+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bye, Bye Olinda - Finally

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    While I would never make fun of someone praying before a meal, it is kind of weird. I'm European, and the only people I've met that prays before meals are Americans. It can really catch you off guard if you don't expect it, and it's hard to figure out what the right attitude is. Olinda tried a joke, which was inapropriate. I usually try to get in the spirit of things by being quiet and grateful for the meal that is served, but I don't pray since I am an atheist, and I find mixing religion with food somehow inapropriate, but to each his own.
    I feel the same way. I come from a country where the majority of people is catholic, and yet my first experience of "praying before a meal" was when I came to the US. It felt kinda weird to me. But then again, we don't have "thanksgiving" in Europe either...
    Back home the only people I thanked for the good food were my mom and my grandma. I guess that's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow
    My understanding of cow-tipping is that it would probably hurt the animal...haven't done it so have no first hand experience with it.
    My husband is from a rural area and has informed me that cow-tipping can indeed hurt the cow...apparently it could suffer head injuries or break its legs. It seems it's hysterically funny if you're sixteen and roaring around in a pickup while drinking with your buddies, but for obvious reasons it's not terribly amusing to a farmer. Hence David's "what, do you kick puppies too?" look at Krystyna when she giggled while relating this little story...
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    My husband is from a rural area and has informed me that cow-tipping can indeed hurt the cow...apparently it could suffer head injuries or break its legs. It seems it's hysterically funny if you're sixteen and roaring around in a pickup while drinking with your buddies, but for obvious reasons it's not terribly amusing to a farmer. Hence David's "what, do you kick puppies too?" look at Krystyna when she giggled while relating this little story...
    Thanks for the info guys, but, what do they do to the cows push them over? :mad: IF the answer is yes, she should be banned from US TV forever.

Yes, push them over.
    Completely inane imo.

I was rather pleased to see the back of Olinda this week.
    Her drunken antics ceased to be amusing to me.
    She was a very spiteful person imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The cow-tipping story had me

As I hear tell, cows lock their knees when they sleep. So you can sneak up on them and push them over pretty easily.

Good job, AverageJane. I agree, it's the highlight of drunken hiliarity. Right up there with tossing beer bottles at street signs out the car window (Score!) and hitting mailboxes with baseball bats.

Olinda scared me! She made several comments about wanting Cat dead. When Cat went upstairs to put her luggage away, Olinda said something like "Maybe an accident will happen on the stairs and Cat will die"

WHAAAAT????????

I agree w/ the original post here from Daddio.
    Didn't like Olinda from day 1. She's ugly inside & out. Glad she's gone.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fogey
    Aside from my original rant about my feelings for Olinda at the start of this thread, another thing occured to me the other night with regards to Olinda;

Even though it was subtle, there were at least three different occassions on Monday's show were Olinda either physically confronted Cat or tried to intimidate her with physical threats.

There was the little slap-fest on the bed in the hotel room (started by Olinda and Cat just slapped back in self-defesnse). She kicked at her in another scene and then there was that one day at the table where she lost her temper and got up, leaned over the table and got into Cat's face, yelling at her, pointing her finger and posturing etc.

Now again, this was all very subtle and people can say "Oh she was drunk" or "She was just playing around" etc. But hey, she said she wanted cat "dead" and that she "hated" her and when people are heavy drinkers they are not always in control of themselves. Olinda truly seemed like she could have spun out of control at any moment. And even if she is not that big or strong, one night when she was shitfaced she could have easily thrown a glass or an ash-tray, one of the many empty wine bottels, etc. and possibly really hurt someone.

Anyone who watched 'Paradise Hotel' (another FOX produced show) knows that a person can be - and probably should be - kicked off a show for even making - a verbal threat - of violence.

Remember that Zack got a well deserved boot for saying that "He and his 50 boys" were going to meet up with Keith - after the show was over. So he didn't even make an eminant threat but a futuristic one. Her confrontation with Cat at the table started out with her just sitting there insulting Cat and when she didnt get the reaction from Cat she wanted, Olinda stewed and stewed and you could see her temper rising until she jumped up and leaned over the table, pointing fingers and getting into Cats face.

As soon as I saw Olinda with that sword I could hear the "Phsyco" theme playing in my head. I bet Cat slept with one eye open for the last few days that Olinda was there. Everyone things she tried to get into Davids room for a booty call, when in reality she just wanted to be protected. LOL

On a seperate note, Olinda in a way reminded me of Ruthie from "Real World - Hawaii". Ruthie was also a chain smoking alcoholic and the MTV folks were more than happy to film and display her antics for entertainment value and ratings and never thought to step in an seriously discuss her - more than obvious - drinking problem with her until the episode where she was fall down drunk and got behind the wheel of a car, full of several of her friends. Even then they didnt stop her, they just followed her and filmed all the while and eventually confronted her the next day. And that was only because the lawyers probably discussed liability issues with her. Lets not forget that on episode 1 or 2 Ruthie was so drunk she nearly died and had to be rushed to the hospital and had her stomach pumped. MTV just let the cameras roll. At some point there has to be a fine line between entertainment value and the greater good of a persons health or the affect they could potentially have on others.
    Last edited by Daddio; 11-13-2003 at 10:17 AM.

Good point, Daddio. I agree that Olinda crossed the same line that PH's Zack did.

It's odd that we only began to see this side of her nature so clearly in Ep6. I'm wondering if she acted that way behind the scenes all along, or if this was new behavior.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    Good point, Daddio. I agree that Olinda crossed the same line that PH's Zack did.

It's odd that we only began to see this side of her nature so clearly in Ep6. I'm wondering if she acted that way behind the scenes all along, or if this was new behavior.
    I am sure it was there all along. Its just that in the earlier episodes there were more girls to give a little screen time too and just by attrition alone some of Olinda's actions had to wind up on the cutting room floor.

Each week as the number of girls dwindled, each remaining girl received more screen time and more of their true personalities were displayed.

By the time the group was down to six and we were seeing a combinations of one on one dates and clips of "meanwhile back at the villa", each girl was getting a lot more individual screen time and we saw the "real them".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast