+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 10/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie
    The negative reaction to hearing the guy was " a real American cowboy" is conditioned by the European meaning of that term. To us here in the US we think of independent, tough, down home, etc. To Europeans it has very different connotations. One of the women used the term "red neck", and that stereotype is a lot closer to what Europeans think of. Also, "cowboy" is used as shorthand for a reckless approach to politics and world affairs, which is why so many anti-Bush political cartoons in Europe picture him in a cowboy hat with six guns.

So, and yes, I have a point, I am cutting these women some slack for their reaction.

One other thing, did you notice that David was using the horse to cover his shyness when he first came to talk to the women? Everything was "we"--"we thought we'd come say hello"--and so on. He's like the guy in the park with the dog because the pooch makes it easier for him to meet and talk to women.

just had to say that i love it already -- david's adorable -- hot and sweet -- he's going to be eaten alive by these evil harpies and i can't wait.

so i think the girl who likes "loser artists" and the one who wanted to shake hands and loook into his eyes are my early favorites. but also the swedish blond who in the previews said she was "going to win" also must be reckoned with.

i also agree with whoever said that euro girls are less sexually inhibited than americans and i wonder if that means that someone will finally get some action on this show!

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    They'll be hard pressed to make me like anyone of these loser women on this show. I'd like to see them all flogged by the time this show is over. They're heinous and so in it for the money.

Poor, sweet David. Poor thing.

While I know this is just a cheesy dating show, I hope it doesn't feed into America's current wierd relationship with the rest of the world. I didn't think the girls were any more gold-diggy than the American batch. Their English is so impressive, and the fact that they know so much more about American culture than he did about Europe hasn't been mentioned here. So ok, they can hum the "Dallas" theme song- while we can all laugh at that, can anyone here hum the theme song to any European show? (Not AbFab- English shows don't count!)

Also, when Paul was showing him the map, and explaining where the girls come from and how to say hello in their languages (which he didn't seem to even try to do), he asked Paul (in all seriousness!!!) "And where is Dutch?" The guy's a loser.

He and Jessica Simpson should be together and ask each other unbelievably stupid questions. (Fantasy) David "Lichtenstein, now that's a kind of European cow?" Jessica "Don't tell me to lick anything!"
    Et in Arcadia Ego

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by genericwife
    Women: We are cowgirls!
    I loved the one girl with the "Cowgirl" shirt! That was great! Thanks for reminding me about that clip.....

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaia23
    As a European living in the States I have to say that I really enjoyed the show tonight. I know the girls came accross as a pack of drunken tramps but it's because the two cultures are so different. Many European girls exude a different kind of confidence to American girls. They can come accross as vey brash but that is mainly because on the whole they very confident in a very sexual way. This is especialy true of most of the countires these girls come from as promiscuity is seen as normal rather than something to be slightly/very ashamed of.

That does it. Europe, here I come...

Hey Beavis... we're finally gonna score!!!
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Yellow Apple:
    That does it. Europe, here I come...
    Europeans treat sex like an after dinner mint. A simple courtesy.

OMG, this show is a train wreck waiting to happen. Savvy European girls against an aw-shucks Texas boy? Disaster.
    And poor David, because he really seems like a nice guy, and although he doesn't appear to be well-educated, that doesn't mean he isn't intelligent. So far he's shown a lot more (and better) personality than Evan. I grew up around guys like David (although not in Texas, and definitely not with David's body!) and so maybe I'm cutting him some slack. But just remember, being clueless about European geography does not automatically equal stupidity. It just doesn't say much for the Texas public school system.
    The women seemed to be expecting a suave, white-collar kind of guy, and they definitely didn't get it. I think what David probably wants is what he says he wants: a nice girl, probably white Baptist, who's like his mama. Remember his comment about not liking girls who are "cussin', like a guy"? And now he's thrown in with these European girls who drink and smoke and cuss. It can't be pretty.
    Speaking of pretty, while many of these women are not, by American standards (or rather, by the standards that America puts on TV, which is totally different from most real women) it's rather refreshing not to see a gaggle of identical perfect women in black dresses. I loved that one girl's tacky cowgirl shirt! And am I the only one who thinks Olinda (I think it's Olinda) looks like Debbie Harry? Besides, they're not ugly, by any stretch.
    Overall, while many of them seem to like money, they so far have been much more entertaining and engaging than the girls on JM1.
    I think I'm going to like this season. But I hope poor polite David doesn't get too hurt. I keep reminding myself that ultimately, what probably drove him to take this gig was the money: I'm sure he's getting paid something, even if he doesn't get the prize at the end.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyMamma
    Yellow Apple:

Europeans treat sex like an after dinner mint. A simple courtesy.

Oh my gosh you guys! Stop it. You're killing me!

The previews implied that the the women were not yet aware that they will be sequentially eliminated and asked to leave the mansion. They apparently go into some sort of panic when they realize they are not friends, but competitors.

Perhaps they were selected not only because they are unfamiliar with Joe Millionaire, but also completely unfamiliar with Reality TV in general.

+ Reply to Thread