+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olinda's Gesture

FORT Fogey

Olinda's Gesture

I apologize if this was addressed in another thread and that I didnt see it, but;

Does anyone know the meaning behind that gesture that Olinda used to make all the time? It was the gesture where she stuck her pinky out at the corner of her lip and made a twisting motion.

The gesture was usually made when she was saying some disparaging remark about someone - usually Cat.

I noticed that Petra made the same gesture in last nights episode and I wasnt sure if it was some sort of European equivalant of flipping someone the middle finger or if she was doing it as a tribute gesture to the departed Olinda.

Anyone know what the gesture means?

Thanks

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    I apologize if this was addressed in another thread and that I didnt see it, but;

Does anyone know the meaning behind that gesture that Olinda used to make all the time? It was the gesture where she stuck her pinky out at the corner of her lip and made a twisting motion.

The gesture was usually made when she was saying some disparaging remark about someone - usually Cat.

I noticed that Petra made the same gesture in last nights episode and I wasnt sure if it was some sort of European equivalant of flipping someone the middle finger or if she was doing it as a tribute gesture to the departed Olinda.

Anyone know what the gesture means?

Thanks
    I dont remember Olinda making the gesture. I did see Petra use it last night and thought she was mimicking Dr. Evil in Austin Powers, he did that all the time.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by THINBOUND
    I dont remember Olinda making the gesture. I did see Petra use it last night and thought she was mimicking Dr. Evil in Austin Powers, he did that all the time.
    YES! That is the gesture. Thank you Thinbound. I forgot about Dr. Evil also making that gesture.

Olinda made the gesture probably 5 or 7 times throughout the series.

I kinda took it to be a fake crying/tears running down the cheeks kinda thing. I missed it last night. I only got to see the last 45 minutes or so, but then again, I may have just not seen Petra do it.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    YES! That is the gesture. Thank you Thinbound. I forgot about Dr. Evil also making that gesture.

Olinda made the gesture probably 5 or 7 times throughout the series.
    Anique even used it once yesterday on her date with David.

I do those "inside jokes" with my friends too, but after quoting some lines or doing some movie gestures 3 or 4 times, we usually all agree that the joke is tired and should be put to rest.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaius
    Anique even used it once yesterday on her date with David.
    I didnt catch Anique use it. So that is at least three girls that used the gesture, Olinda (repeatedly), Petra and Anique. So maybe it was some sort of inside joke between the girls that they developed off camera during down time at the villa. Strange tho that both Petra and Anique would use the gesture while on dates with David (that is also were I saw Petra make the gesture) unless David knew its meaning too.

Are these spots becoming? chompstick's Avatar
    Um, I never saw any of the Austin Powers movies. What did it mean when Dr. Evil did it?

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    its gotta be an Austin Powers thing- he always held his pinky to his mouth when talking about "ONE MILLION Dollars" muhuwahaha

of course i'm not from Europe and i do know they have weird customs over there (for instance- try greeting someone in the middle east with your left hand, a wave or a hand shake... real bad! thats the wipe hand)

FORT Regular
    It is universal for "Boo Hoo" in a sarcastic manner.

Theory on the pinky-twist gesture:
    In a lot of old movies, with "cute little girls" like Shirley Temple or Margaret O'Brien, etc, the moppet will do that. Kind of stick the pinky in a dimple, and tilt one's head so the eyes peek out shyly below eyelashes.
    Sickening to see adults do it though!
    Et in Arcadia Ego

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast