor visa, since Chech Rep. is not in the visa waiver program.

--- Assuming she has a bf (fiance?) in the US, there is a BIG chance she will not even get the visa. Or she can be refused entry to the US by an immigration officer at the border, because they are very careful in letting people in who might have the intent to immigrate (i.e. marry).

--- If she is indeed allowed to enter the country, she will only be allowed to stay for 3 months at a time, and then every time go through the same process again (becoming more and more suspicious in the eyes of the US immigration due to the more frequent visits).

--- If at some point they decide they want to get married they cannot marry on a visitor visa because it would be regarded as visa fraud. Anybody who enters the US with the intent of getting married without the appropriate immigrant visa in hand is in big trouble with the INS (i.e. deportation trouble).

--- The only way they could do it would be:
    1. option: David petitions for Linda's fiancee visa, which takes from 6 to 8 months to process through the Texas service center. Linda then needs to get a full medical exam, an interview at the embassy and has to submit her police records and a bunch of other docs. Hopefully she never got in trouble for smoking pot in highschool! After that she goes to the US and has 3 months time to marry David. If they do not marry she is required to return to her country.
    2. option: They get married abroad or in the US, but Linda HAS to return to her home country, so that David can petition for her spousal visa, which takes anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to process. Similar to the previous procedure...... She then moves to the US after receiving the visa.

--- This relationship will cost them A LOT of money: plane tickets (about $1000 for a round trip), phone bills... visas $50 to $200 each, the whole immigration process estimated to $1000 and over in forms only, plus an immigration attorney (more $$$).

--- To be able to EVEN GET a fiancee/spousal visa, and later on apply for her legal status in the US, David has to meet certain income requirements to sponsor his fiancee/wife. Hopefully he makes enough money as a cowboy???

--- After Linda moves to the US and they are married it will take months for her to receive Employment authorization and Advance parole that will enable her to travel outside of the US. It will take about 2 years before she receives her conditional green card, and 2 more years for her to receive her 10 year green card. It will take 5+ years before she can apply for citizenship and 2+ years before the application is processed.

That is just a very short version of how things work of course, assuming that everything goes perfectly smooth (hahaha, yeah right!)... Sounds like fun, huh?

... Least but not last, after a couple of months of honeymoon their marriage will be under great pressure due to her dealing with culture shock and not being able to fulfill her individual goals, as she will sacrifice her interesting life as a model to be a cowboy's wife. David seems to be very conservative, so her unsatisfaction will grow, due to the fact that her life will become limited to cleaning, cooking, taking care of her husband and watching reality TV.
    Last edited by Cindirella; 11-25-2003 at 01:44 AM.

Hopefully Fox will help them cut thru the red tape, they did get her to the ranch on time for the show.

Because we ALL know that Fox is all about "giving"! :-)

FORT Newbie
    Fox could have just "hired" Linda and gotten her into the country. She might have a temporary work visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen
    Hopefully Fox will help them cut thru the red tape, they did get her to the ranch on time for the show.
    They might have done it for the sake of the show. But after that do you really think they would deal with their sh** for nothing? LOL I don't think so.
    Last edited by John; 11-25-2003 at 08:51 AM.

ONLY if they saw a 3 hour TV wedding in their back pockets, depending of course on how the pink affair ratings do

i'm in the middle of what they're facing now. (assuming for the purposes of discussion that they plan to face anything and fox didn't get her a work visa blah blah blah) my fiancee is german. it took us 6 months to get our petition for fiancee visa approved (and what better package could they have than a damn reality show?) and we are now waiting on my fiancee's interview for his visa. the financial requirements are surprisingly low - according to the paperwork you must make 125% of the poverty level for the size of your new household (in their case a household size of 2) which is about $15,000. plus the ranch helps his net worth which counts if you don't have the income. if we get my fiancee's visa on the time schedule it appears we will get it on, it will have taken a total of 8 months, no attourney required (hopefully). it's not fun, it's not easy and it isn't cheap but it isn't like it's an arranged marriage and she's from iraq or something. she probably wouldn't have trouble getting a visa and he could visit her as often as he could afford it to make the separation easier. also the internet makes phone bills WAY cheaper

eny
    FORT Fogey
    There is one very important thing you forgot. Money and influence cut through all of this . They welcome people with open arms and easy visas with cash in the bank. That's why sports figures never have any problems with these mundane sort of things, getting the right paperwork in days instead of months

true story. alternately, they could pause in california, get her a driver's license as an illegal alien, use it elsewhere to get semi-legal paperwork and go around the whole mess

It does not always take that horribly long to get fiancee VISAs approved. My VISA took so short time I did not dare to tell the customs when entering US because the customs person seemed so keen on months upon months of waiting being standard. Sometimes you are the right place at the right time with all the right stuff. And Linda's check is very much the "right stuff".
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast