+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Next Joe Millionaire Does Horrible Rating

FORT Fanatic

The Next Joe Millionaire Does Horrible Rating

The Next Joe Millionaire debuted to a pathetic rating, scoring just a 4.6 national (5.2 overnight) with like a seven share. Between poor performances from JM and Skin, Fox landed the lowest spot of the night, aside from UPN.

What's worse is that 'Joe' is on twice starting next week, as FOX assumed it'd provide a strong lead-in.

Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah
    What's worse is that 'Joe' is on twice starting next week, as FOX assumed it'd provide a strong lead-in.
    What is so bad about that? I love that it's on twice a week. I think it keeps the game interesting.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I think it will pick up once people find out how shallow these women are and want to see if one of them turns out to be a shinning star.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah
    The Next Joe Millionaire debuted to a pathetic rating, scoring just a 4.6 national (5.2 overnight) with like a seven share. Between poor performances from JM and Skin, Fox landed the lowest spot of the night, aside from UPN.

As I mentioned in a different thread yesterday, FOX is likely disappointed but not totally surprised by Joes initial ratings.

Monday's at 8 (7 central) is a tough time slot. You have:

CBS - tried and true comedies (Yes Dear - Still Standing)
    NBC - Fear Factor
    ABC - Primtime Time Monday
    WB - Seventh Heaven
    UPN - ethnic comedies
    PBS - Antiques Road Show on PBS (woo- whoo!).
    Plus there is Monday Night Football pre-game stuff on ESPN.

A lot of these shows have loyal followings and are considered "appointment" viewing.

I think Joe will fare better on Tuesday night against shows like "Whoopie", NAVY NCS and whatever ABC eventually plugs in to replace 8 Simple Rules until a final decision is made on that show as none of these shows has established a following or is particularly good for that matter.

PS - one suggestion for the producers of that show with Teri Polo that is on after 8 Simple Rules - "Shave that guy will ya and comb his hair while you are at it?!?" Why is it that every male charecter on TV that is a rebel teacher or writer or artist or some other type of Bohemian has to have the stereotypical three days worth of beard and dishevled hair? That used to drive me NUTS on Sex and the City. I wanted Carrie to tie Berger down and dry shave him.

FORT Newbie
    Also, if I am not mistaken. Didn't Paradise Hotel start off slowly in the ratings department.It seemed like mid way thru a lot of people discovered it and it ended up pretty well watched. I bet if these girls turn out to be the hard drinking, gold digging, catty, group that they are showing us they have the potential to be, a lot of people will get on the bandwagon.

FORT Fan
    The ratings for "Joe Millionaire 2" and "Skin" were just horrible, and there is little that Fox can do to spin those numbers into something positive. For starters, the ratings for both series were on par with the David E. Kelley drama "Girls Club" which aired Mondays last fall. In case you may not be familiar with the series, its because it only lasted two weeks!

Fox may end up being glad that it scheduled the series twice a week, because the pain will be over with in about five weeks (the finale airs 11/24). Of more concern for Fox is that fact that Fox is charging over $250,000 for a 30-second commercial on "Joe", the third highest rate at the network, behind "The Simpsons" and "24". (The rate is $175,000 for "Skin"). Fox guarantees advertisers certain ratings for certain programs, and the premiere numbers for "Joe" undoubtedly fall way below those guarantees, which means Fox will have to "make good" (that is, give away airtime) to those advertisers.

True, "Joe" could have merely started out slow, but given the fact that the first "Joe" didn't, but instead stormed out of the gates, and considering that both Monday hours recieved heavy promotion during the Baseball playoffs and World Series, the premiere numbers have got to be a tremendous let down.

Fox doesn't seem to have much luck with reality sequels, does anyone remember the (ratings) trainwreck that was "Temptation Island 2" (and 3)? "Joe" was one of those rare tv series which captures the nations attention (like "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and "Survivor"), but because of its premise and twist, any sequels were sure to be hard to pull off.

As previously stated, one weeks numbers doesn't make a winner or loser, but unless "Joe" starts picking up steam quickly (like next Monday and Tuesday), Fox will be wishing it left well enough alone.

LG.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    Fox doesn't seem to have much luck with reality sequels, does anyone remember the (ratings) trainwreck that was "Temptation Island 2" (and 3)? "Joe" was one of those rare tv series which captures the nations attention (like "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and "Survivor"), but because of its premise and twist, any sequels were sure to be hard to pull off.
    I agree with most of your post, jpoliver, but CBS has had ratings success with Survivor sequels, even if they aren't exactly the same as the original, as subsequent seasons of Survivor aired in the fall and spring (the original was in the summer against repeats) and it moved from Wednesdays to Thursdays, and has held its own against Friends and proved a decent lead-in for CSI. As for Joe II, I don't know if it will pick up steam or not, but I'll be watching either way.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoliver
    ...and considering that both Monday hours recieved heavy promotion during the Baseball playoffs and World Series, the premiere numbers have got to be a tremendous let down.
    This may have been part of the problem too.

Not to sound sexist, but I dont believe that many members of the target audience FOX was shooting for with "Joe Mill" (females 18-45) were watching the baseball playoffs or world series.

If a Joe Mill promo falls in an empty forest does anyone see it?

I watched the second half of the first episode and I wasn't impressed. I'm going to give the show one more week and if it doesn't get any better, I'm gone. I'm trying hard to cut down on my excessive TV watching!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    I agree with most of your post, jpoliver, but CBS has had ratings success with Survivor sequels, even if they aren't exactly the same as the original, as subsequent seasons of Survivor aired in the fall and spring (the original was in the summer against repeats) and it moved from Wednesdays to Thursdays, and has held its own against Friends and proved a decent lead-in for CSI. As for Joe II, I don't know if it will pick up steam or not, but I'll be watching either way.
    True, CBS has had a very good track record when it comes to reality series, both "Survivor" and to a lesser extent "Amazing Race" are consistent performers for the network, but my comment was on Fox, not on reality sequels in general. Comparing CBS and Fox is like comparing apples and oranges, as it would be comparing any two general entertainment networks.

I will admit that I never really got into the first "Joe" and only caught parts of the second "Joe". A big complaint I have about "Joe II" is the sub-titles. I prefer to listen to my television set, not read it. Also, Americans may not really care if women from European countries they've never heard of (and couldn't locate on a map) are decieved my evil American TV producers.

It was rather refreshing to hear Fox executives call "Joe II" ratings' "a disappointment". Usually networks try to give a good spin of less-than-stellar ratings.

And concerning the "less competitive" Tuesday night episode, that time slot is no more or less competitive than Mondays. "Joe II" may see a ghost (literally) on Tuesdays when ABC returns "8 Simple Rules..." (with new cast addition James Garner), in early November for what is expected to be a serious jump in the ratings, at least initially. That could again leave "Joe II" out in the ratings cold.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast