+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shows like this make women look like IDIOTS

FORT Newbie

Shows like this make women look like IDIOTS

My god...where do they find these women...yeah sure put me in a house with 25 other women to fight over the affections of some a**hole, oh but wait...he's rich...oh well then OK...HELLO...wake up and smell the cow patties.

I'm female, and the way they portray women is just sad...they make females look stupid and superficial...I just have to shake my head at how stupid they make these women look...I sincerely hope that these women aren't actually that dumb...I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Did anyone else notice that on for Love or Money...in the first one the girls were portrayed as being so stupid and never saw anything coming...however in for Love or Money 2...they showed that the guys were figuring things out...HELLO.

I for one am taking a stand about the way these show portray females, and I won't be watching.

Well, I think these shows make the women who are ON the shows look like idiots. I've never really felt like they're meant to imply that all women are silly enough to long to meet a below-average man through group dating on television. I kinda think the editors of the shows work with what they're given, in terms of what the women and men do and say. In other words, these are not brilliant, even-tempered people generally going on the shows.
    On FLOM 2 I did notice that they showed the men realizing that something was up, whereas FLOM 1 did not show the women coming to similar realizations. I figured it was because the women did NOT come to said realizations. But I really didn't give it much thought.
    That said, Pkmtx, your comments are food for thought.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by pkmtx
    My god...where do they find these women...yeah sure put me in a house with 25 other women to fight over the affections of some a**hole, oh but wait...he's rich...oh well then OK...HELLO...wake up and smell the cow patties.
    To be fair to the women on Joe Mill 1, they were deceived by the producers about the concept of the show. They were never told what it was going to be called, and several of them said in post-show interviews that they were told that the show's premise was going to be some sort of "Sex in the City in Paris". IE: smart and sexy professional women looking for love in the world's most romantic city.

Once they were already there and the filming began, they were basically locked in a castle and only enlighted to drips and drabs of truth on a "need to" basis. Some reacted catilly. And some - like Zhora the eventual winner - never sunk into the goldigger mentality. Evan would never be confused with a brain surgeon or even a sturgeon surgeon - but he did seem to be a good judge of charecter.

I think (hope) that it may say something about American women that they had to film Joe Mill 2 using European women who had (allegedly) never seen or heard of Joe Mill 1 - sort of the "fool me once shame on you - fool me twice shame of me" sort of mentality. (bye the way - last we heard Evan and Zora were still waiting for their money).

Similar can be said of FLOM 1 - the girls were not totally aware of the premise of that show until sometime into the filming - as we know from the looks on their faces when the cash prize was announced. Then they were not told about the twist of the "take the love or take the money" rule until late in the show either.

That being said, I doubt that they knew that the show's title was going to be "For Love Or Money" at the time they signed up. They probably thought it would be something similar to the "Bachelor".

Although I do feel the the women on FLOM were much more catty than they were on Joe Mill 1. Then again that could be due to clever editing. I am sure that NBC had tons of more hours of footage to work with than FOX did when it came down to editing time.
    Last edited by Daddio; 10-14-2003 at 04:09 PM.

Are we going to rehash these arguments again?

In JM1, the agreement they all voluntarily signed clearly stated that the show was a dating show, and implied, but didn't say flat out, for obvious reasons, that the target would be wealthy. The women who participated knew, or should have known if they read what they sign, what they were agreeing to get into.

The twist was obviously a trick, as that was the whole point of the show. It was just too conveinent that in some cases the women (Heidi and Sarah anyone?) were more than happy to fill the stereotype to a tee, without need for much editing.

The real story though was that Zhora, the non-golddigger won, and showing that she is smart too, immediately dumped Evan after getting her money
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

What the women do on these shows, or even the way they're edited has no consequence whatsoever on how all women would act under such circumstances.

You're free to make your own conclusions from what you see. I personally did not think all women would act like most acted in JM1. Let people make their own conclusions. I am not looking for primetime TV to give me the answer to how all women really act.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

FORT Fogey
    I think a show like this is laughable, let's face it whoever wins will not marry the guy, the distance factor is way to big.

As for why they put them in this situation i think the premise will draw in guys and girls. Nothing agianst the show the bachelor but i think that is a stupid premise and this show just mocks it and makes it somewhat interesting.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlaFan
    I think a show like this is laughable, let's face it whoever wins will not marry the guy, the distance factor is way to big.
    Obviously you have never met a foreign national who would do ANYTHING for a green card Charlafan. LOL

Seriously though, they actually have websites and catalogs with literally thousands of young, attractive, mail-order European brides who will cross the pond and marry a guy sight unseen. As long as he has the cash.

I do agree with you that shows like this and the bachelor are not at all really about two people meeting, falling in love and getting married. They are about drama, entertainment and ratings.

But distance is not really a factor where these women are concerned. Most of them if not all of them would want nothing more that a ticket to the U.S.

Even if a walk down the aisle is not in their future, they would be more than happy to have the show lead to someone; a fan of the show, a producer, casting agent, owner of a strip club, anyone to contact them and ask them on over.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    Obviously you have never met a foreign national who would do ANYTHING for a green card Charlafan. LOL

Most of them if not all of them would want nothing more that a ticket to the U.S.
    I agree. Having hosted foreign exchange students myself for a few years, young girls from certain countries think the U.S. is the place to be. Of course, I know not everyone likes us. But $11,000 or $80 million, I don't think it really matters to someone that sees an opportunity. Someone on another thread mentioned that we should be ashamed of ourselves for having a show like this that would take advantage of these foreign girls, but I think they're smart enough to know they'd get something out of it for themselves too.

What I love is the irony of the dumb Texas cowboy (the epitomy of the western world stereotype/Texas image) there to fool European women that are possibly from such small countries/villages.... The old farmer's beautiful daughter kept in the barn away from the hungry wolves and now that she is betrayed, here comes Daddy with the shot gun. This is something you'd think of when you hear "Texas", but it's gone global.....

I don't know, I just see this as funny....my sick humor. I digress.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I agree with Bill - we rehashed this all out last time on JM . God knows what they really told those girls about the show they were doing. Remember the exec producer is Heidi Fleiss's bro.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    After seeing these girls last night, I think these girls are all "princesses". I take back what I said about not caring if the guy has $11000 or $80 million to come to the US. It is quite obvious that they quickly warmed to the idea of a "cowboy"(which was such a joke to one girl because she is European!) when they found out he had money. Should be interesting to see how the claws come out on these spoiled chickas.
    Last edited by Igotalife; 10-21-2003 at 11:38 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast