+ Reply to Thread

Thread: David's Crocodile Tears?

FORT Fogey

David's Crocodile Tears?

Towards the end of last night's (11/17) second episode, I had a very, very strong sense of Deja-vu.

David's sudden realization that "the weight of the lie" was weighing heavy on his conscience and that "he couldn't sleep", "tossed and turned", had trouble eating etc., was just a little too similar to Evan "Einstein" Marriott's same realizations towards the end of last season. Right down to the "summoning of the producer" to discuss his woes and worries that he "couldn't go on".

In fact, I bet that if you checked the log of last season's episodes versus this seasons, you will probably find that "Joes" meltdown of karma probably came in the exact same episode number or one off at the very most in both seasons I and II.

Evan's acting was so bad and understated that we were simply treated to a scene of him lying in bed with his arms folded behind his head, you could almost hear him thinking out loud "how long do I have to sit this way for them to get a good enough shot of my battle of conscience"? The we see Evan talking to the producer..."I um, I don't know, I am like really upset with myself or something...um...and I um...maybe I dont know if I can go on or something...the lie I am telling is like, um, really bothering me or something..."

David on the other hand, chose the other end of the acting spectrum and was chewing up the scenery with his meltdown and really laying in on thick, overacting more grandois than any soap opera diva - complete with face in hands crocodile tears and rather efeminate babbling.

Many of us have agreed all along that David is a pretty nice guy, fairly normal and seems to be genuinely enjoying all of this and having a good time and is in his best element simply being himself. However, we all also agree that David is a horrible liar and has very telling body language when he is doing so and appears very uncomfortable when asked to be anyone other that David. David was lying like a rug last night with the whole meltdown sequence and I felt it was obviously a staged sequence because the show had reached that particular mile-marker.

Then again, I am sure that there are many viewers out there that feel that I am way off base and that David's meltdown was completely sincere and completely a coincidence - albeit a nearly verbatim coincidence in dialog, content and timing - to Evan's.

I happen to feel David's meltdown was a scripted scam. And to me that is OK, to a point. I am well aware that many "Reality TV" shows have string pulling and some scripted developements, and I watch them anyway for entertainment value. I just dont like having my intelligence isulted. They could have done a better job of differentiating David's crisis of conscience to Evan's.
    Last edited by Daddio; 11-18-2003 at 10:25 AM.

I agree with you Daddio, I didn't think about the "crying game" intil I read your post... but now that I think back, I remember saying to myself (and imitating him) that he was blubbering a bit too hard.

Yea, he faked! Poorly at that.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Who was that sitting in the chair in David's room while he was ranting?

It didn't look like Paul. Maybe the same producer that "comforted" Evan.

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick

I was thinking the same thing.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick

Yep, that was the dead give-away for me. The fact that - just like Evan in the second to last episode - David "summoned" the producer in the middle of the night to whine about how much his conscience was getting to him and that he wondered if he would be able to continue or not. The exact same scenario as in Joe Mill I and likely in the same episode number - last episode before the big two hour finale.

I think it's more than a coincidence that this breakdown mirrors Evans.

However, I think David was baited. I can imagine a producer calling David down to discuss his decision and goading him about the lie and playing with their feelings and all that other stuff. He almost seemed angry with whoever he was talking to.

David seems to like the two girls left more than Evan cared about Sarah or Zora.

Of course, I like David so I'm not exactly impartial.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Oh, almost forgot... holy bleeps batman!!! David sure didn't hold back with the swearing though!! The whole crying scene was ...
    Maybe he wasn't swearing that much and the producers wanted it to look worse then it was so they thought to throw in a whole bunch of 's. LOL

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Maybe he wasn't swearing that much and the producers wanted it to look worse then it was so they thought to throw in a whole bunch of 's. LOL
    Did you ever notice how they do that a LOT on the Jerry Springer show? (as if there wasnt enough swearing without any unnessesary BLEEPS)...I mean jeepers....with as many BLEEPS as they have on the springer show its sometimes impossible to follow what's being said.

Re: David's BLEEPS, I noticed that too Maveno and I wasn't sure if they were bleeping out swearing or if David was saying some sensative information that the producers didnt want broadcast, either spoilers, or naming names of producers, crew, complaining that they were baiting him, things like that. Interesting that it could be either or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Oh, almost forgot... holy bleeps batman!!! David sure didn't hold back with the swearing though!! The whole crying scene was ...

I honestly believe he was in turmoil. I get the feeling that David has actual feeling for these women, which isn't wise considering it's a game built on lies and deceit. I was a bit surprised to hear him talk about the future in regards to the ladies. For example he mentioned "not being able to see himself with Olinda long term" and that "Lina would never live on a ranch". Evan never talked about having a future with any of his ladies and was only interested in whether the ladies liked him for him or for his "money". Someone forgot to tell David not to get emotional involved, hence the Linda and Cat fiascos.

Quote Originally Posted by NYGal
    ISomeone forgot to tell David not to get emotional involved, hence the Linda and Cat fiascos.
    I don't think his "emotions" have anything to do with Cat's involvement. I think she's pushing all his proverbial buttons! She told the girls that he kissed her that first time when it was clear she went in for the kill first. She's very aggressive with him on their dates and flirtatious to the point I keep expecting Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" start in the background.

+ Reply to Thread