+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 'Joe Millionaire' Set for Oct. 20 Bow on Fox

LG.
    If by any chance they had caught any of the first Joe Millionaire either on the internet or by a visit to somewhere with this lovely US export, Paul Hogan the butler will be the dead giveaway that this is the same show . . . But if they know that Zora got $500,000 for winning, why, it sure beats what Fear Factor would make you do for a fraction of that cash.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Speaking as a European, we dwell in our culture like americans dwell in theirs, and I dare to say that we do not really take much interest in searching the net for shows that are new/airing in USA, if they are not actually showing (or soon going to be airing) on European channels as well. So, it is very much possible that these women have never heard about Joe Millionaire, and even if they would be women who like to surf the net and watch TV in general, maybe they are not interested in reality TV in the first place. And, there are several dating shows in each country, and it is quite possible they were perhaps told they were going to be in one of them instead of some American production. I don't think it is impossible at all to find people who have never heard about Joe Millionaire.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Not true, ICLA. The new Joe will be a Texan guy with a thick Texan accent and cowboy boots, and the women will be international.

At least according to the commercial I saw the other day.
    so that means no one will understand him, right? (a plot twist? )
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by Tirlittan
    Speaking as a European, we dwell in our culture like americans dwell in theirs, and I dare to say that we do not really take much interest in searching the net for shows that are new/airing in USA, if they are not actually showing (or soon going to be airing) on European channels as well. So, it is very much possible that these women have never heard about Joe Millionaire, and even if they would be women who like to surf the net and watch TV in general, maybe they are not interested in reality TV in the first place. And, there are several dating shows in each country, and it is quite possible they were perhaps told they were going to be in one of them instead of some American production. I don't think it is impossible at all to find people who have never heard about Joe Millionaire.
    Of course it's a possibility that all these women have not seen the show. I am not saying every European lusts for any information they can find on American TV shows. I am merely saying that there is a hefty possibility that at least one contestant has heard of JM1 or its premise, and one is enough to spoil the bunch, or at the very least spoil the integrity of the show. Even if such a contestant was not aware they were going on JM2 when initially cast, they would surely find out when the premise is established and the butler is revealed. And merely asking all contestants if they've seen or heard about JM1 prior to casting does not ensure they tell the truth.

But again, this is all assuming the producers are going with the same formula for this show as the last, which is unlikely. It is quite possible that the show is completely upfront about the possibility that one or more of the contestants has heard of JM1, and that such a possibility won't get in the way of the show, which might have taken a completely different approach to the "twist".
    Last edited by Zaius; 10-07-2003 at 12:24 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaius
    But again, this is all assuming the producers are going with the same formula for this show as the last, which is unlikely
    Perhaps there is ONE area FOX is going with the same formula as with last season.

Lets not forget that FOX was not upfront with the women on JM1 and told them all that the show was going to have a completely different name as well as a completely different premise.

If I recall correctly, they told them all it was going to be some sort of "Sex in the City in Paris" type of premise - and everything else was sprung on them on a daily basis. Made for lots of good reaction shots tho such as the approach to the castle, the jewelry ceremonies, the announcement that Einstein was rich (albeit illiterate).

So this may be how FOX plans to fool any potential female contestents who may have seen JM-1. Just putting a new piece of brie cheese in the same old rat trap.

My burning question is (and yes I plan to see a doctor about it); are we going to have another phantom female hostess who comes on for 1.2 seconds an episode? I loved her, whatever her name was. She had a lot of great boots.
    Last edited by Daddio; 10-08-2003 at 01:32 PM.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Can I just say something since I'm from Texas? When are we going to move away from the stereotypes of the dumb cowboy from Texas image? Geez. And how this guy talks, plus the fact he's a rodeo cowboy and wears a big hat and belt buckle. I'm so embarassed already. Everyone from Texas does not talk/look/act like this. I swear if they show him chewing on a piece of wheat, I'm going to fall down laughing.

I guess I "have" to tune in to see how these European women fare against the dumb, "rich" Texan. 3 words come to mind for JM2...."dumb and dumber". You pick which one applied to the cowboy and the ladies.

Still, you have to admit the intro song currently on FOX's "Joe" website is hilarious.
    http://www.fox.com/joem/

He's riding out of Texas, to play a twisted game.
    Beauties from around the world, who haven't heard his name.
    He'll tell them of his fortune and that love can earn their share.
    But he doesn't really have a dime.
    They call him Joe... Joe Millionaire.

C'mon. You laughed. It's SO cheesy.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Still, you have to admit the intro song currently on FOX's "Joe" website is hilarious.
    http://www.fox.com/joem/

He's riding out of Texas, to play a twisted game.
    Beauties from around the world, who haven't heard his name.
    He'll tell them of his fortune and that love can earn their share.
    But he doesn't really have a dime.
    They call him Joe... Joe Millionaire.

C'mon. You laughed. It's SO cheesy.
    Oh my gosh...cheesy and then some! Maybe it needs a second verse

Hmmm something like:

Well the next thing you old Joe's a millionaire,
    The Eurortrash nymphs all say "pack my frilly underwear"
    If I marry this schmuck California is the place I outta be
    Cause there aint no lines for toilet paper and I can go from an "A" to a "D"
    Hills that is, silicone, gentlemans clubs, dollar signs

LG.
    I do love the cheesy theme song. I let the whole intro play, even though I'm at work, just to giggle at that stupid song.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    I do love the cheesy theme song. I let the whole intro play, even though I'm at work, just to giggle at that stupid song.
    I LOVE a theme song that details the premise of the show for us every week. Even if you have never seen the show before, the little 1 minute diddy will not only explain exactly what the show is about, it will have you singing it in the shower for weeks. They dont do that enough anymore. Some great examples of premise explaining theme songs:

Gilligan's Island
    Beverly Hillbillies
    Dif'rent Strokes
    Brady Bunch
    Partridge Family
    Pettycoat Junction
    Green Acres
    Jeffersons

I bet we all know the words to just about everyone one of those theme songs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast