+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Fox getting ready to dump "Joe"?

FORT Fan

Is Fox getting ready to dump "Joe"?

Could the notoriously impatient Fox Network be ready to cut ties with the lackluster reality sequel "The Next Joe Millionaire"?

According to the network's own website (www.fox.com), the Tuesday episode of "Next Joe" has been removed from the line-up, replaced by an encore of the already encored "24" season premiere.

Also, the "Next Joe" website states that it airs Mondays at 8/7 central, without any mention of Tuesdays.

Could Fox ever so quietly be dumping "Joe", not wanting the series to endanger its November sweeps performance? Perhaps, but if "Joe" is indeed reduced to only one night a week, with the series losing viewers each episode, Fox may ultimately be prolonging the pain. Originally, with the twice-weekly airings, "Joe" would have ended November 24TH. With only once-weekly airings, viewers may have endure (or ignore) "Joe" through December and perhaps even into January 2004.

That's interesting jpoliver. The "next week" schedule does show the encore of 24, but when you click on the fall schedule link(http://www.fox.com/schedule/schedule_2003.htm) it still shows up as mondays/tuesdays.

JM2 was double teamed because Fox deleted American Juniors from the schedule and needed to fill the Tuesday night slot. It was originally intended to be a monday/tuesday show.

If they are making the change, I don't know if that means they are cutting ties or not. It is unusual to have a monday/tuesday show, perhaps they think viewership will be higher if viewers don't have to commit two nights each week. :Shrug

we'll keep watching

No mo Joe on Tuesday nights

The Washington Post is reporting today that Fox is cutting Joe back to Monday nights only. Hey, I'm just thankful they didn't pull out entirely. Note that the audience is picking back up. Hopefully that trend will continue. Here's the article:

A Little Less 'Joe Millionaire' to Love
    By Lisa de Moraes
    Friday, October 31, 2003; Page C07

Fox has pulled half of "Joe Millionaire" for the duration of the November sweeps.

The second edition of the reality series, this time about a broke Texas cowboy masquerading as a multimillionaire for 16 European women who are vying to become his main squeeze, was scheduled to air on Monday and Tuesday nights during the ratings derby.

But, unlike the first edition of "Joe Millionaire" -- which opened in January with an impressive 18 million viewers and wrapped in the February sweep with a whopping 40 million to become the 2002-03 TV season's most watched entertainment broadcast -- the second edition opened on Oct. 20 with a disappointing 6.7 million viewers. That's its best number in the three episodes aired so far.

This understandably created a big November sweeps headache for Fox, which had thought cowpoke David Smith and his bevy of subtitled beauties would be the crown jewel of its sweeps strategy and so scheduled this edition to air twice each week.

By airing the show only once each week during the sweeps, Fox is cutting its ratings losses. Next Tuesday, Fox will repeat the season debut of Kiefer Sutherland's series "24" for the third time; two repeats of "That '70s Show" will fill in on Nov. 11, and another "That '70s Show" rerun paired with "The Simpsons" will substitute on Nov. 18.

Fox execs declined to comment.

LG.
    I blame my super late recap from last Tuesday's epsiode (which is almost finished, long suffering fans) as to why Fox isn't sticking with Joe on Tuesday. At least it wasn't a reaction to the quality, as that is not yet determined.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Hug me!
    I am sorry but this show sucks.. Can't they find someone taller and NOT a COWBOY ?
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America
    The Washington Post is reporting today that Fox is cutting Joe back to Monday nights only. Hey, I'm just thankful they didn't pull out entirely. Note that the audience is picking back up. Hopefully that trend will continue...
    Not really sure were you got that information from:

Episode 1 (10/20)......6.8 million viewers
    Episode 2 (10/27)......6.7 million viewers
    Episode 3 (10/28)......6.5 million viewers

Among the important adults 18 - 49 demographic:

Ep. 1......3.1 rating
    Ep. 2......2.5 rating
    Ep. 3......2.8 rating

I'll be the first to admit that I was no math major in college, but "Joe" has actually lost viewers each episode. Even though it did see a slight uptick in Adults 18 - 49, it still lags behind its debut numbers.

Obviously, if Fox had confidence that "Joe" would indeed perk up in ratings, it wouldn't have yanked the Tuesday episode (which has not been confirmed by Fox). The network is likely counting down the days to "American Idol 3", the one reality series it seems not to be able to kill.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    They originally had to put on JM2 on two nights to cover the gaping hole left by the departure of American Juniors 2 from the fall/winter schedule. They must have found some other crap to fill the gap ...
    JM is better at one night.

I liked the two nights, just to get it over with, and find out the twist.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    Obviously, if Fox had confidence that "Joe" would indeed perk up in ratings, it wouldn't have yanked the Tuesday episode (which has not been confirmed by Fox). The network is likely counting down the days to "American Idol 3", the one reality series it seems not to be able to kill.
    That should read that Fox HAS confirmed that "Joe" will no longer air Tuesdays.

Replacements, at least for the month of November are repeats of "24", "That 70's Show" and "The Simpsons". The long-delayed reality series "The Simple Life" (no doubt inspired by "Green Acres") debuts Dec. 2 to keep the hour slot warm until "American Idol" returns in January 2004.

Also, several have posted that Fox had to put "Joe" on twice-a-week, but the network had several options, but got greedy and thought that since the original "Joe" was such a smash, that the second should be too. Besides, why have one highly rated hour during November sweeps when you can have two? Personally, I would have kept "The O.C." on Tuesdays (moving it back an hour to 8:00), but Fox let greed cloud their judgement, and are now paying for it with having (so far) a total ratings collapse on Monday since "Joe" is also dragging down freshman drama "Skin" as well.
    Last edited by jpoliver; 10-31-2003 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    Not really sure were you got that information from:

Episode 1 (10/20)......6.8 million viewers
    Episode 2 (10/27)......6.7 million viewers
    Episode 3 (10/28)......6.5 million viewers

Among the important adults 18 - 49 demographic:

Ep. 1......3.1 rating
    Ep. 2......2.5 rating
    Ep. 3......2.8 rating

I'll be the first to admit that I was no math major in college, but "Joe" has actually lost viewers each episode. Even though it did see a slight uptick in Adults 18 - 49, it still lags behind its debut numbers.
    My oops. I was referring to an article I read online from today's NY Post, which reads in part:

"[FOX] must have been shocked when the premiere of "Joe II" - formal name "The Next Joe Millionaire: An International Affair" - attracted only 6.8 million viewers on Oct. 20, according to Nielsen, despite an avalanche of advance publicity.

The second episode of "Joe II" this past Monday night did even worse - 5.9 million viewers - while the third episode this past Tuesday saw the show's audience creep up a bit to 6.5 million."

Looks like the only disagreement is on the numbers for the second episode. I, of course, have no idea and won't vouch for the Post.

Hey, I'm just lookin' for a small ray of sunshine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast