Closed Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 279

Thread: Jersey Shore on MTV

  1. #81
    Kneel before your god gamer83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    485

    Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

    Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3772030;
    As far as I know, an attorney only bills their client for a percentage of any judgment collected. If a judge rules in favor of the plaintiff, the only cost would be to file the judgment, which would not be that costly at all. I'm sorry you seem to take this so personally. I don't think it's appropriate to demean another person's values, such as principles.

    ETA: It's not just "to satisfy some sort of principle." It is also a criminal matter - physical assault. And yes, I do know suing would be a civil matter.
    You apparently know wrong. Attorneys only agree to this payment scheme, called working on "contingency", when a person is suing either a large company that has the money/assets/insurance to collect a judgment against or a person with insurance that will have to pay any judgments won(like in an auto accident) in addition to the case being a guaranteed slam dunk win. This goes back to what I said earlier, collectibility of judgments is equally important as the actual case you have. No attorney will work on contingency when the plaintiff is suing a deadbeat with no assets to collect a judgment against.

    Again, you admit this is a CRIMINAL matter, yet you are calling for a CIVIL solution. The CRIMINAL matter has already been resolved by the State of New Jersey. Unless Snookie has a demonstratable material loss, there is absolutely no reason for her to sue. And even then, it still makes no sense to sue unless there is a means to collect. It is clear many here do not have a clear understanding of what the true purpose of criminal and civil courts are, how they work, or how one actually goes about hiring an attorney and determining if there is cause to sue.
    Last edited by gamer83; 12-18-2009 at 09:50 PM.
    "I bet that a lot of people are b!ithing right now and they don't want me to be here but....I'm here to crush dreams! What can I say?"
    ----Janelle after winning 3rd HOH out of 6 possible

  2. #82
    FORT Fogey Imperfect1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,027

    Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer83;3772219;
    You apparently know wrong. Attorneys only agree to this payment scheme, called working on "contingency", when a person is suing either a large company that has the money/assets/insurance to collect a judgment against or a person with insurance that will have to pay any judgments won(like in an auto accident) in addition to the case being a guaranteed slam dunk win. This goes back to what I said earlier, collectibility of judgments is equally important as the actual case you have. No attorney will work on contingency when the plaintiff is suing a deadbeat with no assets to collect a judgment against.

    Again, you admit this is a CRIMINAL matter, yet you are calling for a CIVIL solution. The CRIMINAL matter has already been resolved by the State of New Jersey. Unless Snookie has a demonstratable material loss, there is absolutely no reason for her to sue. And even then, it still makes no sense to sue unless there is a means to collect. It is clear many here do not have a clear understanding of what the true purpose of criminal and civil courts are, how they work, or how one actually goes about hiring an attorney and determining if there is cause to sue.

    Sorry gamer, I'm an attorney, and I can tell you that you're wrong. Attorneys work on contingency in all kinds of cases, and for all kinds of clients, (and many do pro bono work, for free). And 'teacher' is not a dead beat. He is employed, has a salary and that salary CAN be garnished. Too difficult for Snooki you said above? Well, Snooki is a minor, so one of her parents would be her legal "guardian" and would file the suit on her behalf, and would also collect the judgment on her behalf, so it is not that difficult.

    You are also wrong about implying that because an action has both a civil and criminal consequence, that you cannot find justice in both courts. And in this case, Snooki would clearly have compensable losses in a civil court, i.e her medical bills and 'pain and suffering.'

    I think we all understand what you're trying to say about a civil suit not being your personal choice as to what is the correct action for Snooki to take, but that doesn't change the fact that she is well within her rights to file a civil suit, because she should be compensated for the damages this man cost her.
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 12-19-2009 at 06:36 AM.

  3. #83
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    866

    Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3772411;
    Sorry gamer, I'm an attorney, and I can tell you that you're wrong. Attorneys work on contingency in all kinds of cases, and for all kinds of clients, (and many do pro bono work, for free). And 'teacher' is not a dead beat. He is employed, has a salary and that salary CAN be garnished. Too difficult for Snooki you said above? Well, Snooki is a minor, so one of her parents would be her legal "guardian" and would file the suit on her behalf, and would also collect the judgment on her behalf, so it is not that difficult.

    You are also wrong about implying that because an action has both a civil and criminal consequence, that you cannot find justice in both courts. And in this case, Snooki would clearly have compensable losses in a civil court, i.e her medical bills and 'pain and suffering.'

    I think we all understand what you're trying to say about a civil suit not being your personal choice as to what is the correct action for Snooki to take, but that doesn't change the fact that she is well within her rights to file a civil suit, because she should be compensated for the damages this man cost her.
    Thank you once again, Imperfect1, for your articulation. I wasn't able to express myself as eloquently as you, but I would have hoped the other person could see that I knew the physical assault was the criminal act, and if Snooki chose to sue, it would be a civil case. Don't understand the hostility of the other person, but thank you for offering diplomatic comments.
    Last edited by daiseyo; 12-19-2009 at 12:09 PM.

  4. #84
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    866

    Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer83;3772219;
    You apparently know wrong. Attorneys only agree to this payment scheme, called working on "contingency", when a person is suing either a large company that has the money/assets/insurance to collect a judgment against or a person with insurance that will have to pay any judgments won(like in an auto accident) in addition to the case being a guaranteed slam dunk win. This goes back to what I said earlier, collectibility of judgments is equally important as the actual case you have. No attorney will work on contingency when the plaintiff is suing a deadbeat with no assets to collect a judgment against.

    Again, you admit this is a CRIMINAL matter, yet you are calling for a CIVIL solution. The CRIMINAL matter has already been resolved by the State of New Jersey. Unless Snookie has a demonstratable material loss, there is absolutely no reason for her to sue. And even then, it still makes no sense to sue unless there is a means to collect. It is clear many here do not have a clear understanding of what the true purpose of criminal and civil courts are, how they work, or how one actually goes about hiring an attorney and determining if there is cause to sue.
    I think it is you who "apparently knows wrong." Imperfect1's explanation is perfect (no pun intended).

  5. #85
    Kneel before your god gamer83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    485

    Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3772411;
    Sorry gamer, I'm an attorney, and I can tell you that you're wrong. Attorneys work on contingency in all kinds of cases, and for all kinds of clients, (and many do pro bono work, for free). And 'teacher' is not a dead beat. He is employed, has a salary and that salary CAN be garnished. Too difficult for Snooki you said above? Well, Snooki is a minor, so one of her parents would be her legal "guardian" and would file the suit on her behalf, and would also collect the judgment on her behalf, so it is not that difficult.

    You are also wrong about implying that because an action has both a civil and criminal consequence, that you cannot find justice in both courts. And in this case, Snooki would clearly have compensable losses in a civil court, i.e her medical bills and 'pain and suffering.'

    I think we all understand what you're trying to say about a civil suit not being your personal choice as to what is the correct action for Snooki to take, but that doesn't change the fact that she is well within her rights to file a civil suit, because she should be compensated for the damages this man cost her.
    Really Snookie is a minor? Thats funny, because I assumed she was well into adulthood since she was assaulted in a bar drinking liquor on camera. She's definitely not a minor. What type of law is it that you practice?

    Attorneys who work shaky cases on contingency are the type of bottom feeding scum you see on late night TV. No reputable attorney would waste their valuable billable hours chasing money they can't easily collect.

    Snookie most assuredly got taken care of by MTV. I'm certain they paid her bills plus probably a bit extra to placate her. MTV is who would be doing the suing here, and they don't seem to want to waste their time with it.
    "I bet that a lot of people are b!ithing right now and they don't want me to be here but....I'm here to crush dreams! What can I say?"
    ----Janelle after winning 3rd HOH out of 6 possible

  6. #86
    FORT Fogey Imperfect1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,027

    Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

    Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3772486;
    Thank you once again, Imperfect1, for your articulation. I wasn't able to express myself as eloquently as you, but I would have hoped the other person could see that I knew the physical assault was the criminal act, and if Snooki chose to sue, it would be a civil case. Don't understand the hostility of the other person, but thank you for offering diplomatic comments.
    Thanks so much for your support, daiseyo. I really appreciate it. Sometimes people get opinions about things, and it's hard to change their mind. In any event, I would imagine the mods don't want us going off topic for long, so for me, I think I'd better let the subject rest.

  7. #87
    Just passin through SassnSauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    495

    Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

    my nickname would be the "appointment". at first i thought is was hella funny but my friend won't stop lookin at me so now i don't know how to take it.
    ur homely, jewish and rich. u get married. 5 yrs later, ur still homely and jewish but now ur divorced and broke - #itsjillzarinsfault- by little ol' me

  8. #88
    FORT Fan reneekk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toledo Ohio
    Age
    35
    Posts
    254

    Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

    Ok peeps, quit arguing over this stuff. It doesn't matter. This stuff is all their issues, not something for any of us to get all upset over.

    Did anyone see that you can hire Snookie for $2,000 to come hang out, make an appearance? How funny is that!

    I'm also here to admit that I am now following Snnokie, Pauly, JWow and The Situation on twitter. No, I cannot explain why. Entertainment value? Or I'm just pathetic?

  9. #89
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    3,884

    Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

    reneekk, I see you are NEW!!!! to FORT!!!

    I used to live in Toledo, Ohio...actually Sylvania!!! Can I just say I absolutely loved living in Toledo!!!


    And welcome to the JS thread. ITA, with you, people let's not argue over these idiots. I will say I don't think I have laughed so much watching the kiddos on Jay Leno the other night and the BESTEST part was Snooki confusing Moammar Kadafi for Lionel Ritchie......PRICELESS!!!



    Quote Originally Posted by reneekk;3775097;
    Ok peeps, quit arguing over this stuff. It doesn't matter. This stuff is all their issues, not something for any of us to get all upset over.

    Did anyone see that you can hire Snookie for $2,000 to come hang out, make an appearance? How funny is that!

    I'm also here to admit that I am now following Snnokie, Pauly, JWow and The Situation on twitter. No, I cannot explain why. Entertainment value? Or I'm just pathetic?
    KAREN

  10. #90
    *Until Next Season...* karalott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Posts
    17,606

    Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

    Quote Originally Posted by reneekk;3775097;
    Ok peeps, quit arguing over this stuff. It doesn't matter. This stuff is all their issues, not something for any of us to get all upset over.

    Did anyone see that you can hire Snookie for $2,000 to come hang out, make an appearance? How funny is that!

    I'm also here to admit that I am now following Snnokie, Pauly, JWow and The Situation on twitter. No, I cannot explain why. Entertainment value? Or I'm just pathetic?
    Oh brother. I guess that's how she'll make her living for now, until that doesn't work out. I wonder how many offers she's getting I still say she'll make a bigger deal about the punch when the limelight fades further and further away. I do love how MTV downplays the overall controversy of this show and says they didn't choose to stereotype a specific group of individuals, but wanted to show kids on the Jersey Shore, but they cast all Italian Americans so I guess they could call it Jersey Shore and not the Real World. I saw a clip of Snooki, the guy who likes to flash his abs, and some other people from this show at the Video Game Awards where they presented with Mike Tyson. One of them said "I can't believe we're standing here with Iron Man Mike Tyson". Mike Tyson "Yeah, um...who are you guys?" I noticed he kept his distance

    And no, you're not pathetic. I think twitter is the dumbest thing ever invented for the internet but I follow DWTS peeps on it

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.