Closed Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Jersey Shore on MTV

Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3771520;
    IMHO, it wouldn't matter if the judgment was collected or not. To me, it would be a matter of principle. No one has a right to hit another person. Even if no money would ever be collected, a judgment against him would surely make him think twice about things.
    BINGO, we have a winner!!! ITA!!!

gamer83, I did not state that you condoned the PUNCH....just the tone of your post was that a NYC high school gym teacher does not make that much money and how would he pay a judgment against him......so I posted basically, that he should NOT have gotten himself in this situation TO BEGIN WITH............and as far as his students..........to me, Teach is not a very good role model for all of them.

And ITA with daiseyo, I am sooooo sure this was NOT the first time Teach slugged someone.......no way. He might have gotten away with it before BUT now the cameras were rolling and "BUSTED".
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3771520;
    IMHO, it wouldn't matter if the judgment was collected or not. To me, it would be a matter of principle. No one has a right to hit another person. Even if no money would ever be collected, a judgment against him would surely make him think twice about things.
    So Snookie should incur legal fees winning a judgment she cannot collect to satisfy some sort of principle. Maybe Snookie has limited funds herself and thought it better to keep what money she has, and just let the criminal justice system make him "think twice". It's easy to say someone should act on principal when you don't have to foot the bill.
    "I bet that a lot of people are b!ithing right now and they don't want me to be here but....I'm here to crush dreams! What can I say?"
    ----Janelle after winning 3rd HOH out of 6 possible

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by gamer83;3771597;
    So Snookie should incur legal fees winning a judgment she cannot collect to satisfy some sort of principle. Maybe Snookie has limited funds herself and thought it better to keep what money she has, and just let the criminal justice system make him "think twice". It's easy to say someone should act on principal when you don't have to foot the bill.
    Or maybe she doesn't really care about getting punched in itself but doesn't mind the publicity it gives her or any sympathy. Maybe it wasn't the teachers first fight, but he's not alone in getting in bar brawls, and this could have been the first woman he ever hit. That is an issue I don't want to touch so I'll leave it at that. I do agree that if criminal action has been taken and Snookie just decided to sue for publicity sake, or if she seriously feels wrong, it could be awhile, if ever, that she sees any money. The whole Anna Nicole saga that involved her husband's estate? Both Anna and the son that was fighting have since passed away but that decade long battle is still caught up in court. Like many other civil cases.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by gamer83;3771091;
    Read all of the posts, he's already been through the criminal justice system and has been sentenced. He was arrested in the preview clip, what did you think the police just let him go charge free?

Additionally, a civil suit would only pay to recoup actual losses. I'm willing to bet MTV footed the actual medical bills. Even if she won some token "pain and suffering" amount, she still has to collect that judgment, how much money to you think a high school gym teacher living in NYC has?
    Whoa, gamer, :nono take it easy!!! Mia culpa! Mia culpa! I did not watch the preview clip at the end of the show, and therefore had no idea that he was taken into police custody. And, by the way, I didn't notice anyone discussing the police part of it anywhere before my original post, so stop getting so hostile, and play nice!!!

In regard to the civil suit, you apparently have predetermined how much money the teacher has, but even if you're right, his salary can be garnished and he can be ordered to pay a certain amount (even if it's a small amount) every month. The point is IT'S A FELONY to assault and batter someone, and it's WRONG; and people have to understand there are civil and sometimes criminal CONSEQUENCES for BREAKING THE LAW. You are implying that if someone doesn't have enough money to pay a judment for their actions, they shouldn't be held accountable. Sorry, it doesn't work that way!

And you know gamer, a person can file a lawsuit on his/her own behalf and not have to pay any legal fees. And in Snooki's case, she will most likely have medical effects from that punch for a long time, and there could be considerable costs involved, if she, for example has to have surgery to correct the damage. Why on earth should she or Bravo have to pay those costs??????? And, yes, she IS entitled to recover also for her 'pain and suffering.'

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3771847;
    Whoa, gamer, :nono take it easy!!! Mia culpa! Mia culpa! I did not watch the preview clip at the end of the show, and therefore had no idea that he was taken into police custody. And, by the way, I didn't notice anyone discussing the police part of it anywhere before my original post, so stop getting so hostile, and play nice!!!

In regard to the civil suit, you apparently have predetermined how much money the teacher has, but even if you're right, his salary can be garnished and he can be ordered to pay a certain amount (even if it's a small amount) every month. The point is IT'S A FELONY to assault and batter someone, and it's WRONG; and people have to understand there are civil and sometimes criminal CONSEQUENCES for BREAKING THE LAW. You are implying that if someone doesn't have enough money to pay a judment for their actions, they shouldn't be held accountable. Sorry, it doesn't work that way!

And you know gamer, a person can file a lawsuit on his/her own behalf and not have to pay any legal fees. And in Snooki's case, she will most likely have medical effects from that punch for a long time, and there could be considerable costs involved, if she, for example has to have surgery to correct the damage. Why on earth should she or Bravo have to pay those costs??????? And, yes, she IS entitled to recover also for her 'pain and suffering.'
    Your bar for "hostile" is pretty low.

Garnishing wages is extremely difficult, and requires a lot of paperwork/procedures that lay persons typically don't properly understand. In addition, many state laws bar garnishment of wages except in the most extreme debt collection cases. For small claims court wins, no regular joe like snookie is going to get wages garnished, it just never happens.

Here's what Snookie would have to do in the state of NY to even attempt to garnish his wages:

Quote Originally Posted by NY State Garnishment Procedures
    At any time before a judgment is satisfied or vacated, the judgment creditor may compel disclosure of all matter relevant to the satisfaction of the judgment, by serving upon any person a subpoena, which shall specify all of the parties to the action, the date of the judgment, the court in which it was entered, the amount of the judgment and the amount then due thereon, and shall Statutee that false swearing or failure to comply with the subpoena is punishable as a contempt of court. N.Y. Civil. Prac. L. & R. 5223.

Service of an information subpoena shall be accompanied by a copy and original of written questions and a prepaid, addressed return envelope. Service may be made by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested. Answers shall be made in writing under oath by an officer, director, agent or employee having the information. Answers shall be returned together with the original of the questions within seven days after receipt. Any person served with an information subpoena shall not be entitled to any fee. N.Y. Civil. Prac. L. & R. 5224.

A restraining notice may be issued by the clerk of the court or the attorney for the judgment creditor as officer of the court. It may be served upon any persons, except the employer of a judgment debtor where the property sought to be restrained consists of wages or salary due or to become due to the judgment debtor . It shall be served personally in the same manner as a summons or by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested. It shall specify all of the parties to the action, the date that the judgment or order was entered, the court in which it was entered, the amount of the judgment or order and the amount then due thereon, the names of all parties in whose favor and against whom the judgment or order was entered, it shall set forth subdivision (b) and shall Statutee that disobedience is punishable as a contempt of court, and it shall contain an original signature or copy of the original signature of the clerk of the court or attorney which issued it. N.Y. Civil. Prac. L. & R. 5222(a).

A restraining notice served upon a person other than the judgment debtor is effective only if, at the time of service, he or she owes a debt to the judgment debtor or he or she is in the possession or custody of property in which he or she knows or has reason to believe the judgment debtor has an interest, or if the judgment creditor has Statuteed in the notice that a specified debt is owed by the person served to the judgment debtor or that the judgment debtor has an interest in specified property in the possession or custody of the person served. All property in which the judgment debtor is known or believed to have an interest then in and thereafter coming into the possession or custody of such a person, including any specified in the notice, and all debts of such a person, including any specified in the notice, then due and thereafter coming due to the judgment debtor , shall be subject to the notice. Such a person is forbidden to make or suffer any sale, assignment or transfer of, or any interference with, any such property, or pay over or otherwise dispose of any such debt, to any person other than the sheriff, except upon direction of the sheriff or pursuant to an order of the court, until the expiration of one year after the notice is served upon him or her, or until the judgment or order is satisfied or vacated. If a garnishee served with a restraining notice withholds the payment of money belonging or owed to the judgment debtor in an amount equal to twice the amount due on the judgment or order, the restraining notice is not effective as to other property or money. N.Y. Civil. Prac. L. & R. 5222(b).
    So you really believe Snookie could handle this without proper legal representation? Have you seen her on the show?

Additionally, there are ALWAYS cost associated with suing someone. She will at bare minimum, have to pay filing fees and take time off of work, and if she goes this route then she is solely responsible for collecting as I have stated. How collectible a judgment is, is just as important as how strong of a case you have.

I guarantee MTV, not BRAVO as you claim, has already paid her medical bills and compensated her in exchange for her signing a waiver not to sue them or the culprit. MTV could now try to subrogate their loss and go after the guy with their on retainer in house attorneys, and believe me if they thought is was worth while, they would do just that.

I just get a kick out of how on the internet everyone just yells "SUE!", when in reality it's much more complicated than it appears on Judge Judy. I think Snookie, assesed her own situation and did what was best for her, not what satifies your "principles".

Like you stated, it is a FELONY, the criminal justice system is who punishes crimes. The civil system is to make whole material losses NOT punish crimes. Just because a criminal act occurs, doesn't mean a civil suit should follow. I'm not implying anyone should not be help accountable. I am saying that there are many factors to consider before you sue, and in real life, not some utopia, in more cases than not it makes no sense to sue someone civilly for a criminal act when all things are considered.
    Last edited by gamer83; 12-18-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    "I bet that a lot of people are b!ithing right now and they don't want me to be here but....I'm here to crush dreams! What can I say?"
    ----Janelle after winning 3rd HOH out of 6 possible

Ok, last nights epi was the worst ever.

These kiddos have to REIGN IT IN!

Now I want to state I am so glad that MTV chose NOT to show the punch and was glad they had the PSA at the end of the epi!

It will be a long time before Teach will live this down. Unlike allot of tv reality shows....Survivor, Amazing Race, these shows do not repeat. MTV repeats and repeats and repeats all their shows. Then there are weekends when MTV will even have Marathons.

Did anyone notice last night that MTV/JS, which films the show in some kind of "home movie" effect.....did NOT use that effect with the bar scenes. Nope, and after Teach SOCKED Snooki, MTV cameramen stayed right on Teach....followed him all over the bar and out the door until the cops grabbed him. Then Teach YELLS OUT, "I only PUSHED her".......so now we know he is violent AND a LIAR!
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by gamer83;3771597;
    As far as I know, an attorney only bills their client for a percentage of any judgment collected. If a judge rules in favor of the plaintiff, the only cost would be to file the judgment, which would not be that costly at all. I'm sorry you seem to take this so personally. I don't think it's appropriate to demean another person's values, such as principles.

ETA: It's not just "to satisfy some sort of principle." It is also a criminal matter - physical assault. And yes, I do know suing would be a civil matter.
    Last edited by daiseyo; 12-18-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: edited to add statement.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3771847;

You articulated my thoughts so much better than I could. Thank you.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by gamer83;3771898;
    I just get a kick out of how on the internet everyone just yells "SUE!", when in reality it's much more complicated than it appears on Judge Judy. I think Snookie, assesed her own situation and did what was best for her, not what satifies your "principles".
    For as many people "on the internet yelling "SUE!", there are just as many people on the internet who feel the need to prove them wrong. It is also not as "complicated" as you want to make it seem. And no, I have not sued anyone, but I do know how the system works. Every case is different, but it really isn't all that costly, nor complicated.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Why bother editing it in the first place? That's what I don't get. But MTV knows what they're doing, and it was probably their intention all along. This show beats all types of trainwreck TV. I doubt he thought he was lying, he was probably drunk and didn't realize what he had done. I saw the original punch and neither he nor Snooki looked like they were in their right mind at the time. Snooki's probably enjoying her newfound celebrity to care about suing. She'll likely do it when the limelight stars fading and MTV finds a new group of Guidos for next season to get drunk, make out with everyone in sight, and go bar hopping and get in fights.

Closed Thread