+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shows like this make women look like IDIOTS

Wow! This topic hit a nerve!

I don't think that the portrayal of women on dating shows is the point, here. As Americans, familiar with the reality genre, we know to expect the "characters" to be edited down to one dimension, like Sarah Kozer the "goldigging b*tch", or Zora the "nice girl", like "lazy, useless" Osten (S7), "whiny quitter" Flo (TAR2). We know that all of these people are much more than the condensed version we see, but enjoy that process as it makes for easier watching and a more flavorful cast. Also, I think the appeal of reality TV is that (even subconsciously) we imagine how we would behave in these manufactured situations, and hope that our reactions would be so good that it would prove that old true line "You can't edit in a bad personality."

Regarding the European girls, my only wish is that there were no Czech girls. All the others come from wealthy countries with fantastic education and healthcare systems, and I think that makes laughing at/with them fair. They seem to be model/actress/waitress types, and if it weren't for the accent, they could be Californians. The Czech girls though have been through the fall of communism, the velvet revolution, and a nation's desperate attempts to join the globalized capitalistic modern world, and I think using a couple of this country's pretty young women in what amounts to a mean practical joke is cruel.
    Et in Arcadia Ego

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRI
    Regarding the European girls, my only wish is that there were no Czech girls. All the others come from wealthy countries with fantastic education and healthcare systems, and I think that makes laughing at/with them fair. I think using a couple of this country's pretty young women in what amounts to a mean practical joke is cruel.
    No one put a gun to their heads. Based on what we've seen so far, David is the one who should be pitied. The majority of those women seemed downright ruthless. I don't think this poor, sweet guy will be able to handle these golddigging, green card wanting barracudas. He is in way over his head.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyRI
    All the others come from wealthy countries with fantastic education and healthcare systems, and I think that makes laughing at/with them fair. They seem to be model/actress/waitress types, and if it weren't for the accent, they could be Californians.
    So if the girls on JM2 are from such wealthy countries, what happened to their sense of taste? Their fashion sense needs an overhaul.

Like yeah, like you are so right girlfriend. OMG, I was watchin that show and woah. Like I couldn't control myself, it was like so oppressing to my feminine emotions. Like HELLO mr producer man, trying to oppress us. Like OMG I so do not need to be shacking up with some cowboy scrub.

I'm sure that dirty horsey guy would be like "woman, clean my clothes" and I would be like "Like this isn't the 1920s anymore ya know? U need to take that to the dry cleaners or something. Like OMG! "

Quote Originally Posted by VectorWega
    Like yeah, like you are so right girlfriend. OMG, I was watchin that show and woah. Like I couldn't control myself, it was like so oppressing to my feminine emotions. Like HELLO mr producer man, trying to oppress us. Like OMG I so do not need to be shacking up with some cowboy scrub.

I'm sure that dirty horsey guy would be like "woman, clean my clothes" and I would be like "Like this isn't the 1920s anymore ya know? U need to take that to the dry cleaners or something. Like OMG! "

after seeing the first episode, i'm thinking that all of these "women" quite possibly ARE idiots.
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I agree with broken and NYGal.

I look forward to watching them make fools of themselves. And in fact, I think Fox did a darn good job in JM1 of making Evan look like an idiot. I don't think it has to do with making the women look like idiots.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12